Anyone live in Florida know any mildly affordable towns to move to?

JaCrispy

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I have never been, and an seriously looking to get out of NYS before sh!t hits the fan...any help would be appreciated...thanks! 👍

Real estate is exploding in Florida. Prices are insane.

Honestly depends on your definition of affordable. I would try to make a trip and get a feel for an area (or several) prior to deciding on one. Some folks love Jax Beach and others can't stand it.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Gulf coast side near fort Meyers, Clearwater.., incredible value and frankly cleaner less crowded beaches. Just not always as warm 

I agree. Stayed with a friend for the Bucs game a few weeks ago, I love Tampa/Clearwater.

It depends on so many things that it is hard to give you too many thoughts. Biggest ones is how much is "reasonable" to spend and what do you want? Beach vs Theme parks? Land vs amenities? City vs rural? Even weather is quite different from the Keys to north Florida. Also if you have kids school districts are by county but schools still are zoned so you need to watch that. If you want to look in central Florida I have lots of thoughts but give me more of what you want.

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Gulf coast side near fort Meyers, Clearwater.., incredible value and frankly cleaner less crowded beaches. Just not always as warm 

Florida real estate goes through boom and bust cycles on occasion.  My brother picked up a nice condo right across the street from the ocean in Pompano Beach after the housing crash circa 2008.  My parents used to have a place near Ft. Meyers that we used to vacation at on occasion.  I thought the Sarasota area was nice and its close enough to Tampa if you want something close to a big city experience.  But thank the lord for AC because for me its just too hot in the Summer.  But I also found that sitting outside on New Years Day in sunny high 70's is a great escape and amazing experience compared to shoveling snow and freezing your behind off up here in the North.

But before spending big money, you should be aware that the entire State of Florida is going to be under ocean water in 12 years if we don't stop all carbon emissions immediately.  It might make more sense to move to western Colorado and build a nice big boat just in case! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Florida real estate goes through boom and bust cycles on occasion.  My brother picked up a nice condo right across the street from the ocean in Pompano Beach after the housing crash circa 2008.  My parents used to have a place near Ft. Meyers that we used to vacation at on occasion.  I thought the Sarasota area was nice and its close enough to Tampa if you want something close to a big city experience.  But thank the lord for AC because for me its just too hot in the Summer.  But I also found that sitting outside on New Years Day in sunny high 70's is a great escape and amazing experience compared to shoveling snow and freezing your behind off up here in the North.

But before spending big money, you should be aware that the entire State of Florida is going to be under ocean water in 12 years if we don't stop all carbon emissions immediately.  It might make more sense to move to western Colorado and build a nice big boat just in case! 

As I read this I exhaled and farted…. Sorry Florida, game over 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Reagan called it "voting with your feet." Why don't more people do it?

Texas liberals are incensed by their abortion law. New York conservatives are incensed by their COVID restrictions.

Move!

I certainly agree with this, in 2001 I saw what NY was becoming and decided to get while the getting was good. Literally since I move to Orlando Orange County has GROWN by more people than are in Erie County.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Beach said:

didnt you recently visit Florida?

Hahahahaha what a knucklehead that guy is. Should we be “ teaching “ kids about gender identity in 2nd grade ? Leave that up to the parents and teach our young kids how to read , write etc. That’s hardly “ fascist” , and there’s nothing in that bill singling out any gender or “ identity”. Liberals want the state to take control of infecting children with liberal doctrine to offset what they may be learning at home. It’s not the domain of government to teach such things. 

I’m in Atlanta and Greenville (SC).  My office works with a ton of leasing agents and realtors… 9/10 referrals are people moving down from NY & NJ.  

Florida is great.   DeSantis can’t be Governor forever, but since his election, the states voting demographics have gone from a registered Dem advantage to a registered R advantage, with Indy’s leaning heavy to the right.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:17 PM, JaCrispy said:

I have never been, and an seriously looking to get out of NYS before sh!t hits the fan...any help would be appreciated...thanks! 👍

Ft. Myers is a decent town i lived there for 20+ yrs & still have friends there if you go t a older part of town you can still find decent priced homes you may have to do some work to them but it can be worth it .

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, Tiberius said:

Way too hot down there, yes, this time of year in WNY kind of stinks, but the rest of the year is great. 

I am sitting in shorts on my back porch slightly chilly right now, start of a nice day. It has not been too hot since about September, which for that part of the year we have pools. In Florida we have a temp range of 30-95 in NY you have a temp range of -20-85. I prefer a 65 range vs a 100 range. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am sitting in shorts on my back porch slightly chilly right now, start of a nice day. It has not been too hot since about September, which for that part of the year we have pools. In Florida we have a temp range of 30-95 in NY you have a temp range of -20-85. I prefer a 65 range vs a 100 range. 

I enjoy our weather here. These three months of late winter early spring are not the best, but I do not personally like the high heat. I get why it took the invention of the air conditioner to get people to want to live down there in large numbers. To each his own, though. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

I enjoy our weather here. These three months of late winter early spring are not the best, but I do not personally like the high heat. I get why it took the invention of the air conditioner to get people to want to live down there in large numbers. To each his own, though. 

75 and sunny…again in SoCal today. 😎

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

We have a snow storm coming 😕

80 today and 90 next week.  I can see snow from my pool.  Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I'm busy organizing an anti-fur rally for the front of his house. Meat is Murder!!! 

But it’s a good kind of murder. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep! If we aren’t supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat? 

I made beef tacos yesterday but added some beans and broccoli in to up the fiber and nutrition content. I used spinach as a topping also. Yum 

15 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Yes. No lie, I own a beef farm. Own it! Not for long, but I do own land where cattle are fattened up for the slaughter house. 

The things you find out on a message board.  Why are you selling, and have you been personally involved in any of the activities represented in the scene below? 

21 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Surfs up!

You can’t surf in a pool.  Even I know this! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The things you find out on a message board.  Why are you selling, and have you been personally involved in any of the activities represented in the scene below? 

You can’t surf in a pool.  Even I know this! 

Lol, nope, nothing to do at all with the cattle. I just own the land now. I don’t want it, just want to sell. It’s in the rural south, not my kind of place. Was fun to visit, but don’t want to live there 

• Like (+1) 1