If anyone wants to say the NFL isn't rigged, please re-watch that game

UKBillFan

I think that thing that has us seething tonight is the lopsidedness.

I remember back last year when the Bills beat LA and got a new set of downs at the very end because of a ticky tak DPI call. And what I heard all week was the sports world talking about how the refs had robbed LA of a heroic comeback. I am curious to hear how many say that this time.

Look, I am a fan of defense. I want to let DBs play and make plays. I want refs to allow tight coverage. But it is particularly egredious to allow some severe contact by a DB on last years #1 receiver, tugging his jersey to a new size. Then, in overtime, an illegal contact call that is called 99 out of a 100 times vs the Bills is ignored only for pretty blatant OPI get called DPI. It's sickening. The amount of ballwashing that Brady gets is terrifying, and non-Bills fans have been noticing since last year

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm getting tired of the "you have to overcome bad calls" thing.

Call it consistently.  If Diggs wasn't interfered with - then Evans definitely wasn't.

I'm still not sure if I'm more pissed off about the Bills' loss... or Brady's umteen millionth league assisted win.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, 727Bills said:

The Bills team has been the model of inconsistency this year... And yet here we are complaining of the refs.

Soon as the Bills start being consistently good then I'll worry about the refs 

I'd bet the latter (refs) starts mattering less if the former (Bills overall play) improves. 

It stuns me that some Bills fans have such a poor understanding of the game. 

when there are two evenly matched teams, poor officiating can and will be the difference. 

Im not one of those people who think that the NFL is rigged, but an awful lot of poor calls and no calls went in Tampas favor today.  The announcers and former NFL head of officiating pointed several of thes out.

It was the difference in the game today. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

I’ll trust what my eyes see and what Mcaulie (a former official) says about the three calls/non calls. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t a possible penalty. I said that if Diggs remained focused on his job instead of barking at the defender, that’s probably six and at least three.

31 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

With all that Bills still had a chance in overtime. They went 3 and out. Then couldn’t get off the field on 3rd and 3. Fans wanna blame the refs..but we didn’t do what we needed to do to win. 

I used to believe this.  Not anymore.  

Those were two evenly matched teams and one of them got calls, the other didn’t. 

Bills should’ve had 1st and Goal with 22 seconds left to win.   Instead we went to OT.  Even in OT they got the benefit of a call that was flagged in one sided fashion all day.  

With all due respect, **** off with the “we shouldn’t have depended on the refs” talk after this game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

You can’t blame the refs, but what a way to get your season back on the right track. I was questioning the coaches, player's resolve and our viability as a SB contender. This team showed character and pride . Josh is as tough and determined as any QB in my NFL memory. His talent is so magical, the future is as bright for us as any franchise. Just surround him with a foundational O-line and a good back and watch him compete for championships every year. Our defense after a few adjustments and a tongue lashing, showed their mettle. All in all, this game is something we can benefit from in defeat.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

It stuns me that some Bills fans have such a poor understanding of the game. 

when there are two evenly matched teams, poor officiating can and will be the difference. 

Im not one of those people who think that the NFL is rigged, but an awful lot of poor calls and no calls went in Tampas favor today.  The announcers and former NFL head of officiating pointed several of thes out.

It was the difference in the game today. 

We needed 6" (that's what she said) at the goal line in the Tenn game and couldn't get it for the win....

Even if we got the call for PI at the goal line today I have zero faith we punch it in for a TD..... Know why? Cause we have been inconsistent all year and haven't shown we can make those plays when needed.  

If we had shown any ability leading up to this game to actually make certain plays in close games to seal a win then I would be on board with arguing the refs cost us.

You can preach all you want it's the refs fault but based on this year's O playcalling and execution, even if we had first and goal from the 1 I don't think we get it in. We have sucked in those situations all year long and now you actally think it's gonna change this game and we just all of a sudden figure out how to win close games, laughable at best

Edited by 727Bills

39 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

With all that Bills still had a chance in overtime. They went 3 and out. Then couldn’t get off the field on 3rd and 3. Fans wanna blame the refs..but we didn’t do what we needed to do to win. 

And that falls on COACHING.  Significant heat is deserved on the entire coaching staff and the front office (for their abysmal player evaluation and management on both lines) after this woefully disappointing season falling way below even the most modest expectations

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

First one: yes, should have been called. But if diggs doesn’t turn around to chastise the defender, he catches that and scores. 

Final one: that screen sheet literally shows nothing because it doesn’t show what diggs did at at the top of the route (play rough and commit borderline OPI). 

The one that’ll stick is the Evans/Wallace play. Just horrific officiating.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Maybe so but if the Bills had stopped Tampa on 3rd and 3 it would've been pass interference on Buffalo.  

Buffalo made mistakes that cost the game in overtime, but there needs to be accountability on the refs part.  What happened today gave the Bills more of an uphill battle than they should have had at the end of the game.     Look around and you will see plenty of non Bills fans complaining about the officiating in that game.

I feel like many of the memorable bad ref jobs happen to go against the Bills (Houston 2019, Homerun throwback, 1998 Just give it to them/hailmary pass interference).  At best there is an half hearted apology (Shouldn't have called it that way, oopsie daisy) with a promise to change, but no real improvement.     It is not just Bills games, refs have made many of the games that I see unwatchable.

The NFL needs to do a major overhaul on the officiating.   Make refs full time, fire most of the current ones and start over, create a consistent set of rules not prone to subjective interpretation, and have an independent accountability board.   It is time to do something because the game gets less credible every year.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

Spare me what the talking heads say, Im believing what Ive been seeing for decades.   They can continue to service Tommy with their talk between weeks.  From the Godwin push off in the opener to today.   These are the rules.   Tommy will get the crucial call/no call and your team won't.   You have to beat Brady and the refs.   Tommy must be on the good side of the close calls, if its close....sorry but it  must go Tommy's way.   Jeezus, when this guy is still doing this close to 50 in tackle NFL football,  maybe it will set in that this a beyond a joke.   

Edited by billsfan714

Just now, Doc Brown said:

The last game I can think of that the refs definitely cost us the game was '98 in Foxborough.  Am I missing one between now and then?

The playoff game two years ago, Cody Ford was called for a penalty at a key part of a drive that likely gets Buffalo in field goal range to win.   The refs admitted in the off-season that it was the wrong call.

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm getting tired of the "you have to overcome bad calls" thing.

Call it consistently.  If Diggs wasn't interfered with - then Evans definitely wasn't.

They were holding all game lol people are talking about it like it was one or two calls that could’ve gone either way…how do you overcome all of your receivers being held all game when your team isn’t allowed to hold their guys 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.