Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)

GunnerBill

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

For the first time in my life it seems like there are more competent QBs than head coaches in the NFL.

I had this conversation with a Browns fan the other day I said the Bills success is down to a top 5 Quarterback paired with a top 10 coach. His instant reaction was "ooo it is a bit early to be labelling McDermott a top 10 coach isn't it?" And so we went through the league. By the end of the conversation the Browns fan had McDermott at #8. 

With Zimmer gone this week I think Sean is now the 7th longest tenured in the NFL. I think it is likely all 6 of the guys above him will end up in Canton at some point - Belichick, Payton, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Carroll and Reid. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

• GunnerBill changed the title to Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)
On 1/11/2022 at 4:28 PM, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't put Carroll in the Hall. But I think he will get in

He might.  There's probably never been a coach who has had his level of success in both the NFL and college football.  I can't think of anyone who's come close. (I know his USC success is somewhat tainted now.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I bet the Texans do everything they can to Hire Flores.. then Flores will do everything he can make Watson happy.. or he will do the same thing he did in Miami except get more 1st round picks..

I think Deshaun has other reasons to get out of Houston....  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think this is true but I also think Houston is exactly the kind of trainwreck front office that would think that this would work.

The GM is a former Patriot from office guy, bringing in Flores is just smart. He is a good coach and gets the most out of the talent given to him. 

Looks like Texans fired Culley because they want to hire Flores...likely in a bid to get Watson to stay and want to play for him.

Risk/Reward was pretty in their favor on that one...Culley likely was never going to be a coach of the year candidate, but no guarantee Flores wants to go there to that mess. 

First they have to hire Flores, then have him convince Watson to stay. Then of course he has to be allowed to play by the NFL which at some point will likely suspend him. Unlikely they get both of those things right, let alone have the third work in their favor.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:13 PM, GunnerBill said:

I had this conversation with a Browns fan the other day I said the Bills success is down to a top 5 Quarterback paired with a top 10 coach. His instant reaction was "ooo it is a bit early to be labelling McDermott a top 10 coach isn't it?" And so we went through the league. By the end of the conversation the Browns fan had McDermott at #8. 

With Zimmer gone this week I think Sean is now the 7th longest tenured in the NFL. I think it is likely all 6 of the guys above him will end up in Canton at some point - Belichick, Payton, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Carroll and Reid. 

Who were the 7 he had above McDermott? 

10 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Who were the 7 he had above McDermott? 

Belichick

Reid

Payton

Harbaugh 

(Personally think that top 4 in some order is pretty non-contentious) 

Then he had Tomlin, Arians, LaFleur. Then his 8, 9 and 10 was McDermott, McVay and Vrabel. 

Personally I think Tomlin by virtue if his Superbowl win (and having got to another) and his ability to somehow keep this team in playoff contention every year with Rudolph, Duck Hodges and the corpse of Big Ben's career is deserving of being ahead. I can see the arguments for Arians (has a ring) and LaFleur (a .796 win %) but I think I'd have McDermott ahead of both. 

18 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The GM is a former Patriot from office guy, bringing in Flores is just smart. He is a good coach and gets the most out of the talent given to him. 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Looks like Texans fired Culley because they want to hire Flores...likely in a bid to get Watson to stay and want to play for him.

Risk/Reward was pretty in their favor on that one...Culley likely was never going to be a coach of the year candidate, but no guarantee Flores wants to go there to that mess. 

First they have to hire Flores, then have him convince Watson to stay. Then of course he has to be allowed to play by the NFL which at some point will likely suspend him. Unlikely they get both of those things right, let alone have the third work in their favor.

I thought one of Watson's "demands," was no HC from the Belichick tree.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Belichick

Reid

Payton

Harbaugh 

(Personally think that top 4 in some order is pretty non-contentious) 

Then he had Tomlin, Arians, LaFleur. Then his 8, 9 and 10 was McDermott, McVay and Vrabel. 

Personally I think Tomlin by virtue if his Superbowl win (and having got to another) and his ability to somehow keep this team in playoff contention every year with Rudolph, Duck Hodges and the corpse of Big Ben's career is deserving of being ahead. I can see the arguments for Arians (has a ring) and LaFleur (a .796 win %) but I think I'd have McDermott ahead of both. 

Where do you rate McDermott as far as X's and O's?  I think he's an excellent leader, organized, detailed and meticulous....that's what makes him a top 10 coach IMO.

Does every coach with a bunch of wins and a ring deserve to be in the HOF?

Reid and Belichick are locks. They could be #1 and #2 overall in HC wins all-time when they retire. 

Tomlin I could certainly see. 1 ring and another appearance. Never a losing season. By the time he calls it quits he'll be a HOFer I think.

But Payton and Carroll? Both great coaches but Payton has had a lot more sustained success. Carroll really had a great handful of years early with Seattle and has been mediocre to decent ever since. That's not HOF worthy, IMO. 

Sean Payton has a much better chance because he's still pretty young and will probably do a lot more winning. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.