Lincoln Riley to USC

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Is USC a better job than Oklahoma at this point? This is one area of college football coach moves I don’t always understand. 

No, but it could be with a couple recruiting classes. Weak conference. Oklahoma heading to the SEC was going to mean more losses for Riley. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Is USC a better job than Oklahoma at this point? This is one area of college football coach moves I don’t always understand. 

There is a lot of uncertainty and little on-field upside for Oklahoma moving into the SEC.   No more cake-walks into playoff contention.  

Riley has a chance to go to USC and dominate recruiting in the west and basically turn them into another version of what Oklahoma has been.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, but it could be with a couple recruiting classes. Weak conference. Oklahoma heading to the SEC was going to mean more losses for Riley. 

That’s true, Riley was basically afraid of the SEC, but I think Oklahoma has all the tools to succeed in that conference. The PAC 12 is weak, but USC hasn’t gotten it right in over a decade. I know great programs go through rough patches, but I think some people assume recruiting to USC should be easy. I’m no longer convinced they have a huge recruiting advantage, as the landscape of football has changed, and the LA sales pitch doesn’t hold the same allure. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s true, Riley was basically afraid of the SEC, but I think Oklahoma has all the tools to succeed in that conference. The PAC 12 is weak, but USC hasn’t gotten it right in over a decade. I know great programs go through rough patches, but I think some people assume recruiting to USC should be easy. I’m no longer convinced they have a huge recruiting advantage, as the landscape of football has changed, and the LA sales pitch doesn’t hold the same allure. 

The recruiting ground in Southern cal is extremely rich and they are losing guys to bama, Ohio state, you name it. There is no reason it should be that way. Right now Elias ricks is in the portal and usc is one of his top 4. He’s from mater dei HS. He will probably end up there now because they finally have a real coach. It might be too late for the ‘22 class that signs in s few weeks but he could flip some kids, hit the portal, load up the ‘23 class and I think have them in a good place. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The recruiting ground in Southern cal is extremely rich and they are losing guys to bama, Ohio state, you name it. There is no reason it should be that way. Right now Elias ricks is in the portal and usc is one of his top 4. He’s from mater dei HS. He will probably end up there now because they finally have a real coach. It might be too late for the ‘22 class that signs in s few weeks but he could flip some kids, hit the portal, load up the ‘23 class and I think have them in a good place. 

That’s definitely true, and I know you have a lot of knowledge on the college game. USC returning to prominence is just the type of thing I’ll believe when I see. Riley has a big job ahead of him to restore the luster of USC. That’s what it’s going to take to land recruits imo. I don’t care who the coach is, there’s no way BYU with a huge recruiting disadvantage should be outperforming USC. It all makes me wonder if there’s deeper issues than what meets the eye. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s definitely true, and I know you have a lot of knowledge on the college game. USC returning to prominence is just the type of thing I’ll believe when I see. Riley has a big job ahead of him to restore the luster of USC. That’s what it’s going to take to land recruits imo. I don’t care who the coach is, there’s no way BYU with a huge recruiting disadvantage should be outperforming USC. It all makes me wonder if there’s deeper issues than what meets the eye. 

Well they don’t have a lot of fan support or culture. That’s an issue, but a lot of kids right now care most about NIL deals and draft position ( understandable but a bit sad)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

There was a poster here who was crusading that McD was checked out because he was taking that USC job.  It obviously had no basis in fact, but that was his hot take for what was behind the teams various struggles this year.

Thank goodness he didn't get the job. Now he can get his head back in the game.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

There was a poster here who was crusading that McD was checked out because he was taking that USC job.  It obviously had no basis in fact, but that was his hot take for what was behind the teams various struggles this year.

Was it the Bigfoot from outer space guy?

Edited by Mark Vader

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a lot of uncertainty and little on-field upside for Oklahoma moving into the SEC.   No more cake-walks into playoff contention.  

Riley has a chance to go to USC and dominate recruiting in the west and basically turn them into another version of what Oklahoma has been.

