Postgame Thread DAMMIT!

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

Buffalo needs to figure out how to make sure Hill & Kelce don't beat them.

White being out really put stress on how we played Hill. Romo pointed out that the middle cross wasn’t defended in the scheme. White helps there and all pro best db 

We need an D end that can actually disrupt … watching Bosa, Watts, etc it’s impressive what a single all pro DL player can do

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Makes me even more upset in hindsight at how Josh and the offense rolled down the field late in the game, in urgent mode.  Why couldn't they do some of that in the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs when they sleep walked through it?  We blew some drives with 2 yard runs and 1 yard sideline passes.  Just maddening.  We could've hung 50 on them.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Everyone said we're built to beat KC.  But apparently those 3 young guys didn't get the memo. Rousseau,  AJE and Boogie were complete non factors tonight. And as far as Addison & Jerry go, they're both gone.  We're going to be forced to keep drafting DE's for the next several years. 

I'm not sure AJE was ever supposed to have a ceiling like Bosa or Watt.  He seems like he was more or less a replacement for Lawson, who in my opinion would have been a better pass rusher than anyone we had out there minus maybe Oliver.  First year guys frequently need a year to develop and I can still see Rousseau getting better.  Best case scenario with what we have (imho) is that Oliver and Phillips get even better at being disruptive and collapsing a pocket and our younger DE's can clean up because the QB can't step up all the time.  The years that we had significantly higher sack numbers we had DT's that could break down a pocket.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

I'm not sure AJE was ever supposed to have a ceiling like Bosa or Watt.  He seems like he was more or less a replacement for Lawson, who in my opinion would have been a better pass rusher than anyone we had out there minus maybe Oliver.  First year guys frequently need a year to develop and I can still see Rousseau getting better.  Best case scenario with what we have (imho) is that Oliver and Phillips get even better at being disruptive and collapsing a pocket and our younger DE's can clean up because the QB can't step up all the time.  The years that we had significantly higher sack numbers we had DT's that could break down a pocket.

Let me introduce some certainty.  Epenesa was NEVER expected to be an all pro, sack leader, or defensive MVP.

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure when people are gonna figure out that individual players aside from the QB aren't impacting the game nearly as much as they think, especially on defense.  Tre being out hurt, sure.  But they lost with him last year in the AFC CG.  On a McD coached team, the CBs are zone types anyway so you're not gonna feature Champ Bailey in his prime.    

The defensive scheme and players drafted/signed to fit that scheme need to be in the spotlight.  And the guy who built the scheme and pushed for player acquisition was the one botching the end of the game last night.  A game where his QB threw 2 TD passes in the final few minutes of the game.  

Elite defenses don't exist anymore and haven't in almost 20 years.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

No doubt it was a pathetic effort. They played scared like they thought the next play was going to be another pass to Hill taking it to the house.

Bingo.  They played scared the last 15 seconds.

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Not sure when people are gonna figure out that individual players aside from the QB aren't impacting the game nearly as much as they think, especially on defense.  Tre being out hurt, sure.  But they lost with him last year in the AFC CG.  On a McD coached team, the CBs are zone types anyway so you're not gonna feature Champ Bailey in his prime.    

The defensive scheme and players drafted/signed to fit that scheme need to be in the spotlight.  And the guy who built the scheme and pushed for player acquisition was the one botching the end of the game last night.  A game where his QB threw 2 TD passes in the final few minutes of the game.  

Elite defenses don't exist anymore and haven't in almost 20 years.  

There's elite then there is a defense giving up 45 yards in 10 seconds.

44 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Were talking a bit on wgr this morning about how last year in the afc championship game the bills were not aggressive enough on offense, and how this year they wernt aggressive enough on defense, and I agree. The entire game was really a pathetic showing for the defense. You would've thought the Chiefs players covered themselves in grease the way the bills were missing tackles 

Disagree here. The Chiefs are arguable the best offense in the league especially at home in big games. Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill are virtually unstoppable when they get it rolling. The Bills defense faced a huge uphill obstacle last night. All three of their superstars played great last night. I don't see any current defense who could have stopped them. Most of us knew this game was going to be a shootout. Add in no Tre and the defensive task was daunting. I get blaming the coaches and the defense. There is validity there. It the last 13 seconds which haunts me. To let Kelce run free is beyond a collasal mistake. 

52 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

And Josh Allen + Bills offense is better than KC defense. They certainly were in crunch time life or death moment and stuck a dagger in the Chiefs heart. So what does it mean? The NFL is about offense now, not the defenses like in the 80’s and 90’s when you could punish offensive players physically. This was a tactical error on the part of Bills coaches in the final moments. Nothing more or less. 

No idea what he said but thanks for the contribution to the forum. 

That the #1 ranked defense let Josh Allen and the Bills down. Defensive minded HC and coordinator couldn’t come up with a plan to stop 13 seconds from happening 

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

What?

