If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

At this point, he’s not getting a contract unless he wants to take a hometown discount which he won’t and shouldn’t do.  

Unless something drastic happens over the next 4 games, I am certain the Bills will treat Edmunds like Shaq Lawson.  Make him prove it on a 5th year deal.  

I think the bills shot themselves in the foot not drafting a LB this year. Not saying we needed to spend a 1 on a LB but now we are in a tough position. Klein has played well but he's not our future. No matter what edmunds will get a good contract, either from us or someone else. We don't have the cap to pay another good but not great player an oversized contract (look at what we paid klein alone). But what do we do now? Do you pay up with little cap we have for a quality FA, when we have huge needs else where? Do we let edmunds walk and put your faith in an unproven rookie? I have a feeling bills make a deal with edmunds.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

"Resigning" or "Re-signing?" 

There's a big difference there!

If we keep him into a new K, he'll cost a fortune, way more than he's worth IMO.

He may have worn out his welcome with our fan base. Probably best to get a fresh start elsewhere. Rest assured, he'll get a big contract offers from multiple teams.

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

His fifth year option for next year was picked up.  It is for $12.7M and is fully guaranteed.  It would be tough to trade him.  I think he will be here through next season. 

Doesn't mean we can’t trade him or get his replacement 

I think where we really screwed up as when we didn’t take that linebacker that Cleveland did in the second round that was under size and would’ve fit our big nickel roll to a T and is now making huge plays for Cleveland we could easily trade away Edmonds if we had that player now we need to go find somebody like him

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

There has to be a GM who is dumb enough to see his height, age, and “pro bowl” status and make an offer for him 

I have a feeling we keep him for that final year, but do not re-sign him beyond that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

There has to be a GM who is dumb enough to see his height, age, and “pro bowl” status and make an offer for him 

There will be and it's going to be up to Beane to find and pitch that GM. The problem is that ridiculous nearly 13M salary for his final year.  And hopefully that GM ignores the fact that the lame pro bowl year was as an alternative.  Wasn't Tyrod an alternative one year and he's on his 5th team. Beane will have his work cut out but it can be done.

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

Edmunds is playing the way Frazier wants him to play. Frazier has constructed the D to work as an 11 man unit.  Edmunds is not called on to make those impact plays.  He's there to eat up space on pass D, and to fill gaps on running plays.  Those gaps fills are a problem, I'll agree.  He's just not as bad a player as people here think he is.  

He may be playing within the confines of the defense.  

It would be nice for him to make tackles when called upon, especially when it can be for a loss.  Or learn how to pass cover, which he can’t.  It would be awesome if he wasn’t always the last man in on a tackle, and too timid to throw his body in the fray.

10 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Edmunds is a solid player. He’s just not a playmaker. 

we clearly need more money invested in our O line. I’d choose not to re-sign him unless it’s on the cheap (which he will not do)

They have the fourth most expensive OL in the league according to Spottrac. How about picking better players and getting some decent OL coaching?

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Got killed a month ago when I made the same assertions.  Constantly fooled by the play action.  Constantly out of place in his zone.  Cant get off blocks despite being a behemoth.   

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.  Not sure there is a more annoying player to watch on the Bills.   Also can we please put to rest this idea that the guy is good in coverage.  We play zone, and teams make their money in the middle of the field.  As such, he is not good im coverage.     Needed to be moved to OLB a long time ago.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Because he never has and never will. If I hear one more time how athletic he is I'll puke.

Tremaine is an athlete that isn't a good linebacker.

Maybe he would perform better in a different defense. Square peg/round hole?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not reading the entire thread so I apologize if this has been said.  Edmunds sure as hell didn't take away any routes over the middle.  All it takes is the QB to glance one direction and Edmunds is running that way.  Happened all game and happens every week.  The running play in the first quarter where he practically ran past the runner to engage the blocker should have gotten him benched. Any linebacker on the team is better than that (except him, of course).  It's a shame because he'll probably end up being a decent outside linebacker for his next team but our staff insists on putting the square peg in the round hole.  

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Tremaine is an athlete that isn't a good linebacker.

Maybe he would perform better in a different defense. Square peg/round hole?

that was weird....both went with the square peg thing at the same time

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Governor said:

I think we need to move on from Edmunds and Milano.

This is unpopular but I also think Tre is a bit overrated on this D. He’s a good player but not a great player. 

Thats who we should be using as trade bait. I would sell high with Tre.

What?

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, damj said:

Once again... Edmunds is close, but fails. 

I'm not talking about the touchdown... I'm talking 3rd and 3, he penetrates and fails to make the tackle. 

He is good. But he is not an impact LB. 

You ought to find a team that agrees with your opinions. You're likely to be able to continue your bellyaching for years and years.

After you find a team that agrees to follow, you might want to try to find Pro Bowl voters who agree with you. And pundits. Anyone, really.

That's not to say he didn't have a few bad plays tonight, dammit. But the whole defense had a bunch of bad plays, and it's as much that they were up against an extremely good offense as it is that they played badly sometimes. Which they did.

He absolutely is an impact LB. Just not the kind you like. Certainly not perfect. Certainly needs work. But nobody's perfect and everybody needs work.

8 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

He may have worn out his welcome with our fan base. Probably best to get a fresh start elsewhere. Rest assured, he'll get a big contract offers from multiple teams.

Yup, big contract offers, very likely including the Bills.

And any GM that makes decisions based on whether some bizarre elements of their fan base are displaying weird opinions should be and likely will be sitting with those fans before long, to paraphrase Marv.

I’ve been pretty patient with Tremaine the last few years for the most part, but that long Fournette TD run where he passed up just making the tackle to engage the blocker was the last straw for me. He had to go past Fournette to engage the blocker. Just make the tackle! Always thought he’d make a better OLB, but they never seemed willing to try that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.