Check the pressure in balls used by the Patriots

gjv001

1 minute ago, gjv001 said:

We all know that an underinflated football is better the throw, catch, and hang on to in cold weather. The Pats have a history with ball inflation, let us not be a victim.

Wouldn't the cold temperatures actually have a deflating effect on the ball already?

Edited by yall
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, yall said:

Wouldn't the cold temperatures actually have a deflating effect on the ball already?

The ideal gas law states that PV = nRT. So as T goes down, P x V must go down as well. However if additional air is pumped into the ball (more n), then the effect of lower T is negated.  So if they pump the balls up to a certain pressure while at at game temps, all is well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

The ideal gas law states that PV = nRT. So as T goes down, P x V must go down as well. However if additional air is pumped into the ball (more n), then the effect of lower T is negated.  So if they pump the balls up to a certain pressure while at at game temps, all is well. 

Enough of the P x V talk, this is a family-friendly message board 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

We all know that an underinflated football is better the throw, catch, and hang on to in cold weather. The Pats have a history with ball inflation, let us not be a victim.

why are you telling us to check the pressure?

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Seems to be a lot of laws about balls.  Not sure if that's a good band name, book title or some social issue....

• Haha (+1) 2

If it’s true, and footballs feel like bricks Josh should just unload everything he has into a fastball right at JC Jackson on the first play of the game.  Set up a bubble screen for Diggs, while Jackson is trying to maneuver himself, have josh unleash a ball into into Jackson’s newly broken hands. If they don’t break, no worries…..he’ll still drop the sure pick. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

When we bring the basketballs out of the trunk for practice they are all very soft. 20 minutes later they are fine. 

16 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wouldn't think he would have any interest, or Ms. Holliday would be receptive.  At least not after that drubbing.

"Not tonight Linda, I have a headache..."

You misunderstood my post .  I said "the Bills" not Bill.

LOL.  BB got nothing last night.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You misunderstood my post .  I said "the Bills" not Bill.

LOL.  BB got nothing last night.

I misunderstood nothing.  I have it on dubious information that Belichick wanders around his house referring to himself as 'the Bill'.  A sort of further refinement of referring to oneself in the third person. 😉😁

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Yay. I am back in Physics class.  The science geek in me loves it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.