*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

17 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I totally disagree with this take.

Baker certainly let those interactions impact him.  He walked on and I believe he started and alternated starting.  When he did not get all the accolades - he didn’t do what others do and stay and fight to win the job.  He took his ball and left.

He then went on to do amazing things at Oklahoma, but came into the NFL with attitude.

He has already multiple times complained about support and being treated “poorly” by the media for stories that have been shown to be true.  He has a complex and when he perceives a slight - it is not - I will work harder.  It seems to be move me or let me go where I am wanted.

I think much like Tua was messed up by Watson early last year - this will have an impact on Baker - especially if the trade falls through.

Baker is not mentally strong enough without getting 100% of the accolades and glory - he wants to be the man even if it is the worst thing for the team - see most of last year and the injury.

This 100x over.  Faker Mayfield is a mental midget fake tough guy.  Dude is so fragile. 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I don't think a single GM would take Watson over Allen right now

I think there are plenty that would if you go back a year and not all the off the field stuff comes into play. Obviously given the last year then I agree with you that no one would take Watson over Allen. 

And as a Browns fan I'm not sure I want to make the trade for Watson just simply given what it will take to get him.  Especially since there's still a decent chance he gets suspended for part of this year or next.

So Watson doesn’t want to go to Cleveland and the Texans would rather ship him to the nfc where there are also better offers, but the browns are meeting with him anyway sabotaging any remnants of a relationship they have with their #1 overall pick QB.  On brand. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So Watson doesn’t want to go to Cleveland and the Texans would rather ship him to the nfc where there are also better offers, but the browns are meeting with him anyway sabotaging any remnants of a relationship they have with their #1 overall pick QB.  On brand. 

The "Watson Effect." Miami and now Cleveland... Apparently, massage parlors aren't the only places susceptible to the downside of a relationship (or potential relationship) with Watson...

On 3/14/2022 at 10:37 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

They better move him now with all of this in the media.  I don't think Baker has the emotional maturity to deal with this kind of situation.  It's going to be a rough year for the Browns if he is still under center for them this season.

Baker's agent is looking for moving companies for him to be the new spokesman before he is traded.

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You would think that he wouldn’t want to go there, but he agreed to meet with them. Hopefully he goes to the NFC. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're missing a key point of the story, and possibly have a slightly different definition of "affect".

There was a previous year starter - but he was beaten out by TWO freshmen.  Davis Webb and Baker were both freshmen.  Baker did beat Webb out to start the season, but after that they were trading starts, and by some metrics Webb was better (Baker had more wins, but I don't know enough college football to judge how the level of competition in specific games impacted that; by some metrics Webb was better 20 vs 12 TDs and same INTs).  (No, I don't follow college football but I was interested in Davis Webb so I looked that up a while back.  Webb got outplayed in college... by Mayfield AND Mahomes).  If interested, here's an interview with Mayfield at the time - he makes it pretty clear it wasn't the scholarship that was the whole issue.

It clearly didn't "affect" Mayfield in the sense of dampening his confidence in himself or his ultimate career trajectory, but it seems he was highly "affected" in the sense of being alienated and pissed off after not getting what he perceived as his due (not just the scholarship, but the unquestioned starting role).  He didn't stay and fight for that role, he "took his ball and went home".  Ultimately, of course, it worked out for him.

So talking to Watson might be motivational for Mayfield, but it very well might motivate him to say "get me TF out of here if I'm not your guy".  He's already done that once.

Your point is the important one moving forward after this season.  If the Watson deal doesn’t come through (likely) and Mayfield plays well enough to warrant an extension (possible), then the road ahead could be very rocky.  

On 3/14/2022 at 4:14 PM, SoTier said:

My point is simply that there haven't been any QBs who improved significantly because they were put in a better scheme -- or even on a better team.  QBs show what they can do early on, and where they are 3 or 4 years into their starting careers is about where their ceiling is.   The best ones may get better because they get smarter with experience, but I don't buy the idea that 5 or 6 years into a career some QB who's been only decent is suddenly going to emerge as an elite talent as a signal caller.  

Mayfield hasn't shown a lot of growth as a quarterback or as a leader in his four seasons in Cleveland, especially compared to how much Allen and Jackson have improved since they were all drafted in 2018.

I understand and don't disagree with you on that point I should have made that clear.  I was commenting on the description of Stafford's performance in Detroit as great.   Players are too often described as "great" in sports discussions and I would describe Stafford's improvement from middling to good which supports your point that he didn't become a superstar.  I don't know if the book has been written on Mayfield yet; he played better earlier in his career and the last two years have gone in the other direction but I don't think he's likely going to become a top 5 QB but its not impossible to think he could still be a top 10 guy.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Browns gone Browns

I'd be stunned if Watson chooses to play in Cleveland over a dome in New Orleans or close to home in Carolina where the weapons are better then the Browns.  

Either way good luck to the team getting this scumbag. 

I still think he ends up in Miami. 

10 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Skip Bayless just lost all credibility with me. Said he’d take Deshaun Watson over Josh Allen!!

Skip Bayless still thinks Mayfield is better than Josh .. that is the really crazy position. Watson at least is an excellent quarterback. Yet the Texans ( yes those Texans) wouldn’t even want him in the trade 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/15/report-browns-could-trade-baker-mayfield-even-if-they-dont-get-deshaun-watson/

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.