Wow, what a great way to describe the situation and this would appear to be exactly what is likely to happen.

Even this might take a while. As we speak, two of the best QBs in the NCAA are from California but play in the SEC. Also, the best linemen seem to leave the west coast as well.

Riley might not be able to change this with a snap of his fingers.  In my very strong opinion, Sarkisian is a GREAT offensive mind. Maybe the best I have ever seen. He is really struggling in Texas (a state that surprisingly loses some good players too). That said, Sark might just be cleaning house. Is this what is happening down there? 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rumors are here in Oklahoma.... Riley protested the move to the SEC. Why would Oklahoma need to go to a conference like the SEC? They practically ran the Big XII. Top 10 recruiting classes and OU has enough money it shouldn't have been a huge increase for their market. 

He's been unhappy with the Board of Regents all year. 

What's crazy, they lose Riley and can fall back on Bob Stoops (the intern HC now). 

But all that said, F*** OU. Go Pokes!!!! 37-33 :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Rumors are here in Oklahoma.... Riley protested the move to the SEC. Why would Oklahoma need to go to a conference like the SEC?

$$$$$$$

3 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

They practically ran the Big XII. Top 10 recruiting classes and OU has enough money it shouldn't have been a huge increase for their market. 

It will.

That's why Texas is willing to dump the Longhorn Network to join the SEC.

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wow, what a great way to describe the situation and this would appear to be exactly what is likely to happen.

Even this might take a while. As we speak, two of the best QBs in the NCAA are from California but play in the SEC. Also, the best linemen seem to leave the west coast as well.

Riley might not be able to change this with a snap of his fingers.  In my very strong opinion, Sarkisian is a GREAT offensive mind. Maybe the best I have ever seen. He is really struggling in Texas (a state that surprisingly loses some good players too). That said, Sark might just be cleaning house. Is this what is happening down there? 

I think Texas problem has long been that there are too many schools in Texas competing for the same talent.

Staying in conference with most of them has been "playing down to your competition" in recruiting.

Moving to the SEC should improve them on the field in the long run.

It has improved Texas A&M for the same reason........they had something to gain on the field by moving to the SEC.

Now.....if you want to go to a place like Baylor or Texas Tech or TCU instead of Texas or Texas A&M you are voluntarily going to a lesser conference.   In the past too many recruits were just choosing their local school or family alma mater and still getting the same league experience and exposure as if they went to Texas.

Oklahoma has benefitted greatly from the in-fighting in recruiting in Texas and have been able to cash in while Texas basically carried the conference financially.   It's definitely not a "gain" move or lateral move for them, IMO. 

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Didn't Riley bench him? Why would he go there?

I mean I don't think it's a personal issue for Riley or rattler

Rattler wasn't playing well so Lincoln made a move.. basically 95% of other colleges wouldn't even have the option to replace rattler but Oklahoma's loaded  

He knows the system and has experience... I would expect Caleb or rattler to follow

And most starting quarterbacks don't leave

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think Texas problem has long been that there are too many schools in Texas competing for the same talent.

Staying in conference with most of them has been "playing down to your competition" in recruiting.

Moving to the SEC should improve them on the field in the long run.

It has improved Texas A&M for the same reason........they had something to gain on the field by moving to the SEC.

Now.....if you want to go to a place like Baylor or Texas Tech or TCU instead of Texas or Texas A&M you are voluntarily going to a lesser conference.   In the past too many recruits were just choosing their local school or family alma mater and still getting the same league experience and exposure as if they went to Texas.

Oklahoma has benefitted greatly from the in-fighting in recruiting in Texas and have been able to cash in while Texas basically carried the conference financially.   It's definitely not a "gain" move or lateral move for them, IMO. 

