That was not a Football Game Last Night - Weather ruined it

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Ross Murdock said:

Were just going to agree on this. That's fine. My biggest concern is that for the Bills to remain in Buffalo, an outdoor stadium is the only way the team stays. The most unique thing about the Bills isn't the weather. It's the size of the city region they play in. Buffalo would never get a franchise awarded today. Green Bay is a unique historical franchise, and most fans come up from Milwaukee anyway which has MLB and NBA already. And the team is owned by the City. The commoner has stated numerous times that "Buffalo needs a Buffalo type of stadium". which means a new but not extravagant stadium. Something just above $1B. Buffalo simply can't afford a Dome stadium and be a viable franchise. The Bills CAN'T sell a significant amount of Corporate luxury seats which is the lifeblood of the cost for an expensive stadium. That market just does not exist in this market. The math doesn't work in Buffalo. Therefore a much more expensive Dome stadium simply would not allow the Pegula's to leverage the extra costs by standard seating alone.  they would be in a distinct disadvantage Vs. EVERY other owner. Even Jerry Jones has stated - "He'd like to see the Bills stay, but they need a cost effective stadium". A Dome just won't work. If the Pegula's believe that the team needs a Dome, trust me, he would pack up and go to ANY number of city's that would build a stadium, that will easily sell and likely guarantee all of their corporate luxury seats would be sold. Pushing for a Dome stadium, in the Buffalo market will NEVER make economic sense. And if that is the decision, the team WILL move. I'd rather buy a coat, and continue to watch my beloved Bills outside. It's the ONLY viable answer. This is a FACT!               

No, that is not a fact.  

If they can afford an open air stadium, they can afford a dome.  

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No, that is not a fact.  

The sad part is, even if they agree that a fixed roof stadium is the way to go, between the funding, stadium design, labor PLA’s, and construction delays, this won’t be ready until at least the 2026 season…maybe longer. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Lets just be a wild card team every until then lol.  

Didn't TB win the SB as a Wild Card??????

Also again prior to last year last home playoff game was 1996.  Does anyone really get excited about a home playoff game in January, without one eye on the weather and fingers crossed?????

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Also again prior to last year last home playoff game was 1996.  Does anyone really get excited about a home playoff game in January, without one eye on the weather and fingers crossed?????

You mean neutral site playoffs and Super Bowl, like the NBA bubble in Summer 2020?

When do Hawaii flights open up for booking? Or are we in the Cancun Division? Whichever way, it sounds absolutely horrid.

24 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I was referencing not playing home playoff games in January...it was a tongue and cheek.

The Bills have played games in these type of conditions for many years now and why is it an issue for them but not the opponents who win these games?

Colts are a dome team and came to Buffalo and dominated.

Pats are a similar northeast weather based team and have came to Buffalo and won in bad weather games for years.

The list could go on and on but I don't understand why people insist weather is and issue or reason for this teams failures when this is who the Buffalo Bills are and where they play their games.

• Like (+1) 1

The Eagles came here on a terrible weather day a couple years ago and Wentz had no issues and led them to an easy win.

Let's face it.  The poor weather games are bad for this version of the Bills, unless it's a cupcake team like Houston.  The bad weather in Orchard Park is ruining our season.

Yes, the wind greatly affected the game. But we lost because of failures in coaching and execution. The wind is just an excuse. There was no wind against the Steelers or Jags or Colts and we lost because of the same reasons we lost this one. 

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

The Bills have played games in these type of conditions for many years now and why is it an issue for them but not the opponents who win these games?

Colts are a dome team and came to Buffalo and dominated.

Pats are a similar northeast weather based team and have came to Buffalo and won in bad weather games for years.

The list could go on and on but I don't understand why people insist weather is and issue or reason for this teams failures when this is who the Buffalo Bills are and where they play their games.

Because some fans want the outcome of the game to be decided by the two teams on the field.  Not the two teams on the field + Mother Nature (+refs while we’re at it).  We just want to watch two teams play to the best of their abilities with zero outside influence.  

some people don’t care about that…and I get it. Count me as one that wants to watch the best football possible.  3 passes to 46 rushes isn’t that.  They don’t even do that in pop Warner

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I had a thread locked saying how depressed the weather forecast had me when I saw it last week and lo & behold it ruined the game yesterday.

It was not fun to watch (win or lose) and please no platitudes to BB, it was a lousy game.  

Cold weather, while unpleasant can still be handled.  Some rain too you can work around.  A snow game when your team is playing for little can be fun to watch.

But a crucial Monday night game where the wind is howling just sucked the life out of last night.

