Squib kick

VaMilBill

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Fine, might be true.  But this is a game that really shouldn't have gotten there.  13 seconds?  13 seconds?  There is no getting beyond that for me.

but it did and allen didn't get to touch the ball in OT

There needs to be some fresh faces on the sideline and McD will need to make some difficult decisions.

Fans distrust in the OC and DC have been completely validated (although I thought DaBoll was very good in the playoffs). It’s a real possibility that they’ve peaked under their current coordinators.

Bills defense has been down right bad the last few years in situations where it’s a tight game and they are playing a good team. 

57 minutes ago, Simon said:

No squib, but the high hanger from Bass to the 5 that they've been covering perfectly all year was the call there.

McDermott doesn't make a lot of mistakes but that one was probably his biggest ever.

And those we’ve been tackling them at the 20 or less.  May have had more yards for kc to gain.

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i have seen a lot of squib kicks that burn like 4-5 seconds, but also end up at the 40 yard line. I think that’s what the staff was worried about. 

I’d take that still gives them one play to get on FG range…maybe. They can basically run a 15 yard route 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I sort of get being terrified of Hill after what he did to us in the second half.  We should have dropped everyone back with 13 seconds though.  Hill and Kelce should have been completely bracketed.  Let Mahomes run around for 10 seconds waiting for someone to get open.

Exactly,  no time came off the clock because they had no press coverage. They should have had two guys holding both Hill and Kelce,  stupid coaching

43 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes they should have sqibbed it.  But the D gave up three drives where one stop wins is the game.  It’s on the D.

I got to blame McD.  13 seconds from victory.  Yeah the D and O had their moments but in the end 13 seconds from victory.  McD all way is to blame imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Dumbest decision all night at the absolute worst time. It would have killed 4-5 seconds and given them about same field position. Stupid

WRONG. It would only cost that much time if a KC player fumbled around for the ball. Field it cleanly and kneel down. 1 second off the clock. Same chance for two plays. Squibb would make no difference, other than give KC even better field position.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hope the nfl changes their OT rules that allows both QBs to have a chance to win the game for their teams. It’s never made sense to me after watching college adapt. 

ladies and agents..  it’s been a helluva season that culminated in the greatest football game ever played. 17 did what he could.  Too bad he was deprived of another opportunity due to a coin toss.

i shed tears when 17 to 13 happened.  It felt great. I’ll take that with me into the offseason with hopes that next season won’t end with the same heartbreak and I’ll be able to end the season with tears of joy. It felt amazing….until it didn’t.  

we’ll be back. 💯 

There is no excuse to ever go to OT when there are only 13 seconds left. Squib kick, literally tackle all the eligible receivers...who cares... its a 5 yard penalty and Mahomes has to hold the ball, leaves him with one play instead of two from there.

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Sean all but admitted they screwed up the kickoff,  would have been around 7-8 secs left.  You just cannot afford to make these dumb coaching mistakes but we are just not good enough on defence

I keep reading we should have squibbed it.

To me a squib kick is one that goes about 20 to 30 yards down the middle of the field  We do that, clock doesn't start till KC player touches it. So he catches it and immediately goes down.  Now they have ball at maybe 35 or 40 and play takes 1 maybe at most 2 seconds off clock.

Kicking it high and short, agree would have made sense as would have forced KC  to return it.  But things can go wrong even then.

To me bigger issue was rushing 4  Instead rush 2 or 3, let Mahomes scramble all around then burning up time.  Do like the defense holding 5 yard penalty idea, unless that could be ruled unsportsmanlike conduct if deliberate??

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

WRONG. It would only cost that much time if a KC player fumbled around for the ball. Field it cleanly and kneel down. 1 second of the clock. Same chance for two plays. Squibb would make no difference, other than give KC even better field position.

if we kick to the 5 , let them kneel on it.

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I actually like the non-squib kick decision. 

If your opponent has the ball at their own 25 yard line with 13 seconds left down by 3, you have like a 99.9% chance of winning the game. 

All you have to do is not give up 50 yards on 2 plays. 

obviously not

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Funny too, read article that Allen hadn't lost coin toss on road all season, tonight lost two.

I am pretty sure he always calls tails… he did again tonight. How many times did he think tails would keep coming up in a row?? Inquiring minds want to know! 

I was 100% expecting the squib kick. I think it would’ve taken 4 to 6 seconds off the clock leaving KC with only 1 play to get it done. We coach so gutless in the last 2min of that game. I also think that there should be a rule change for the playoffs. 10 min over time 2 time outs if it’s still tied after that then go to this crap coin toss in the winner setup.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Listen to the presser… “we talked about it, it starts with execution, and that’s on me”

What he’s saying is, bass was supposed to kick it short and didn’t. 

doesn't want to hang his players out to dry. That’s what leaders do. 

When Bass intentionally kicks it short, he takes no run-up to the ball. I guess I would have to go back And watch, but I don’t remember him doing that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.