PFR - Josh Allen the most valuable player in the NFL (AV) in 2021

dave mcbride

52 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

I need to quit my day job and make a clickbait sports site with stats categories I randomly make up.

Exactly.  Like the stats they are now creating: “First player under the age of 25 having 450 rush yards and 300 passing yards during every odd-numbered game through their first three seasons”

1 hour ago, Buffalo ill said:

I need to quit my day job and make a clickbait sports site with stats categories I randomly make up.

Well, that may be true in general. But PFR is no clickbait newcomer. You can argue with their methodology, but it's solid info.

Plus the fact that there's absolutely nothing sexy about the Pro Football Reference site. It is nerd bait if it's any kind of bait.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I think the only downside of this is I have seen a fair bit of "oline is fixed" type posting. It really isn't. All that has happened to my eye is Dion is back to being Dion and Josh is continuing to get away without being touched from what for any other QB is a clean sack.

Have you really?  Where

OL not fixed

Dion seems to have returned to form, though I don't discount the impact that perhaps Bates works more smoothly with him?

Bills seem to be using more gap run concepts that make better use of our OL's strengths

Bills also making use of extra OLman more often, and seem to have taken the viewpoint Doyle > Sweeney as a 2nd TE given that Sweeney didn't pull his weight as a receiver OR a blocker.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Maybe get a PhD in computational science first? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball-Reference.com (Baseball Reference is PFR's sister site and regarded by pretty much everyone as the gold standard for baseball stats.) 

Pro Football Reference is my go-to for player and team stats. It's great. I love it.

I think the entire difference is Bates at LG which forced Dawkins at LT and returned Brown to RT. Singletary hasn’t been so much better although his strength has been on display, the entire difference is the line play. Singletary and Moss weren’t missing holes before, there weren’t any. Pass protection similar. It’s not good it’s just not jailbreaks every play. Josh avoids the first guy like magic 90% of the time. The resurgence of the run game is not Singletary its Bates, Dawkins, Brown at RT and Williams at RG. 

14 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/leaders.htm

AV is their version of their sister site Baseball Reference's WAR (wins above replacement) and NBA Reference's VORP (value over replacement player). Allen is first at 19 this year. 

That’s very interesting and also not that surprising when you think about it. 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:41 AM, Big Turk said:

Surprising to see Hurts so high considering the Eagles aren't really sold on him.

The Eagles only win against a team with a winning record is against New Orleans. They piled up 5 wins against the Jets, Giants, Washington team twice and the Lions. Then 3 of their wins are against mediocre teams in the Broncos, Falcons and Panthers. Then you have their win against the Saints for their 9th win.

So perhaps Hurts beating up against bad teams skews numbers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.