Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)

GunnerBill

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Belichick

Reid

Payton

Harbaugh 

(Personally think that top 4 in some order is pretty non-contentious) 

Then he had Tomlin, Arians, LaFleur. Then his 8, 9 and 10 was McDermott, McVay and Vrabel. 

Personally I think Tomlin by virtue if his Superbowl win (and having got to another) and his ability to somehow keep this team in playoff contention every year with Rudolph, Duck Hodges and the corpse of Big Ben's career is deserving of being ahead. I can see the arguments for Arians (has a ring) and LaFleur (a .796 win %) but I think I'd have McDermott ahead of both. 

I agree with you. Arians has a superbowl ring because of Brady and the talent that flocked to the team because of Brady. No other reason.

It will be interesting how LaFleur does if Rodgers leaves.

McDermott is easily a top 10 head coach in this league. I'd put him at 7, probably.

And without looking I'd say Beane is a top GM. Easily top 10 for him too. Maybe top 5.

Arians is a good coach (not great IMO) and 100% not a HOFer in my book. 

How great does it feel to not be part of this mix and instead feel set for the foreseeable future? 

We got a GM, HC, and QB, all of whom are pretty young for their positions. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Where do you rate McDermott as far as X's and O's?  I think he's an excellent leader, organized, detailed and meticulous....that's what makes him a top 10 coach IMO.

I think he is one of the best defensive minds in the game. Up there with Fangio in the "best defensive minds not name Bill Belichick" category.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree with you. Arians has a superbowl ring because of Brady and the talent that flocked to the team because of Brady. No other reason.

It will be interesting how LaFleur does if Rodgers leaves.

McDermott is easily a top 10 head coach in this league. I'd put him at 7, probably.

And without looking I'd say Beane is a top GM. Easily top 10 for him too. Maybe top 5.

I have Beane sort of somewhere between 6 and 12. I still want one of his picks other than Allen to become a star. Ed Oliver is close. Beane is a very good GM and he rarely whiffs. I want 1 more knock it out the park draft pick before I put him top 5.

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Belichick

Reid

Payton

Harbaugh 

(Personally think that top 4 in some order is pretty non-contentious) 

Then he had Tomlin, Arians, LaFleur. Then his 8, 9 and 10 was McDermott, McVay and Vrabel. 

Personally I think Tomlin by virtue if his Superbowl win (and having got to another) and his ability to somehow keep this team in playoff contention every year with Rudolph, Duck Hodges and the corpse of Big Ben's career is deserving of being ahead. I can see the arguments for Arians (has a ring) and LaFleur (a .796 win %) but I think I'd have McDermott ahead of both. 

That looks about right to me. You can’t really argue the top 4 IMO. Personally I would put Tomlin in that group and say you can’t really argue the top 5. 

McDermott slots in comfortably anywhere in the 6-8 range. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is one of the best defensive minds in the game. Up there with Fangio in the "best defensive minds not name Bill Belichick" category.

I have Beane sort of somewhere between 6 and 12. I still want one of his picks other than Allen to become a star. Ed Oliver is close. Beane is a very good GM and he rarely whiffs. I want 1 more knock it out the park draft pick before I put him top 5.

Where do you rate Taron Johnson as far as slot corners?  I think he's probably top 5?

I have Dawson Knox as a top 10 tight end.

Tyler Bass as the best kicker in football.

Can't forget about Wyatt Teller lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Where McDermott really shines IMO, is his ability to communicate with players and the mutual respect that seems to go on.  I know its aggravating for us average joe's to hear, but the more NFL players are made to feel like Livestock, the less they are going to lay on the line.  McDermott motivates these guys to put in the work, yet doesn't treat this like his personal prison camp.

