Squib kick

VaMilBill

Kicking out of the end zone with only 13 seconds left wasn’t the big blunder. A squib kick could have been immediately kneeled down, anyway.  Playing soft prevent 2 plays in a row was the blunder.  That was horrible defense. I agree that Hill’s short crossing route that he turned into a 64 yd TD probably scared us into the prevent decision.  Still, that was what cost us the game.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Also the playoff game in Houston!

His prevent defense Scheme is horrible!

What we saw supports the old football axiom: "The only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning."

Especially with Kelce and Hunt and those other fast shifty guys.  You can't let them run around open like that.

I do have to give the defense credit for stopping that Kelce run option.  Good job.

• Like (+1) 3

Kick it in the end zone and Mahomes has to get 35 yards in 13 seconds to try a field goal.

Squib's are to prevent a long return, but will be fell on with no time off the clock and make it so he has to go 20 or 25 yards in 13 seconds, which is a lot more likely. 

The kick to the five would have been my choice, but the chances of a big runback are really higher than Mahomes gaining 35+ yards on two quick plays.

Strategically the biggest flaw was rushing four instead of three on those plays.  We hadn't gotten to him all night with four (our D-Line was close a lot but definitely came up short on the night), and having one extra defender increases the chance of an incompletion or a short play, but also gives the time to cover to avoid one 35 yard chunk.

The biggest thing this team needed was one defender to make one better play out of about 20 that went against us. Will be nice to get Tre back, but the secret to beating Mahomes's Chiefs like Brady's Pats before is getting pressure with four rushers. Couldn't do that and contain him tonight and that's why 42 points were on the board when all was said and done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Question:

Assume a short kick to the 5 yd line.  Returner catches it & immediately kneels down, does the clock stop then or only when the returner is touched?  I think only when the returner is touched and that the rule is different for a kneel down in the end zone.

1 minute ago, Old Coot said:

Question:

Assume a short kick to the 5 yd line.  Returner catches it & immediately kneels down, does the clock stop then or only when the returner is touched?  I think only when the returner is touched and that the rule is different for a kneel down in the end zone.

Returner calls fair catch and no time comes off the clock.

I suppose the fun thing about losing this way is that we get to learn that a ton of people that cover the NFL don't understand how the game clock works with regards to squib kicks. It's pretty amazing seeing all these national writers, former coaches, players, etc. that think it's impossible to kneel a kick.

5 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Question:

The clock stops the moment the returner gives themselves up. Realistically if the ball was kicked to the 5 yard line, they probably let it bounce and see if it reaches the end zone (which it almost certainly would) and it turns into a touchback just like we gave them.

while the squibb kick was technically the right move if your team cannot prevent another team from getting downfield and within goal range with only 13 seconds on the clock its doubtful they don't deserve to win and even worse  probably wouldn't get to and win the big game (i.e. The SuperBowl) anyways.

9 hours ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

And how do you

not

tjrpw the red chAllnage flag when Gabe went sideline. You never know how the replay guys will call it was so close on the bobble they might overturn 

It was a tough call to not challenge but the chances of winning were low as he double clutched it. Saving the TO instead of burning it on a low probability challenge was the right decision. 

• Agree 1

long kick was really bad, rushing 4 was worse.

the worst thing to was the sidelines prevent when kc has all 3 timeouts.  we allowed 4 free runners with no defenders around them for 15 yards.  that's shockingly bad.  rush 2 drop 9, cover and have a delayed rush w the 2 linemen.  it forces the qb to move at least a little, survey the field, and chew up clock.  if they complete the pass, then we have multiple guys in zone ready to tackle.  you have a good chance of even preventing a first down on the first play, and it still burns 5+ seconds.  do that twice, and it's all over w the win.

huge huge coaching failure, and for my taste, it's one too many for the coaching staff we have.  we need some changes.

11 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Dumbest decision all night at the absolute worst time. It would have killed 4-5 seconds and given them about same field position. Stupid

I've heard this from local talking heads as well but I disagree.  The choices as I see them were:
1) Squib or kick it high and short to force a return in theory to burn some clock.  The problem with this is you put the ball in the hands of Hill with some open field in front of him.  Hill is the fastest and shiftiest player in the NFL and had been giving the Bills a thorough screwing all game. Not a great option IMO.

2) Kick away and make Mahomes go 75 yards in just over a minute and 3 timeouts.  The way the Bills D played all game also not a wonderful option, but not difficult to believe your #1 rated defense in several categories could pull their heads out of their butts for a few seconds of game time and close out the game.

I have said for some time I don't believe McCoach makes good in game decisions.  Too much with his heart and not enough with his head.  But I don't have any problem with that decision at all.

Edited by CodeMonkey

50 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

while the squibb kick was technically the right move if your team cannot prevent another team from getting downfield and within goal range with only 13 seconds on the clock its doubtful they don't deserve to win and even worse  probably wouldn't get to and win the big game (i.e. The SuperBowl) anyways.

Nah.. this hurts so much because this team, like now KC, would be the Super Bowl favorite.  If Butker misses that 48 yarder, we are the odds on favorites to win the SB today. 

As bad as the Defense was, there is no Buffalo or KC left for the other team to worry about.  

Maybe the Rams, but Stafford is a notch below Allen and Mahomes.  

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

It's fireable. 

All of them.

The coaches have permanent loser stink on them now 

Not dealing with this and in 5 years wonder if we just had better coaches

Hire Sean Peyton 

Oh give it up. Peyton won one super bowl with Drew Freaking Brees. Consistent playoff losses over the last decade + and somehow doesn't have "loser stink"? 

Grow up.

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

Ok, but the Chiefs allowed two Allen touchdowns in 2 minutes and they deserved to win? Give me a break.

The idea that the Bills just "weren't good enough" is laughable. This came down to two good teams battling it out to the last seconds, and unfortunately it came down to whoever failed to recognize that we should squib kick it.

33 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

They legit acted like the Chiefs were going to quit.

This is the only explanation between not squib kicking and the prevent defense. They thought they had won already. They wont make that mistake again.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Oh give it up. Peyton won one super bowl with Drew Freaking Brees. Consistent playoff losses over the last decade + and somehow doesn't have "loser stink"? 

Grow up.

Yep.  

Usually you win with elite QBs yes that is correct thank you.   

Also his overall body of work including this year....yep.  

Edited by Big Blitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.