Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Lv-Bills said:

Flores should and will be a better Head Coaching candidate than Brian Daboll.  If Flores would have to settle for a coordinator job under someone like Daboll, that would be a travesty.  He should be a Head Coach again........and soon.  As in a week or two.  How someone like Joe Judge could walk an NFL sideline as a Head Coach is ridiculous.  

I'm not a Daboll hater or lover, but firing Flores is mind boggling to me.

Seems odd, but it’d be a soft landing working with a coach you’ve worked with before.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

IMO if you have to make an announcement that you are not firing your Head Coach....you probably need to fire your Head Coach.

...and in fact may very well be planning to do so, despite the announcement to the contrary!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

LOL

That is fantastic! If you're a Giants fan that is totally depressing news. Basically they're saying "we'll fire him next year because we fired other bad coaches recently" 

They need to find a GM and decide, but not firing Judge is a mistake.

The Giants have multiple early picks and you need stability.  You have to make the change because if you draft two guys to fit what your are doing now and switch it up next year - you wasted resources badly.

Just Stupid.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

LOL

That is fantastic! If you're a Giants fan that is totally depressing news. Basically they're saying "we'll fire him next year because we fired other bad coaches recently" 

Same feeling I had when Ralph announced Kay would be returning in '85

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That is insanely foolish if they fired someone simply because of a comparison to one team. The comparison doesn't even make sense. The Pats in 2019 were 12-4 compared to the Fins who traded away a lot of players and were 5-11. The Pats led the league in Covid opt outs and took on a lot of dead cap due to Brady leaving in 2020 and still finished with 7 wins. The Pats then got back a lot of talent via Covid opt outs coming back and spent a lot of their cap space on fixing some of their issues. Even then they only finished one game ahead of the Fins. 

It has to be something else other than a direct comparison that is deeply flawed.

If the ask was “you better make the playoffs or you’ll be let go” then yes, it was a comparison to one team. There’s no way they would be held up to the Bills. NE, on the other hand, has a similarly talented defense, but is being lead by a rookie QB. A rookie QB making the playoffs in your own division, while your team does not is pretty bad. 

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

If the ask was “you better make the playoffs or you’ll be let go” then yes, it was a comparison to one team. There’s no way they would be held up to the Bills. NE, on the other hand, has a similarly talented defense, but is being lead by a rookie QB. A rookie QB making the playoffs in your own division, while your team does not is pretty bad. 

Comparing directly to one opposite team is not the best way to run an organization. 

11 hours ago, london_bills said:

I was surprised vikings fired the gm, seemed to draft quite well. 

He is a very good GM. I was surprised too, but he has been in the organisation 16 years. 9 or 10 as GM. They maybe just felt time for fresh voices. But Rick Spielman is one of the best evaluators and drafters in the NFL. If I were the Bears, or the Jags, or the Raiders I'd hire him in a short minute. 

16 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Rhule report came out before this weekend. 

Giants announced that decision with Judge today. 

The report I have read on Judge is that he is safe "for now" but that the Giants want to get a GM in the building and let him have a say. Still possible, as I understand it, that he could be fired later a la Pederson last year. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a very good GM. I was surprised too, but he has been in the organisation 16 years. 9 or 10 as GM. They maybe just felt time for fresh voices. But Rick Spielman is one of the best evaluators and drafters in the NFL. If I were the Bears, or the Jags, or the Raiders I'd hire him in a short minute. 

Heck - if I ran the Bills - I give him a call to see if he wants to come in - just in case/when we lose some front office talent this off season.

He may want a GM position, but maybe he wants a chance at a year or two collaborating in a FO that works as a team to bring some different ideas when he is re-hired - the Bills might be a stop I want to make.

12 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Heck - if I ran the Bills - I give him a call to see if he wants to come in - just in case/when we lose some front office talent this off season.

He may want a GM position, but maybe he wants a chance at a year or two collaborating in a FO that works as a team to bring some different ideas when he is re-hired - the Bills might be a stop I want to make.

Think most likely he does take that kind of paid adviser type role for 2022 - i.e. a part time role as a second pair of eyes check with a guy he knows - Paton in Denver springs to mind - then re-enters the pool to be a GM again next January. I am generally leery about second time GMs, I'm not sure how many succeed in this generation. I know Accorsi and Polian did back in the day but the NFL pool was a bit smaller then. I can't think of another fired GM in recent years I'd give another GM shot to.... but Spielman I definitely would. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The report I have read on Judge is that he is safe "for now" but that the Giants want to get a GM in the building and let him have a say. Still possible, as I understand it, that he could be fired later a la Pederson last year. 

Today's Daily News said the same thing. Mara/Tisch said that the new GM will have control over the football operations and that includes the HC. I guess they are in a wait and see mode with Judge.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Today's Daily News said the same thing. Mara/Tisch said that the new GM will have control over the football operations and that includes the HC. I guess they are in a wait and see mode with Judge.

That means there is a very good chance Judge is gone. Most likely a new GM is going to want to bring in his coach and "reset the clock" so to speak. As I have mentioned when you have the 5th and 7th picks in the draft you are in a pivotal point where you are going to be setting up the next 5-8 years of your franchise and that shouldn't be in the hands of a coach who might be fired one season from now. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That means there is a very good chance Judge is gone. Most likely a new GM is going to want to bring in his coach and "reset the clock" so to speak. As I have mentioned when you have the 5th and 7th picks in the draft you are in a pivotal point where you are going to be setting up the next 5-8 years of your franchise and that shouldn't be in the hands of a coach who might be fired one season from now. 

Maybe...but if the new GM lets Judge stay one more year to "see what he can do" and then fires him after next year, the clock doesn't start really ticking on him until that year when he brings in "his guy", and starts getting him players that fit his schemes.

Always want to buy yourself as much time as possible in those roles.

Edited by Big Turk

• GunnerBill changed the title to Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT))
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.