*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Different situations.  Darnold was considered a guy who the Jets were screwing up/not giving him enough weapons, plus they had a cheap year and a 5th year option that was relatively inexpensive (and is now a major mistake to have picked up).  The Panthers found out the hard way he just sucks.  OTOH the Browns have been surrounding Baker with talent and he'll be looking for $40M/year.

I think ultimately if the do resign him giving him the "Kirk Cousins Treatment" may be their best option. Lower salary and years, however a higher % of guaranteed money. 

Gives both sides some security and protection and gives Baker another chance to score a huge payday down the road if he proves better.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think ultimately if the do resign him giving him the "Kirk Cousins Treatment" may be their best option. Lower salary and years, however a higher % of guaranteed money. 

Gives both sides some security and protection and gives Baker another chance to score a huge payday down the road if he proves better.

I mean "less salary" 3yr 84M in 2018, and 2yr 66M for 21-22 - all guaranteed.  So i would assume that starts negotiations at 30M per year.  His cap hit for this year is 45M.  If you tried to trade him the team acquiring has to pay 35M in salary.  

Edited by dneveu

On 2/6/2022 at 11:17 PM, Chicken Boo said:

I don't think Cleveland is in a corner at all.  They can find a replacement for Baker.  Minshew, Jimmy G, or Winston can get you Baker level play or better.

I think you are underestimating Baker or overestimating those other guys. Baker isn’t great, but I’d still take him over Winston or Minshew. Jimmy G is good, but I think baker offers more 

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Different situations.  Darnold was considered a guy who the Jets were screwing up/not giving him enough weapons, plus they had a cheap year and a 5th year option that was relatively inexpensive (and is now a major mistake to have picked up).  The Panthers found out the hard way he just sucks.  OTOH the Browns have been surrounding Baker with talent and he'll be looking for $40M/year.

I get that. It only Takes one team to do it tho. With a weak draft class, someone might think they can get the most out of Baker as opposed to taking a chance on Kenny Pickett

I look at it this way:

EVEN IF Baker plays really well, he is the 3rd best QB in that division behind both Burrow and Jackson. If the Steelers bring in a veteran QB he will be trying not to be the 4th best. 

Baker can be fine, but he's nothing spectacular. That team bases its offense around the running game, which you don't normally do if you have a top QB. Ravens are an exception, because the QB has a unique skillset.

• Agree 5

On 1/6/2022 at 8:44 AM, FilthyBeast said:

Sorry been tied up with some things so I could respond sooner.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and again I'm not disputing Allen being in the upper 3rd of NFL QB's from a statistical standpoint.  He is and only a fool would tell you otherwise.

The crux of my argument is that you have to look at the accolades that matter (at least in terms of the 'experts') and prior to 2021 Allen had one good season on film which many felt (and still feel) was fluky because of the covid year circumstances. So if we are debating the fact that his extension was given on potential that's another thing, but in terms of being a proven commodity Allen really isn't yet unless he can elevate this team to another level in the playoffs and at minimum make another AFCCG appearance.

But going back to my personal feelings, I'm still taking the guys I mentioned over Allen today because I'm not a biased fan and have seen more pure raw talent to believe they are going to be all time great HOF types that win multiple championships and/or elevate their teams. Allen could be too but still think the odds are against that if anything because of how inconsistent he still is 4 years into his career.

I could see a desperate pats fan trying desperately to believe some shnyde like this. You have been remarkable in your consistency, so high marks for that, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

To extent that Deshaun Watson becomes viable in the NFL I have thought for a long time that Baker plus many draft picks for Watson could elevate both teams meaningful.  mayfield is not a high end QB but he is credible and might be a popular player in Texas.  

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I look at it this way:

EVEN IF Baker plays really well, he is the 3rd best QB in that division behind both Burrow and Jackson. If the Steelers bring in a veteran QB he will be trying not to be the 4th best. 

Baker can be fine, but he's nothing spectacular. That team bases its offense around the running game, which you don't normally do if you have a top QB. Ravens are an exception, because the QB has a unique skillset.

If Mayfield plays well I'd take him ahead of Jackson without even have to take time to decide.

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think you are underestimating Baker or overestimating those other guys. Baker isn’t great, but I’d still take him over Winston or Minshew. Jimmy G is good, but I think baker offers more 

I'm not big on Baker at all.  He had the best line and rushing attack in football that helped mask his shortcomings.

All things equal, there's quite a few QBs I'd rather have.  I certainly wouldn't pay him $30 mill per season.

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I am a little surprised the Ravens haven't signed Jackson. I don't think he would get what Allen got but I thought he has done enough to prove he is their future.

I'm not so sure I agree with that part.

I think we can all agree that what goes on in an NFL Locker Room (not to mention Coaches/GM meetings) are not always what the public is made aware of.

The Ravens have publicly said the want to get a deal done but IMO, their actions say something else. If a team really truly believes that they have "their guy" at QB they lock him down. It's priority 1, 2 and 3. If they still have internal questions (be it skill, health, off field issues) they tend to string it along. 

Reports using the wording "Being patient" "Comfortable having him play on 5th year option" and "They may even use the tag if they need to" say to me at least that there are some internal questions and Lamar needs to be healthy and make resigning him a no brainer.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-cardinals-trade-kyler-murray-after-social-media-statement-pickett-vaults-into-top-10/

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/02/11/cleveland-browns-kyler-murray/

Trade Baker and a 1st rounder to the Cards for Murray?

It's going to be a very interesting off season.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to *[EDIT]* Mock draft has Baker and 1st to the Cards for Murray pg. 28 --- Ravens and Browns now in a QB contract pickle
3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Tis the season to say crazy *****.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There is no way Mayfield,  Jackson or Murray are worth a penny over 35/ yr. Anyone dumb enough to pay these guys over this will be in cap hell for a long time. 

There is a case where Jackson is worth the $40M to the Ravens in a shorter term deal or one that gives them and inexpensive "out" after a couple seasons. 

I wouldn't, myself. I'd take advantage of some desperate GM. If Watson could grab 3 1sts, someone will start the bidding there for a young former MVP.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, Greg S said:

I am a little surprised the Ravens haven't signed Jackson. I don't think he would get what Allen got but I thought he has done enough to prove he is their future.

If you realize that by future you mean what the are currently, it would take a special set of circumstances for Baltimore to be better than they were in the last two seasons, and that amounts to being “regular season “ maybe division winners, but true post season success would be unlikely, jmo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.