Somehow he runs a really tight ship, but also allows the players to be individuals.  McCoy's battle against Trump, McDermott and even Pegula backed McCoy and they allowed the players to steer the ship.  Even Beasley with his Vax thing.  They really urged and tried to educate players... but ultimately, they wouldnt put an embargo on Beasley for having an opinion and never forced him to get the vaccine.  I don't think they will ever stand in the way of a player trying to maximize his earnings/opportunity (and even go as far as to assist the players in career growth), whether here or elsewhere, and that also goes for the coaching staff.  That respect given to players goes a really long way.  It will get tested at some point, but for the first 4 seasons it has been executed marvelously.

Wow. Culley got screwed.

I was very skeptical about that hire at the time it was made but Culley did better than I thought he would. It was a pretty obvious tank year for the Texans but Culley still had them competitive in a lot of games. I think they overachieved for the talent level of the roster.

I guess his firing makes some sense if they hire Flores, especially if it helps the Texans keep Watson. But Culley still got shafted.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I thought one of Watson's "demands," was no HC from the Belichick tree.

I think his demand was to have a say in who was hired…  I mean he did say he was willing to go to Miami in a trade and well Flores was there.. like I said Flores is the best coaching option out there.. if Watson doesn’t like it trade him for a ton of picks and do the same to anyone else worth anything and start the rebuild.. (seems they liked Mills near the end too)

11 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Where McDermott really shines IMO, is his ability to communicate with players and the mutual respect that seems to go on.  I know its aggravating for us average joe's to hear, but the more NFL players are made to feel like Livestock, the less they are going to lay on the line.  McDermott motivates these guys to put in the work, yet doesn't treat this like his personal prison camp.

Somehow he runs a really tight ship, but also allows the players to be individuals.  McCoy's battle against Trump, McDermott and even Pegula backed McCoy and they allowed the players to steer the ship.  Even Beasley with his Vax thing.  They really urged and tried to educate players... but ultimately, they wouldnt put an embargo on Beasley for having an opinion and never forced him to get the vaccine.  I don't think they will ever stand in the way of a player trying to maximize his earnings/opportunity (and even go as far as to assist the players in career growth), whether here or elsewhere, and that also goes for the coaching staff.  That respect given to players goes a really long way.  It will get tested at some point, but for the first 4 seasons it has been executed marvelously.

The NFL is a profession.  People are paid money to do their thing.  You have to treat it as a professional environment. It should be no different than your job or mine.  We are held accountable for our ownership and its deliverable.  NFL players should be treated the same professional way as we would like ourselves to be treated by our company and boss.

Right there are eight openings.... let's play a bit of pin the tail (coach) on the donkey (franchise)....

Texans

Known interviews: Brian Flores (former Dolphins HC); Joe Lombardi (Chargers OC); Hines Ward (Assistant at Florida Atlantic)

Predicted Hire: Brian Flores - It was interesting to me that the Texans waited to see which other dominoes fell before they moved on Culley. Flores is from that same New England tree as Houston GM Nick Caserio. There is also the remote possibility of some sort of reconciliation between Deshaun Watson and Houston if his legal situation clears given that allegedly there was a mutual respect and interest in working with each other when Flores was in Miami. 

Jaguars

Known interviews: Darrell Bevell (interim HC); Todd Bowles (Buccaneers DC); Jim Caldwell (former Colts and Lions HC); Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC); Byron Leftwich (Buccaneers OC); Kellen Moore (Cowboys OC); Bill O'Brien (former Texans HC); Doug Pederson (former Eagles HC); Matt Eberflus (Colts DC); Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC).

Predicted Hire: Jim Caldwell - My understanding of the Jags search is that the key criteria is the development of Trevor Lawrence. Jim Caldwell would not only be a total antidote to the constant drama of Urban Meyer but he does have a reputation for working well with Quarterbacks and would appear on first glance a decent personality fit for the laid back personality of Lawrence. 

Vikings

Known interviews: Todd Bowles (Buccaneers DC); Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC); Kellen Moore (Cowboys OC); Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC); Jonathan Gannon (Eagles DC); Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC); DeMeco Ryans (49ers DC).

