Ticket Holders — How to Dress For Cold Rain?

elijah

While I no longer live in WNY it’s hard for to believe me some of what I’m reading here. You’re not going to the moon! You’re going to a three hour football game. 😂 We used to just put a decent rain poncho over normal winter weather wear and we’d be fine. The biggest disappointment for me always was that the gloves tended to muffle the sound of 80,000 rabid Bills fans clapping, but we made up for it with a lot of feet stomping…which has the side benefit of keeping your feet warmer. I’m confident you’all will be fine. Have a great time at the game everyone! 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

While I no longer live in WNY it’s hard for to believe me some of what I’m reading here. You’re not going to the moon!

Going to the moon would require different clothing.  No garbage bag skirts or Frogg Toggs.  Might wear wool though.

As someone else said, the OP was just looking for advice and people who thought he shouldn't need it were being unnecessarily jerks, which is why he got a few very detailed responses.

You’re going to a three hour football game. 😂 We used to just put a decent rain poncho over normal winter weather wear and we’d be fine.

Some people don't know what "normal winter weather wear" is.  Either they live in a more temperate climate, or they just don't Do outdoors stuff in adverse weather.  Also some people are more cold-blooded than others.

The biggest disappointment for me always was that the gloves tended to muffle the sound of 80,000 rabid Bills fans clapping, but we made up for it with a lot of feet stomping…which has the side benefit of keeping your feet warmer. I’m confident you’all will be fine. Have a great time at the game everyone! 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Going to the moon would require different clothing.  No garbage bag skirts or Frogg Toggs.  Might wear wool though.

As someone else said, the OP was just looking for advice and people who thought he shouldn't need it were being unnecessarily jerks, which is why he got a few very detailed responses.

Some people don't know what "normal winter weather wear" is.  Either they live in a more temperate climate, or they just don't Do outdoors stuff in adverse weather.  Also some people are more cold-blooded than others.

Go Bills!

You'll be changing your tune when he next asks how to eat chicken wings or a slice of pizza!

16 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Invest in a quality rain coat and rain pants. REI, Cabelas, etc tend to have great options. Don’t be one of those fans with a flimsy poncho or garbage bag on. 

I never did this and should have.  I'd go look at them and realize that well-made, truly waterproof pants can cost over $100, and a good foul-weather coat is more.  It is an investment.  But once you do it, you always have it, and every few years you drag it out and it does the job. 

• Like (+1) 1

I use to wear a rain coat and overall combo the GF and I had matching sets.

I would have liked a Bills color like blue or red but I was stuck with yellow..

If I had it to do over again I would go to Camping World/Bass Pro and get insulated waterproof hunters camo coat ,overalls and boots

20 hours ago, Augie said:

I think he was asking what you do differently on days like that.   :)

If I’m a season ticket holder and risk facing this dilemma on a regular basis I’m investing in specialized rain gear/snowmobiling garb. Layers and staying dry are the key. I think @Shaw66 had some very good suggestions. I’ve got a news flash for you, as long as I’m comfortable I don’t give a hoot about how you think I look!

It’s funny, as a kid sometimes preparing to stay warm was almost as fun as the game. Apparently I’m not a kid any more! 

You know what that's something I don't think I've ever thought about one way or another but after I read this I have to agree with you 100%  I can remember going to the cold weather games as a kid and there was a sense of excitement getting prepared for the crazy conditions.  I miss that time when everything felt larger than life and exciting!  I'll try to keep this perspective as I get bundled up tomorrow night :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Under armour long sleeve and leggings as a base layer.  Have 2 sets, cool weather and cold weather.  Multiple layers of short/long sleeve.  Regular socks and thick thermal socks.  Winter boots with sub zero lining or regular waterproof (based on temp).   Jeans for cooler games, Carhart insulated bib for cold.  Hoodie.  Regular jacket for cool games, super warm jacket for cold games.

Keep your butt dry - plastic bags, blankets, whatever it takes.  Keep your feet dry and warm.  Pay the extra bucks for quality boots, worth every penny..

Have a few Coleman rain suits, or basic throw away ponchos.  Depends on what the forecast is.

Monday?  Have no clue!  Gonna bring a bunch of stuff and see how it plays out.  Will re-dress in the lot if I have to.

Is this how to prepare for a Bills football game?

Or how to prepare for a Antarctic trek from George V Land to Dronning Maud Land???

Holy hell I forgot how bad the weather is up there!

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Is this how to prepare for a Bills football game?

Or how to prepare for a Antarctic trek from George V Land to Dronning Maud Land???

Holy hell I forgot how bad the weather is up there!

Hey!  Layers man, layers! 

Not bad usually.  Can pads or subtract in the lot, depending on weather.

Much rather live here in Buffalo than places that have flooding, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, wild fires and suppressive heat.

Go to Wal-Mart or target and get yourself a rain suit. You'll stay dry just layer underneath and you'll also stay warm 

Want to add when it comes to bad weather games never be afraid to look like a fool in order to make sure you are comfortable throughout the game

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad
  • Agree 1

On 12/4/2021 at 8:13 AM, elijah said:

In advance, I’m sorry for starting another weather thread. I truly am. 

But for longtime season ticket holders or game goers, what have you guys found best to dress in for cold rain? 

I’ve been going to 3 or 4 games a year consistently for maybe a decade now, but for the first time this year I have season tickets. Before I could just jump around and purchase games when I wanted and avoid the cold, rainy, windy days. Now, I’m going to every game and let me tell you the Colts game was BRUTAL. It was the first Bills game I ever left before the 4th quarter. 

Typically I would just layer up and get some hand warmers for the cold and call it a day and be content. But the rain and cold combined is a different animal, especially if you add wind. The layers get wet and you’re stuck in those same clothes and can never get warmer. 

Any suggestions? Habits that work well? 

Have a poncho or rain shell and stay dry at all costs.  Let the alcohol take care of the cold.  

31 minutes ago, Gisele said:

Get a rain suit made for wearing while riding a motorcycle.  Load up you pockets with handwarmers and wear a couple of layers.  You won't even think about the weather.  

Not a bad idea to wear some Depends.  

Rain suit for sure.  Helps keep snow off also, and keeps your butt dry.  Will need to dress for all types of weather tonight. 

Wont be able to use pop-up tents most likely.  Winds are already picking up. Even with weights tents won’t have a chance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.