I don't get Texas. I mean historically, they are as storied a program as Alabama and USC, but they have flat-out struggled over the last decade. They were pretty dominant in the Mac Brown era too (7 top ten finishes in 9 seasons between 2001 and 2009), and have 26 top ten finishes since they started ranking teams in 1940 (82 years; or basically one out of every three seasons).  SC has 31 and Bama had 31 before the Saban era. It's also a great school in one of the best cities in the country, and the program has massive support behind it (donors, the state, an enormous fan base, etc.). I get that there is a lot of competition in Texas, but there's a lot of competition in California (I include the states of Oregon and Arizona here; the schools there all draw from CA) and Florida too. I expect they'll rebound, but I can't understand why they've been in a funk for nearly a decade. I have to think it's bad coaching hires. Maybe Sarkisian is a genius, but he took over a team with four straight winning seasons and got them to 5-7 in a not-great conference. They also lost 6 in a row before finally squeaking by Kansas State in the finale. I can't imagine he's long for that program.        

Note the UB reference here! https://hookemheadlines.com/2021/11/15/texas-football-the-fire-steve-sarkisian-talk-needs-to-stop/. No team should ever lose 57-56 to the Kansas Jayhawks--a historical doormat if there ever was one--unless it's a college basketball game.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't get Texas. I mean historically, they are as storied a program as Alabama and USC, but they have flat-out struggled over the last decade. They were pretty dominant in the Mac Brown era too (7 top ten finishes in 9 seasons between 2001 and 2009), and have 26 top ten finishes since they started ranking teams in 1940 (82 years; or basically one out of every three seasons).  SC has 31 and Bama had 31 before the Saban era. It's also a great school in one of the best cities in the country, and the program has massive support behind it (donors, the state, an enormous fan base, etc.). I get that there is a lot of competition in Texas, but there's a lot of competition in California (I include the states of Oregon and Arizona here; the schools there all draw from CA) and Florida too. I expect they'll rebound, but I can't understand why they've been in a funk for nearly a decade. I have to think it's bad coaching hires. Maybe Sarkisian is a genius, but he took over a team with four straight winning seasons and got them to 5-7 in a not-great conference. They also lost 6 in a row before finally squeaking by Kansas State in the finale. I can't imagine he's long for that program.        

Note the UB reference here! https://hookemheadlines.com/2021/11/15/texas-football-the-fire-steve-sarkisian-talk-needs-to-stop/. No team should ever lose 57-56 to the Kansas Jayhawks--a historical doormat if there ever was one--unless it's a college basketball game.

They leveled the recruiting field for lesser schools in Texas.........they shouldn't even be playing those schools every year.

Florida has an issue with too many football schools too but what gives the big 3 Florida schools a chance to avoid Texas fate is that they aren't sharing league's with all the of the "new" Florida schools.   Gotta' keep them at arms length and not share the $ with them to keep them in their place.    

Riley gives the conference the first superstar HC + big school combo since Pete Carroll.    In fact,  he's probably bigger now than Carroll was when he was hired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They leveled the recruiting field for lesser schools in Texas.........they shouldn't even be playing those schools every year.

Florida has an issue with too many football schools too but what gives the big 3 Florida schools a chance to avoid Texas fate is that they aren't sharing league's with all the of the "new" Florida schools.   Gotta' keep them at arms length and not share the $ with them to keep them in their place.    

Riley gives the conference the first superstar HC + big school combo since Pete Carroll.    In fact,  he's probably bigger now than Carroll was when he was hired.

As a UCLA alum, I'm not happy! But I do think Kelly is actually building a pretty good program. The Bruins aren't dominant, but they really improved. They had a good year and are well coached. I assume the recruiting will follow, and Chip has a record of getting his guys.

He was never gonna win a Championship in Okie:  3 NCAA CFP appearances in 3 years, 3 losses with his teams surrendering 162 points, including an embarrassing blowout in their last showing.

He's running from the SEC to LA for towns of money. I don't see USC in the playoffs while he's there, nor will he finish his contract.   He will have a year to impress top college future recruits.  Then they will turn their sights to the SEC, which soon will be the NFL of the NCAA.

Edited by Mr. WEO

19 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Was it the Bigfoot from outer space guy?