Predicted Hire: DeMeco Ryans - Bit of a stab in the dark here because they are looking for a GM as well as a coach. I just get the sense that the Vikings might well go for a young energetic guy as part of a real reboot of the franchise. I could see them really being keen on Kellen Moore but something tells me Jerry is going to pay him enough to stay one more year in Dallas as the Head Coach in waiting and if not Moore then DeMeco Ryans could be this year's Joe Staley and earn a promotion after only one year as a DC. 

Giants

Known interviews: None. So far the Giants position has been that they will hire a GM first and then being interviewing HC candidates. 

Predicted Hire: Brian Daboll - I have heard the two leaders in the clubhouse for the Giants GM job are Joe Horitz, the Director of Player Personnel in Baltimore, and Joe Schoen, the assistant GM in Buffalo. I am going to say the Giants hire Schoen and turn the Head Coach search over to him. That would give Leslie Frazier and Brian Daboll a better than average chance of being candidates and their offense desperately needs something. So maybe they think Daboll is the guy as the Giants try to build "the Buffalo of New Jersey". 

Bears 

Known interviews: Brian Flores (former Dolphins HC); Todd Bowles (Buccaneers DC); Jim Caldwell (former Colts and Lions HC); Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC); Byron Leftwich (Buccaneers OC); Doug Pederson (former Eagles HC); Matt Eberflus (Colts DC); Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC); Brian Daboll (Bills OC); Leslie Frazier (Bills DC). 

Predicted Hire: Doug Pederson - I don't think the Chicago Bears have any idea what they are doing. Ownership is stuck in a time warp and they are seeking a GM as well as a coach. Interestingly there are two Colts execs on their GM interview list including the highly rated assistant GM Ed Dodds. I wonder whether through Frank Reich there is that link to Pederson and trying to sell a disgruntled fanbase on a former SB winning HC might be easier than some of the alternatives. 

Dolphins 

Known interviews: Kellen Moore (Cowboys OC); Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC); Brian Daboll (Bills OC); Leslie Frazier (Bills DC); Mike McDaniel (49ers OC); Vance Joseph (Cardinals DC); Thomas Brown (Rams Assistant HC).

Predicted Hire: Vance Joseph - It looks very much to me as though Brian Flores lost a power struggle to Chris Grier, the General Manager. If that is true then Grier may well be pushing for his guy and he was allegedly heavily involved in the decision to hire Joseph as Adam Gase's defensive coordinator back in 2016 - the Dolphins' las playoff season. It would be a bad hire to prop up a bad GM. But the Dolphins are a bad franchise and Grier seems to have too much power.

Raiders

Known interviews: Rich Bisaccia (interim HC)

Predicted Hire: Rich Bisaccia - This is another predicted GM protectionist move. It is in Mike Mayock's interests to have a coach over whom he can exert some influence given the Gruden debacle. Bisaccia did a good job holding the team together through all the trials and tribulations of the last year and with Derek Carr having one year left on his contract too there is some sense in a "steady as she goes" hire now rather than making any long term franchise defining decisions. 

Broncos 

Known interviews: Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC); Brian Callahan (Bengals OC); Jonathan Gannon (Eagles DC); Kellen Moore (Cowboys OC); Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC); Aaron Glenn (Lions DC); Jerod Mayo (Patriots Linebackers Coach); Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC); Luke Getsy (Packers QB Coach); Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC).

Predicted Hire: Nathaniel Hackett - There is a reason the Broncos are interviewing Aaron Rodgers offensive coordinator and his Quarterbacks coach. They are hoping that either this offseason or at worst next offseason Aaron Rodgers becomes available to them as a 3 or 4 year, Peyton Manning esque, sticking plaster solution under center. They have also gone defense twice since Gary Kubiak walked away so I suspect they go offense this time and Hackett might be their guy - though watch out for Brian Callahan. Sneaky good candidate. 

Okay my record at this in previous years is not great so I'll check back in once things are concluded and see how I did. That would be of eight hires: 4 offensive guys, 3 defensive guys and a special teams guy. It would also be four minority candidates, including 3 minority coaches on a second (or third) shot which rarely happens. 

And I'll repeat what I said at the start of this thread.... I am glad the Bills are not fishing in this pool. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.