*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

Stefanski is going into his 3rd season as HC. Every HC wants to bring in his own guy.

If he has any juice he wants out of Mayfield and to bring in his own guy (Cousins?) or make a move in the draft.

The Browns pick 13th. The Jets have picks 4 and 10 and are not in the market for a QB. The Browns are young team on paper and could handle a year of rookie growing pains without losing ground. 

The fan base is starting to turn on Mayfield and he's acting like someone trying to talk his way out of town. Seeing how well OBJ played in LA is having an effect as well. I think they should go their separate ways

On 2/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

There is no way Mayfield,  Jackson or Murray are worth a penny over 35/ yr. Anyone dumb enough to pay these guys over this will be in cap hell for a long time. 

I 100% agree with you. Jackson makes the best case of the 3, but no way am I even going to pay Lamar Josh Allen money. There's a big talent gap between the two and it will only increase as he ages and can't run like he does now. All things equal, they will always behind against us if they pay him that much. 

All 3 are starting to get beat up, but IMO Lamar is going to be the first to slow just due to the fact of how much he gets hit. People here are worried about Josh running and what it will do to him later down the road, but he only averages between 6-7 carries a game on a yearly basis. On top of that he's gotten alot better at sliding and going out of bounds, maybe not as much as us fans want him to, but those probably account for 2-3 of his carries a game. So he's only adding 4-5 additional hits a game and to be honest more often than not he's the one doing the hitting. Could be worse, Lamar has almost 200 more carries than Josh, in 3 less games, and he's 25 pounds lighter. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:06 PM, Don Otreply said:

If you realize that by future you mean what the are currently, it would take a special set of circumstances for Baltimore to be better than they were in the last two seasons, and that amounts to being “regular season “ maybe division winners, but true post season success would be unlikely, jmo. 

I agree. For one reason, Lamar's cap hit over the last 4 years has been next to nothing. Even this past season his cap hit was only 3 million. That all changes next year and the quality of talent around him is going to suffer. Add to that there's got to be a point, in the near future, that he's going to have to reduce the number of times he carries the ball.       

Josh runs quite a bit and Lamar has almost 200 more carries than him in 3 less games and he's 25 pounds lighter. Add to that Lamar's passing skills are no where near Josh's, so once there's less fear of him running, IMO he & the team will be in trouble then.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, elijah said:

Well, wouldn’t this be advantage Lamar strictly in terms of durability and long-term health? 

I would be more worried about the quick twitch running style of Lamar.  Those ligaments can only take so much strain and once he loses his legs, he becomes a non-dimensional QB.  Allen is usually bigger than the guys that tackle him when he takes off running.  I think secondary defenders hate tackling Allen.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Well, wouldn’t this be advantage Lamar strictly in terms of durability and long-term health? 

Did you see the stat in this thread that Lamar has ran nearly 200 more times than Josh?

Additionally, being the person making the hits generally means less likely to be injured. Josh is bigger, and delivers blows (to be fair, he takes his shots too), Lamar not so much. 

On 2/16/2022 at 2:33 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

Mock drafts.

lol.

You mock mock drafts?! 🤔

😁

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The latest from the Murray camp. I am a fan of players getting their pay. I'm not a fan of moves like this and negotiating in the press. Comes across to me as pretty classless.  Murray and his agent care more about the "power move". Josh Allen cares more about winning Super Bowls. 

Aw geez, now every NFL player of note will be needing a graphic designer to create a Transformer like avatar logo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The latest from the Murray camp. I am a fan of players getting their pay. I'm not a fan of moves like this and negotiating in the press. Comes across to me as pretty classless.  Murray and his agent care more about the "power move". Josh Allen cares more about winning Super Bowls. 

Tell Murray to Make the playoffs before he tries to be a little diva. I hate players like him

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

There is no way in hell that I would trade Baker AND a #1 for a midget QB.

The best I can do is give the Cardinals props for thinking outside the box a few years ago, since Murray would’ve been off my board.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, elijah said:

It is more of comparing a body at 211 lbs taking a hit vs a body at 240 lbs beating up Linebackers and DEs

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/teams/cle/cleveland-browns

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports that the Browns are "doing due diligence" on potentially available veteran quarterbacks.

"I heard lots of rumblings in the latter part of this week about Cleveland making a trade for a quarterback and possibly shipping out Mayfield," Graziano writes. The Browns have been regarded as a "wild card" entry to the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, and while they have committed to Baker Mayfield publicly, a "big fish" could reportedly change that. This article cautions that Mayfield is still the favorite to start for the Browns in 2022, but his hold on the job appears to be tenuous. 

Apparently not set in stone that Baker returns as the starter.  This rumor will surely not sit well with Baker and I'm sure he'll be unable to resist responding to it.  Hopefully this will get interesting...

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to *[EDIT]* Browns doing "due diligence" looking at veteran FA QBs pg. 29 --- Ravens and Browns now in a QB contract pickle

Their problem isn't that they didn't a contract done, it's that there's significant reasons to not get one done.. 

No way I'd give Baker a new contract. I'd be (and it seems like the Browns are..) looking for his replacement. 

On 1/4/2022 at 6:31 AM, Greg S said:

Baker isn't getting that big payday. To think he was the #1 pick in 2018. He has been a disappointment. They made a point last night saying the Browns offense runs thru Chubb and Hunt. What does that tell you about Baker as a #1 pick?

Not only does their offense not count on throwing it.. when the game needs Baker to start throwing.. it doesn't end well. He can play well when the offense is moving through the running game. It's a lot easier to play QB when you're getting 5.0 ypc from your backs. 

I remain steadfast in my belief that having a middling QB is worse than a bad one because you can easily dump the bad one. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Their problem isn't that they didn't a contract done, it's that there's significant reasons to not get one done.. 

No way I'd give Baker a new contract. I'd be (and it seems like the Browns are..) looking for his replacement. 

Not only does their offense throw it.. when the game needs Baker to start throwing.. it doesn't end well. He can play well when the offense is moving through the running game. It's a lot easier to play QB when you're getting 5.0 ypc from your backs. 

I remain steadfast in my belief that having a middling QB is worse than a bad one because you can easily dump the bad one. 

To be more specific on your point, it is terrible to have the 10-16 best QB because to get a major improvement is next to impossible and you can easily end up with a much worse team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

To be more specific on your point, it is terrible to have the 10-16 best QB because to get a major improvement is next to impossible and you can easily end up with a much worse team. 

It partially depends on is the issue entirely QB or is it the QB is in wrong scheme or with wrong OC?  Are the skill players the type who will work well with the QB?  Teams need to be adaptive or replacement will be in same situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.