If one coordinator was guaranteed to walk…

Brand J

If one coordinator was guaranteed to leave…  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather it was Daboll or Frazier?

• Daboll
    • Frazier

Frazier calls the defense the way McDermott wants it called. Make no mistake about that. They are both in lock step about how they want to play defense. So even if Frazier is gone, McDermott will just bring in someone else to run McDermott’s version of this defense. But I’m in full agreement on let’s get the 2 third round picks for Frazier if he leaves. I’m all for that. 

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d pick Frazier on account he nets us two 3rd rounders should he become HC. Plus I think his defense is too passive. 

I'm hoping if Daboll leaves that it's revealed he's like, 1/16th Cherokee Native American. I THINK that would count...

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Billznut said:

Frazier calls the defense the way McDermott wants it called. Make no mistake about that. They are both in lock step about how they want to play defense. So even if Frazier is gone, McDermott will just bring in someone else to run McDermott’s version of this defense. But I’m in full agreement on let’s get the 2 third round picks for Frazier if he leaves. I’m all for that. 

So then the question becomes is McD’s defense too antiquated? If we’re expected to stop the top offenses in the league, should the scheme be changed to something more aggressive and less reliant on a DL that doesn’t often get home?

Not that i have ANY control in the matter, but if I did?

Frasier would be gone.

Not that i think he is a terrible coach. He did somehow coach one of the top ranked Ds this year. I think he can plan some excellent defensive gameplans.

But he doesn't seem to react quickly to the situation, as evidenced by the 13 seconds of doom.

Then again - Daboll didn't have Allen picking apart the KC secondary as soon as Mathieu went down either, so....

even if Frasier leaves the defense is not changing Sean is still playing the same style and that's fine but we need more talent on defense...  and it always starts with a dominating pass rusher....Tre was missed big time when it matter most last night (he's been the best player on the defense since his draft year). we need another guy that can take over in the front seven,  until we draft / sign someone the defense is what it is. 

I'll be glad to see Daboll go, but my answer for this poll is Frazier. Go out and hire a DC who has a plan for stopping the young wave of QBs that are about to wreak havoc on the AFC for the next 15 years. 

Or anyone who will promise to double team Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce with 13 seconds left in a playoff game.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Funny how last year everyone wanted Daboll to go after the poor offensive performance vs KC.

This really is a poor question though, of course everyone will say Frazier.

Would you still say Frazier if we didn’t get the draft picks?

13 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

So then the question becomes is McD’s defense too antiquated? If we’re expected to stop the top offenses in the league, should the scheme be changed to something more aggressive and less reliant on a DL that doesn’t often get home?

3-4

We're spinning our wheels playing a weak Dline - with potential sure.  But outside of Oliver and outside of playing against awful QBs, I don't see the point

Especially playing QBs as mobile as they are now 

I know I get it - teams go multiple.  But I think the 3-4 teams that's easy to see.  We have 3 useless hands on the ground every play plus Oliver who isn't that great of a pass rusher.  

And for some reason we had 4 hands on the ground with 13 seconds left last night when it should have been 2 at most.  

A 3-4 scheme thats an automatic 

Edited by Big Blitz

15 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I disagree……I don’t think McDermott micromanages the defense……I think he allows his coordinaters to call their game. 

• Like (+1) 2

Frazier.  I’ll attach a 3rd for someone to take him at this point.  

His defense is passive and doesn’t show up in the playoffs.  (Aside from a wind tunnel Lamar game and subzero Mac Jones).  

McDermott also needs a new voice in his ear on that side of the ball.   What happened last night is unacceptable.. from both the players and coaches.  Changes should be made but McDermott doesn’t have it in him to let go of Frazier.  I’d be shocked, and actually think he could be the HC we need if he does. 

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

3-4

We're spinning our wheels playing a weak Dline - with potential sure.  But outside of Oliver and outside of playing against awful QBs, I don't see the point

Especially playing QBs as mobile as they are now 

I know I get it - teams go multiple.  But I think the 3-4 teams that's easy to see.  We have 3 useless hands on the ground every play plus Oliver who isn't that great of a pass rusher.  

We don’t have the personnel at all to run a 3-4. We need a stud pass rusher to push this defense over the top, not a total reconstruction.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

We don’t have the personnel at all to run a 3-4. We need a stud pass rusher to push this defense over the top, not a total reconstruction.

That's the problem 

There is no Elite Pass Rusher store. 

Finding stud 4-3 DEs is legit harder to find then a QB

You want to start doing a serious scheme/personnel e v a l of this team - it starts with below average personnel on the dline running 4 hands on the ground every play that can't get home

That mobile QBs like Mahomes have zero issue avoiding.  

Edited by Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Frazier.  I’ll attach a 3rd for someone to take him at this point.  

His defense is passive and doesn’t show up in the playoffs.  (Aside from a wind tunnel Lamar game and subzero Mac Jones).  

McDermott also needs a new voice in his ear on that side of the ball.   What happened last night is unacceptable.. from both the players and coaches.  Changes should be made but McDermott doesn’t have it in him to let go of Frazier.  I’d be shocked, and actually think he could be the HC we need if he does. 

Someone had made a comment one time about Madden savants being much more savvy when it comes to game management because they’ve played thousands of hours on the game and have encountered hundreds of thousands of scenarios. Here’s an out of the box thought: hire the Madden winner as some sort of gameday consultant. I can almost guarantee if that person was on the sidelines yesterday and McD went up to him and said “what do you like here?” he would’ve suggested the squib but also a defense that rushes 2 and drops everyone else in coverage. It’s a crazy idea, but I think it has legs… if the coach’s ego would allow it.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Not agreeing we should change to a 3-4, but saying we need a stud pass rusher is like someone else saying “we just need an elite QB”.  They’re rarely ever available, and if they are, you’re going to pay…heavy.   Rams punted on their future to get a Von Miller rental.

