Squib kick

VaMilBill

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.  

Usually you win with elite QBs yes that is correct thank you.   

Also his overall body of work including this year....yep.  

Sean Payton

2006 - NFCCG Loss

2007 - No Playoffs

2008 - No Playoffs

2009 - Super Bowl win

2010 - Wild Card Loss

2011 - Divisional Loss

2012 - No Playoffs

2013 - Divisional Loss

2014 - No Playoffs

2015 - No Playoffs

2016 - No Playoffs

2017 - Divisional Loss

2018 - NFCCG Loss

2019 - Wild Card Loss

2020 - Divisional Loss

2021 - No Playoffs (No Brees)

Arguably Sean McDermott has performed better on average than Sean Payton in his first 5 years and McD didnt even have a 4-5 year veteran in Brees for 40% of it like Payton did.

No McD hasn't achieved the ultimate goal yet, but he will. 

Your argument to shake it up and tear everything down for a guy that is more likely to lose a playoff game is just plain stupid. Ridiculously stupid.

Sean McDermott

2017 - Wild Card Loss (No Allen)

2018 - No Playoffs

2019 - Wild Card Loss

2020 - AFCCG Loss 

2021 - Divisional Loss

It boils down to the coaching staff unbelievably thinking this game was out of reach for the chiefs. They wont make that mistake again. 

Edited by What a Tuel

47 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

If they flop on top of the ball and "give themselves up" or just kneel it down it'll function the same as a fair catch. Maybe 1-2 seconds off the clock 

1 or 2 seconds changes everything. We may be talking hail mary, let alone that the returner may have thought that was their only chance and tried to make something happen wasting 3-6 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Simon said:

No squib, but the high hanger from Bass to the 5 that they've been covering perfectly all year was the call there.

McDermott doesn't make a lot of mistakes but that one was probably his biggest ever.

He doesn’t?!

I think you meant to say: “McDermott makes a lot of mistakes in most close games AND that was definitely the biggest ever”

• Agree 1

So the NFL rule is different than the college rule for kickoffs. In college you can fair catch the KO and get it at the 25. In the NFL, if you fair catch it you get it at the spot of the fair catch. So the Chiefs could fair catch lose no time but get it at the 10. Let’s say the run it that wastes at least 4-5 seconds. So let’s say their at the 30 now with 9 seconds left. 

On first down from the 30 you mug everybody just mug them and keep two deep safeties in case someone gets lose. Ball either gets caught for 15 yards or we get a 5 yard penalty. So there is now either the ball at the 50 for a 68 Yard FG or a Hail Mary into the end zone 

• Agree 1

In the moment and even now I'm ok with kicking deep. I hate special teams and I do not want a bunch of backups on the field determining the outcome of the game.  Yes if a high short kick to the 5 was covered it would have burned more clock. 

I'm not going to criticize McD for that decision.  It was the choices to rush four and defend against a TD instead of dropping 9 into coverage to prevent the yards. He called timeout twice and still Kelce gets a free release. 

McD lost us a chance at a championship.  For many of us it was our biggest worry going into this year. 

20 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I don't get why so many people are saying this?

If we squibbed it the Chiefs would've most likely fell on the ball and had the same amount of time to work with. 

The defense chocked big time and lost us the game. 

If we got a proper squib or pooch kick to the 10 yard line and they fell on the ball that's 15 yards worse field position. That Whole game is different if they:

A- start at the 10 with 13 seconds

Or 

B- start at the 25-30 with 8 seconds

• Agree 1

For me, in real time I did not like the kick into the end zone. Imho, kicking it into the end zone was the incorrect call. The crucial point was burning seconds off the clock! The kick into the end zone couldnt accomplish this. The risk reward imho was much greater by squib kicking it or a high floater kick to about the 10 yard line. Question that I haven't seen addressed. Do you think the Chief player would have tried to run back the ball? What would have been the Chiefs strategy? I'm sure they wanted three plays for Mahomes. A high floater to the 10 or 15 yard line leaves the Chiefs return man in a difficult decision. Run it, fair catch it, run it a little and then take a knee, etc...Point being the clock was our friend and the kick into end zone didn't move it one second. Maybe I'm wrong...

Edited by newcam2012

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.