Defensive minded HC and coordinator didn’t have plan to stop 13 seconds from happening 

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

To me, it wasn't just the game tying FG that did it, it was the MANNER that KC got the FG.  If Butker had connected from 63 yards or if Mahones did a Houdini escape from a rush to complete a pass or if a receiver had made a spectacular play (like Eli Manning and David Tyree in the Super Bowl), I think it makes it a little bit easier to live with.  But there was nothing like that.  They moved 45 yards in two plays with no opposition whatsoever.  It's like the only thing we were protecting against was a Hail Mary.  Should have kicked short and should have played D knowing that anything inside our 45 gives them a chance to tie the game.  

I agree with this. When Watson had a Houdini escape from Milano in January 2020 - what looked like a sure sack - I had to say "hats off." 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree here. The Chiefs are arguable the best offense in the league especially at home in big games. Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill are virtually unstoppable when they get it rolling. The Bills defense faced a huge uphill obstacle last night. All three of their superstars played great last night. I don't see any current defense who could have stopped them. Most of us knew this game was going to be a shootout. Add in no Tre and the defensive task was daunting. I get blaming the coaches and the defense. There is validity there. It the last 13 seconds which haunts me. To let Kelce run free is beyond a collasal mistake. 

Mid game offense we had a number of just unfathomable play calls. We should have threatened them the whole game, instead of taking a few drives to involve Gilliam in the gameplan or whatever was going on there. I don't really blame the defense for much of the game, but those last 13 seconds are a failure of nerve and intellect.

• Agree 1

What sucks about losing a game like that? It means nothing. I dont buy it is a learning experience, etc. These guys have been there before and it may provide some motivation but its more of a let down at this point than a learning experience. Think about anything you are really good at - when something blows it up and you have to start over pisses you off more than I learned so much. I have no positives to take from this game. I knew Allen was this good, I knew they could play with the Chiefs. It sucks the D could not hold its end of the bargain. So my only positive is that once the pain wears off there is the hope for next year, which can be a better feeling and more enjoyable than a season following a super bowl win. So we got that going for us...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Mid game offense we had a number of just unfathomable play calls. We should have threatened them the whole game, instead of taking a few drives to involve Gilliam in the gameplan or whatever was going on there. I don't really blame the defense for much of the game, but those last 13 seconds are a failure of nerve and intellect.

I replayed the last 13 seconds over. It's really hard to understand what the Bills were trying to do. On the first play, all the Bill's players are at about the Chiefs 45 yard line. I guess their strategy was don't get beat long. Basically, they gave the Chiefs a free 20 yard play. I guess they figured having the Chiefs at their 40-45 yard line with 8 seconds to go is a very good situation.  Making the Chiefs have one last play to get 15 yards or so for a long field goal. The next play was a killer. Not sure if it was a broken play, Bills caught off guard, missed assignment, etc...Kelce just runs a straight line route off the line of scrimmage is "untouched" and wide wide open. Easy catch and throw. How in the world could the Bills allow that? It's one thing if he was double covered, bumped at the line of scrimmage and then makes an "Odel" type of catch. I can live with that. For the life of me, can anyone explain what happened? How did the Bills allow it to happen? What were they thinking? 

Another thought that's been heavily debated is the kick off. I totally get not wanting to risk a big kick off return. A poor squib kick could have resulted in great field position. Maybe the ball goes out of bounds? Or an up man fields it cleanly at the 30 or 35 yard line. A high short kick and you get a fair catch anywhere near the 20 or 30. Those are worst case scenarios but still have to be evaluated in your decision. My take is the game clock was of the up most importance. Top priority was to get 3-5 seconds off that clock. Plus, a very successful kick could have almost sealed the win. The lesser of 2 evils was to squib or high kick it. Basically, limiting the times Mohames has the ball in his hands. Make it a 2 play game and one of the plays is a fg. Thus, Mahomes would have had only one play to achieve a FG attempt. Of course it's much easier after the fact. What's clear to me is the Bills couldn't hold onto the lead with 13 seconds to go. For that reason, they didn't deserve to win the game. It's inexcusable. There wasn't some miraculous, fluke, or Franco Harris play. It was poor coaching and execution by our defense. Make me infuriated. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

Were talking a bit on wgr this morning about how last year in the afc championship game the bills were not aggressive enough on offense, and how this year they wernt aggressive enough on defense, and I agree. The entire game was really a pathetic showing for the defense. You would've thought the Chiefs players covered themselves in grease the way the bills were missing tackles 

i actually asked during the game day thread if the kc players were greased down.   

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

Makes me even more upset in hindsight at how Josh and the offense rolled down the field late in the game, in urgent mode.  Why couldn't they do some of that in the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs when they sleep walked through it?  We blew some drives with 2 yard runs and 1 yard sideline passes.  Just maddening.  We could've hung 50 on them.

Its like they thought they could be smart running the ball and keeping the chiefs off the field.   should have known from the start it was going to be a shoot out to win.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.