Referee tendencies could lead to physical Bills vs. Chiefs game

HOUSE

image.png.3020bb3484c9d7241d5ec2619afee632.png

John Hussey

The head referee for the game will be John Hussey, whose crew is known for a very “let them play” approach relative to his fellow officiating teams. A graph outlining this was completed by “footballzebras” using data from nflfastR:

As you can see, Hussey’s crew has a tendency to swallow their whistles a little more than their striped comrades, and given the way the last couple of games have played out between these two teams, it could end up mattering.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/1/20/22892344/opinion-referee-tendencies-could-lead-to-physical-buffalo-bills-kansas-city-chiefs-game

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Expect the same game plan as last years AFC championship game…. Chiefs blitz and hold our receivers as much as they can get away with. Hopefully Bills have a plan for it.

Well. The Running game will help,a lot 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

The problem is that when you commit a foul it should be called (particularly PI & Holding Receivers).  It is ticky-tack fouls like holding on linemen that bother me.

The best thing honestly that can happen is that they do call 1-2 defensive holding penalties early on both teams (if they are aggressive), telling them they can't get away with it and force them to adjust.      

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

We lost last year because they were holding our wrs down field. This isn’t welcome news. 

That’s not why we lost. In contributed to the loss.  Sure.  Our coaches were the reason we lost.  Frazier and Mcdermott coached like Belicheat did this past Saturday.  They were overwhelmed with no answers.  

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What this means to me:  the bills will be called for 3+ DPIs

LOL.  I hear ya.  But looking at the other side, I think we have the receivers (and QB) to make KC pay for press coverage.  The difference between this year and last year, having our OL playing at a high level and having all of our receivers healthy, is going to be significant.  Add in Li’l Dirty and the “quick twitch” he brings to the table, and I see a lot of big plays for Buffalo on offense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We need to match the intensity and the guy to get some good “clean” shots in at in my opinion is Kelce. I’ve seen a few Chiefs games where as soon as you get physical with him he seems to get rattled.. maybe it’s his age. But he is still super dangerous when running around freely. 

I think Poyer rang his bell in our last meeting. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Its pretty sad when teams need to adjust the game plan for the  assigned officials.

Very well said! Goodell needs to clean up the mess on Aisle Three. The fact this kind of story is even out there should make the commissioner’s office looking into quality control. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ladies and Genitals! Boys and Girls!!  Inmates and reprobates!!!

Lest us not forget that this ISN"T going to be Hussy's regular crew!!  It is going to be the hand picked "all stars" from the regular season.  If you can call them that!!!

Bottom line, the Bills WR's are HEALTHY!!  This isn't going to be the AFC Championship 2021 part 2.  New players, better schemes by the Bills and convicts on the Chefs team.  Andy's son is driving the team bus.  Relax folks - the Bills?  They got this!

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

John Hussey

The head referee for the game will be John Hussey, whose crew is known for a very “let them play” approach relative to his fellow officiating teams. A graph outlining this was completed by “footballzebras” using data from nflfastR:

As you can see, Hussey’s crew has a tendency to swallow their whistles a little more than their striped comrades, and given the way the last couple of games have played out between these two teams, it could end up mattering.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/1/20/22892344/opinion-referee-tendencies-could-lead-to-physical-buffalo-bills-kansas-city-chiefs-game

It's worth noting that Hussey will not be playing with his regular season crew in the playoff game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Again, I think your jumping the gun on the offensive line…. They’ve played much better but their improvement is going to be tested big time Sunday against Chris Jones and that Chiefs front. 

Hey man, you keep worrying...I'll look at what is now a 4-5 game body of work and how they are trending.

You be you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This might be my largest concern re: this game.  This "put the whistle away" crap is what allowed the Bucs to top the Packers in last years NFC title game and also was a factor in the Bills/Chiefs game.    A team has great WR talent, but the refs allow a bunch of 2nd tier DBs to maul them 10-15 yards down the field all day in the title game.  What the H is that ?   Here's hoping against hope that McD has reminded the league about this after last years mishandling in both title games.   

Go ahead and call nothing, but let the pick plays go as well.  Keep it loose on BOTH sides.   Kinda doubt that'll happen tho.  Chiefs back 4 will be mauling Diggs all over the field I predict. Gonna need to run it for sure.  Go bills. 

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

We lost last year because they were holding our wrs down field. This isn’t welcome news. 

And because we couldn't run the ball, and because all of our wr's we're injured. 

Also, we didn't put McKenzie in at wr much. We he got a shot he scored a TD. He's the one wr that can run away from "sticky" coverage and punish the D for it. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Beast said:

No excuses. As long as they call it the same for both teams.

the problem is KC plays man and Bills play zone.  Allowing the mauling oof WRs benefits press man D far more than Zone.  calling it "the same" means bills get no benefit and KC gets huge benefit.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If this crew refuses to enforce the rules then its time for the Bills to adjust , Both teams can cheat.....lol

Are the Bills too goody goody to do this?  If they actually did this, the Bills can copy the Boston Bruins 2011 Stanley cup run success formula: cheat on every play all game because you know the refs are not going to call everything and cant be everywhere at once!

Again, I think your jumping the gun on the offensive line…. They’ve played much better but their improvement is going to be tested big time Sunday against Chris Jones and that Chiefs front. 

We just played the #2 defense on points, #4 on yards, #4 on turnovers, #2 on passing NY/A, #24 on rush YPA, #11 for pressure % at 25.6%, #5 for hurry % at 12.5%.