Edited by SCBills

10 minutes ago, gordong said:

even if Frasier leaves the defense is not changing Sean is still playing the same style and that's fine but we need more talent on defense...  and it always starts with a dominating pass rusher....Tre was missed big time when it matter most last night (he's been the best player on the defense since his draft year). we need another guy that can take over in the front seven,  until we draft / sign someone the defense is what it is. 

I think we draft a stud CB2 in the first round to compliment Tre when he returns with a vengeance. We need to sign a splash pass rusher in FA. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think 34 defense is even a thing anymore. 

It is.  Probably half the league calls it their base but yes its all multiple now.

I still think QBs struggle most with this because of the blitzing and aggressiveness I see more with the 3-4 teams.  Mahomes toughest games have been against the Chargers and their 3-4 going back 3 years now.  

Pittsburgh, Arizona, New England, Miami, Baltimore, and speaking of Staley the Rams kept it after he left to name a few. 

Feel like this 4-3 is easy to figure out.  And if your front 4 can't get home then why are we sticking with 2 hand in the ground DEs?  Because the system.  Well why am I running that if I don’t have the horses to do it?  

Copy cat league on offense but the defensive guys always seem off limits to changing things up.  I think the jury is still out on Staley as head man but by all accounts the guy knows defense in 2022.  That's why the Chargers if they figure it out will be a problem. 

“There really is a gear that you gotta be able to get to in terms of operating,” Staley said. “When you see a formation, when you’re in a personnel grouping, when there’s an unscouted look that maybe you didn’t see in the preparation, how quickly do you respond to it? And then how quickly do you make adjustments within the game? … I think we’ve been able to do that better and better each week.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2021/1/13/22228075/rams-defense-los-angeles-brandon-staley-aaron-donald-jalen-ramsey

Brandon Staley built the NFL's most modern defense with the Rams. Will it work with the Chargers?

"But the early-down stuff we’ve talked about wasn’t really dependent on their extraordinary gifts. On first and second down, Ramsey was playing a deep quarter most of the time. Donald was lined up like a run-stuffing defensive end in an old 3-4 defense. Having great players in those spots is obviously a good thing, but the list of players who can adequately fill those roles is long."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-chargers-brandon-staley-defense-scheme-film

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d pick Frazier on account he nets us two 3rd rounders should he become HC. Plus I think his defense is too passive. 

forgot about the 2 3rd rounders.  I'd rather he walk because he is WAY too passive.  His defense is from the 90's, and he fails to adapt in game.  The other team knows what he does, adjusts, and he has nothing.  The failure against KC was epic, and quite frankly, if he does not get another job should be fired.  

31 minutes ago, klos63 said:

When the defense plays well, it's Mcdermott's scheme, when they play poorly, it's on Frazier. Not taking sides, just stating the general consensus here.

yeah, does seem to be a thing.  Also seems to be we only play aggressive against the cupcake QBs.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I'd pick Frazier b/c I would like to see him upgraded.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's going anywhere and he's not going to be replaced this off-season.

So get used to him.

Unfortunately, the guy leaving will be Daboll and that is going to be pretty disruptive to the team.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

When the defense plays well, it's Mcdermott's scheme, when they play poorly, it's on Frazier. Not taking sides, just stating the general consensus here.

I think plenty of us are extending blame to McDermott last night.  

Impossible to think he didn’t know what was going on with his timeout shenanigans at the end of the game. 

• Agree 1

If the fan base pushes it?  Something could get done someone has to take responsibility for that defensive game plan.  Last year Dabol apologized to the players for calling a bad game.  Does Frazier apologize to Josh Allen?    Has Frazier said anything except blame others.  He is the most arrogant coordinator next to Greg Williams, that came to Buffalo and  his piss poor play calling rivals Greg’s. When the Defense is playing bad blame others,  when they play  good he runs around saying that is all me and does not give props to his players. When they play good he should  have a shirt made like Barry Horowitz had with a big hand print on his left shoulder to tap himself on his back but when they bad he should a shirt made with the finger pointed in the opposite direction.I believe he still has anger towards the Bills for not hiring him as coach back in 07 but now he thinks he is running the Bills and McDermott is mini me from Austin Powers.

• Eyeroll 1

For you older folks, Frazier, who i like, reminds me of Walt Corey, solid, but not aggressive enough. We brought in Wade and the defense became dynamic.  Maybe we need that type of infusion to match our dynamic offense.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

We're probably going to lose Daboll AND Frazier.  And I'm worried that Daboll will take some of the Bills offensive players with him.

I would expect him to try to sign McKenzie and maybe a players off the practice squad. But the Giants are in lousy cap position. Schoen needs to do what Beane did and clear out a lot of contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Not agreeing we should change to a 3-4, but saying we need a stud pass rusher is like someone else saying “we just need an elite QB”.  They’re rarely ever available, and if they are, you’re going to pay…heavy.   Rams punted on their future to get a Von Miller rental.

They didn’t punt on their future, they gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick, for a top 10 edge rusher, you weren’t getting that impact out of those draft slots.

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Yes, but they can now tag him or sign him to an extension 

Of course, but they're going to have to pay him, on a team that's already cash strapped, and now doesn't have those picks.  

I get why they did it, but they're going to have to pay the piper at some point.  They are up against the cap and have no picks.  

Similar to the Saints, who went for it, and then eventually had to punt a year. 

Edited by SCBills

15 hours ago, SCBills said:

We already have the franchise QB in place…..we can throw a bunch of picks to trade up and get an elite pass rusher if one is identified in the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.