Oh and Daboll's play calling and red zone offense has been terrible all year.  How about one play that you've been working on all year when you need it?  

I absolutely agree. The wind took whatever skill advantage we had at any position and neutralized it. It was a brutal game to watch and the poor decision making by Daboll and McD was the cherry on top of the Sht sundae.

I mean, it's probably been said a few times - but weather can't ruin football games.

Weather can ruin a wedding, or a pool party.  Football games are often about weather.

And for the "dome" crowd - I'm not opposed to it. But even if they build one, we still have to play in NE, NY & a bunch of other "bad weather" places that don't have domes.

9 hours ago, Process said:

It sucked to watch. But it basically forced the Patriots to concede the game. Doing what they did last night is not a winning strategy in any conditions.

It ended up being a huge advantage for the Bills. They tried giving us the game and we said no thank you, and gave it right back. 

They basically did what the Titans did to them the week before minus the minimal passing by Tennessee 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Because some fans want the outcome of the game to be decided by the two teams on the field.  Not the two teams on the field + Mother Nature (+refs while we’re at it).  We just want to watch two teams play to the best of their abilities with zero outside influence.  

some people don’t care about that…and I get it. Count me as one that wants to watch the best football possible.  3 passes to 46 rushes isn’t that.  They don’t even do that in pop Warner

Refs didn't dictate the outcome of this game

25 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I absolutely agree. The wind took whatever skill advantage we had at any position and neutralized it. It was a brutal game to watch and the poor decision making by Daboll and McD was the cherry on top of the Sht sundae.

Some of us were talking/warning of this all week long! 

Others were talking as though the crap weather would somehow benefit the Bills b/c we "live in it" or some such.

Passing wins in football now.  The weather made it hard to pass, so much so that one team didn't even try! 

That's not much of a football game; it was like a weird experiment.

The good news is the Bills can easily beat the Patriots in the rematch, given normal cold weather.

48 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

They basically did what the Titans did to them the week before minus the minimal passing by Tennessee 

Refs didn't dictate the outcome of this game

No…they didn’t.  But they do sometimes.  That’s why I put it In parenthesis 

The weather didn't ruin the game for me at all, the outcome did. I thought the game was compelling from beginning to end. Definitely had a high school feel where kicks and punts are an adventure. 

Put me in the camp that thinks that the elements are part of the game - and some teams adapt or are built better than others under different conditions. Bills game plan was too conservative IMO - they should have let Josh throw more in the first half - his arm should've been an bigger advantage than it was. 

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

It did ruin it. We're going to smack them around in 2 weeks.  The weather gave them a massive advantage and played into our weakness and their strengths.  

Hang in there Mafia. The 21 Bills are going to be just fine 

Please stop trying to ruin our foul mood with hope and optimism.   What’s next gifs of puppies and motivational posts?  ( of course puppies would be nice) 

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No, that is not a fact.  

And I strongly doubt Goodell or the other owners would ever discourage the Bills building a dome or retractable roof. The Allegiant is a pretty beautiful dome for 2B. Can't they develop plans for a slightly less costly version of that?

8 hours ago, cd1 said:

I wonder how much "heavy snow" Josh Allen played in before he became a Bill? I wonder how many Buffalo Bills players or coaches, for that matter come from warm weather states?  It is total BS to think that a kid from Firebaugh, California has some sort of magical advantage playing " in the mud, rain, heavy snow...everything expect(?) a thunderstorm".  You forgot to mention the WIND; the very element we could not overcome last night.

Another thing, teams that come to play in the wacky western NY weather have ONE game possibly effected by the elements. The Buffalo Bills have HALF of their entire season possibly influenced by the elements. It makes it much more difficult to remain competitive.

IMHO...

The Bills been around for 50 years..are u trying to say you lost more games because of the weather and not cause the other team better prepared?

Cause NE weather could be hell and I remember a certain California kid playing great in the snow..

And I don't know..I would say, the coaching stuff should understand about the weather and coach that way..

The GM should understand its Buffalo n not California and draft players that can handle it...

And nobody plays in a thunderstorm.

13 hours ago, BTB said:

You can bet your life savings that if it is an open air stadium, the answer will be “we surveyed our fans and this is what they preferred”. 

and the truth will be it cost less.  because even in the 90’s we did not have full stands in Dec and Jan non-playoff games. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

🙄 Just because your first love is a domed stadium does not mean it was not a football game.

Football started outside and lots of non-football things were added but playing outside is not one of them.

If that's what you want. I'm not going to be around the next 50 years so. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.