Chiefs are #8 on points, #27 on yards, #26 for NY/A, #31 for rush YPA,  #6 for pressure % at 26.4%, #3 for hurry % at 13

I'm not trying to say the Chiefs are a bad D, and they have played much better the 2nd half of the season, but could you explain exactly why you feel the Chiefs will present such a different test?

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

We need to match the intensity and the guy to get some good “clean” shots in at in my opinion is Kelce. I’ve seen a few Chiefs games where as soon as you get physical with him he seems to get rattled.. maybe it’s his age. But he is still super dangerous when running around freely. 

I think Poyer rang his bell in our last meeting. 

He was my fantasy TE. he didn't do much for 6 weeks after that hit. I think he was injured by that hit.

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's worth noting that Hussey will not be playing with his regular season crew in the playoff game.

Hap - Hussy and his merry band of MISFITS better be WORKING not playing!!!!!  Just effing w ya brother.....

GO BILLS!!!

23 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

the problem is KC plays man and Bills play zone.  Allowing the mauling oof WRs benefits press man D far more than Zone.  calling it "the same" means bills get no benefit and KC gets huge benefit.   

Doesn't matter. As long as the refs are consistent that's all you can ask for.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

That’s not why we lost. In contributed to the loss.  Sure.  Our coaches were the reason we lost.  Frazier and Mcdermott coached like Belicheat did this past Saturday.  They were overwhelmed with no answers.  

That and the FG calls by McD.  KC can score and score quick - tons of speed at WR.  You can't be kicking in the red zone down 21-9 and 24-12.  Buffalo didn't get a stop for a loooong stretch in that game.  

The other reason we lost was a lot of struggles on the offensive line - couldn't run the ball effectively all day so we just got away from it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like it - go down swinging.  Score points.  Hit them and attack the catch points.  I don't see us playing as much cover 4 as KC has been killing teams with RPOs this year so i see a bit more cover 1 man to get poyer more in the box.  You can roll that safety to hill if he goes deep, but they've used him a lot in short stuff this year.  Kelce and Pringle will be the tough coverage assignments in this one.  Can milano break up those 3rd downs?  

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@ProcessTruster has a good point IMO.  It's like saying the refs are not calling downfield blocks on both teams, when one team runs a lot of RPOs and one team doesn't

Then adjust. Plain and simple. This sort of stuff has been going on since football was invented. It's like an umpire with a strike zone. Those are the breaks. The refs, as long as they are consistent, will not decide the ballgame.

18 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Hap - Hussy and his merry band of MISFITS better be WORKING not playing!!!!!  Just effing w ya brother.....

GO BILLS!!!

I do believe that have broken up crews for the playoffs, so each head ref has different crew members than he had for the regular season. So the analytics of who calls what so often may not hold up.

31 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I do believe that have broken up crews for the playoffs, so each head ref has different crew members than he had for the regular season. So the analytics of who calls what so often may not hold up.

No "do believe" the NFL HAS broken up crews and is rewarding games to the officials who effed up the least.....been doing this for years now.  Nothing new.

GO BILLS!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

John Hussey

This favors the Chiefs because they play man to man press coverage most of the time. The NFL should of pkd a better crew for this game . 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Expect the same game plan as last years AFC championship game…. Chiefs blitz and hold our receivers as much as they can get away with. Hopefully Bills have a plan for it.

Run draws with Motor or Josh, quick TE screen to Knox, and just run the damn ball down the Chiefs throat. They give up 4.8 yards a carry.

Mostly because of Chris Jones. He’s a gigantic difference maker and we couldn’t contain him last season. That guy changed the game IMO…. Along with the well timed and disguised Chiefs blitzes, Allen was consistently running backwards and taking gigantic losses. I absolutely think the Bills will be better prepared this time around as they were in the game earlier in the year, but the lines ability to block him is the key to the game. 

We literally had a different group of guys trying to block him last season.

Why do you believe a different group of OLmen will have the same result?

Why do you believe Chris Jones will have the same results?  His numbers overall are down vs last season, with almost exactly the same number of snaps.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I'll remember you posted your comment above while KC DBs are holding/mauling our WRs downfield long enough for Chris Jones to pound Josh into the turf.   This is how KC beat us last year, how TB beat GB (no way that should have happened), and for pete's sake this is how the Giants beat the Bills in the SB.  Play press and  Illegally beat the crap out of the WRs bc the refs "are letting them play".   All the while we are playing 2 deep zone.   BS.   It's not fair and the league (after seeing enough key games get stolen for lack of proper DPI refereeing - see Vikings/Saints as well where a DB mugging cost the game) needs to police their most important games.   I'm kind of not looking forward to watching the game as I f ing know this is going to happen and I will lose my mind over it.   Might be bourbon time for this one.  screw the beer.  Go bills. 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I'll remember you posted your comment above while KC DBs are holding/mauling our WRs downfield long enough for Chris Jones to pound Josh into the turf.   This is how KC beat us last year, how TB beat GB (no way that should have happened), and for pete's sake this is how the Giants beat the Bills in the SB.  Play press and  Illegally beat the crap out of the WRs bc the refs "are letting them play".   All the while we are playing 2 deep zone.   BS.   It's not fair and the league (after seeing enough key games get stolen for lack of proper DPI refereeing - see Vikings/Saints as well where a DB mugging cost the game) needs to police their most important games.   I'm kind of not looking forward to watching the game as I f ing know this is going to happen and I will lose my mind over it.   Might be bourbon time for this one.  screw the beer.  Go bills. 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.