I think it was thriftygamer83, at least there’s a thread where he was pushing this.  He hid it in a thread he titled Carson Palmer.  Anyway, I forget if that was the same poster who was repeatedly bringing it up in the GDT.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean I don't think it's a personal issue for Riley or rattler

Rattler wasn't playing well so Lincoln made a move.. basically 95% of other colleges wouldn't even have the option to replace rattler but Oklahoma's loaded  

He knows the system and has experience... I would expect Caleb or rattler to follow

And most starting quarterbacks don't leave

Well Rattler officially announced today that he’s entering the transfer portal.

16 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I think it was thriftygamer83, at least there’s a thread where he was pushing this.  He hid it in a thread he titled Carson Palmer.  Anyway, I forget if that was the same poster who was repeatedly bringing it up in the GDT.

I think Rattler is going to end up at Oregon, SMU or S Carolina

On 11/29/2021 at 5:10 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I believe it was 'ThriftyGamer83'.  Another basement rec room sports and game pundit with a YouTube channel.  

I'm just remembering how quite a few of you had said, that colleges would never buy out someones housing, contracts, and or offer hundreds of millions of dollars which in no way is reality.  Then I'm looking at the monetary specifications poured in for analysis and wrong on McDermott.  I was right on the money being offered.  I guess that means for a backhanded comment I knew a little bit more about what colleges were willing to offer and you knew much, much less then what you could put up as for calling me rec room I'll take it.  At least I can see what and how colleges would offer in secretive hiring practices.  What type of crystal balls do you use?  I'm guessing you are thinking coaches only get the hundreds of thousands of dollars or less then that.  I'll take being right on the buyouts offered.  Crap no wonder why Westlake wrote about a college bowl game getting knocked off just cannot remember if it's "The Seventh" or "The Split".  

20 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Well, thank G*d I wasn't right on the whole of hundreds of millions of dollars being paid out, Coaches being willing to relocate their families, having Colleges, and Universities buy out their homes.  While, purchasing lavish new mansions and moving them in.  I would never be write on how much Colleges or universities would be willing to give as I'm looking at the contract specifications right, I mean right.  No wonder why Westlake wrote about a bowl game getting knocked off and speculating how much money was involved even in college sports.  Right on the money, buy outs, moving families, and housing offers wrong on McDermott.  You guys said that type of money would never be offered, right?  I'll just see myrself out of this because as far as how much "some fans" might not think about monetary issues of colleges and universities sniping and poaching talents like Brian Kelly; a good Irish-Catholic with his dream job can still be liable to turn tricks for a job like the girls my Great-Uncle  Tommy Fitzmorris used to bring in for the Irish mob.

13 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

I'm just remembering how quite a few of you had said, that colleges would never buy out someones housing, contracts, and or offer hundreds of millions of dollars which in no way is reality.  Then I'm looking at the monetary specifications poured in for analysis and wrong on McDermott.  I was right on the money being offered.  I guess that means for a backhanded comment I knew a little bit more about what colleges were willing to offer and you knew much, much less then what you could put up as for calling me rec room I'll take it.  At least I can see what and how colleges would offer in secretive hiring practices.  What type of crystal balls do you use?  I'm guessing you are thinking coaches only get the hundreds of thousands of dollars or less then that.  I'll take being right on the buyouts offered.  Crap no wonder why Westlake wrote about a college bowl game getting knocked off just cannot remember if it's "The Seventh" or "The Split".  

I watched less than two minutes of you playing a video game on your YouTube channel, in what looked to be you in a basement den room.  Don't flatter yourself, ace.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I watched less than two minutes of you playing a video game on your YouTube channel, in what looked to be you in a basement den room.  Don't flatter yourself, ace.

I do it for fun and to reflect on memories of my older brother.  Don't make it personal please there are so many other things you could do instead of the basement den attack.  As I've stated several times in several videos that's why I do it.  If you make it personal it's just an antiquated attack designed to provoke an emotional response.  Now, have a recording studio setup the downstairs was as not to wake my son.  Do, better man you've got virtually an entire rhetorical stereotype to do on me.  I'll just wait and roll my eyes toward whatever stereotypical attack comes next.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.