The Buffalo Bills are a Soft Football Team. Is this Fixable? (Tyler Dunne article)

Logic

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's so many factors going into this Bills slump. Daboll just hasn't been the same since losing his grandparents. Losing key players to C19 doesn't help. Reading too much of your "hype" news clippings factors in. And our 3 new young DE's are still learning. The OL doesn't have the skillset to make our 3 mediocre RB's any better.  And since the Steelers loss, teams have the blueprint.  It will be a very telling story as to how these last 7 games play out?

And we have not adapted one bit.  That's on coaching.  We have overvalued our talent at many positions dramatically.  The mojo just has not been there.  Team played with no confidence once they fell behind even at 7-0.  It was obvious to see.  Big problem is our RB's.  As a group they are lousy and noone fears them.  RB's set the tone with their physicality.  We don't get that, and we seem soft.  I would bench both Singletary and Moss this week.  Send a message.  Start Antonio Williams and Breida.  Let the team know mediocrity is not acceptable.  I would cut or sit Butler and Phillips.  We have to have someone on the practice squad who can play DT.  Those guys are beyond bad.  Send a message.  No changes means losing is acceptable.  Lets hope that is not the case. 

"... would probably look for a big bodied DT in the second,"

Bills won't draft a fatty.... I would love Ted Washington next to Kyle Williams.....I loved TW but we won't even look at players like that.... Too fat and slow is their thinking.... They will wear down easily.....

TW played the whole game almost.... IAnd if you can rest him like the Bills like to do, He can be a huge impact player when rested. Just tell him what to do. Crush half the line? Can do! Eat the RB on a given play?  Will do five yards deep.

Ted was the best.....

Our RBs are worse than mediocre, they have to go. Cody can show them the door.....

If we don't replace our backs next year it will be very hard to win.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well would you say they still suck when the Oline and Defense is healthy?  

Yes.  They are mentally soft.  When faced with adversity, they crumble.  They will be lucky to make the playoffs at this point.  I know the truth hurts, but it's over.  This team is most likely going to be 6-6 after the next 2.  I think its just a matter of time before we see a full implosion.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

McD is the soft one.  IMO this game was lost in large part due to his softness.  Down 17 and 4th-5.  The entire offense begged to go for it.  Everything should tell a coach go for it there.  You make it and the momentum swings.  Especially if you get a TD out of it. 3 points does nothing in that situation.  A TD keeps us in the game.  When McD called that offense off the field you could see how demoralized they were when they all hung their head and McD patted them on the back.

Thats where the game was lost.  You dont demoralize players like that in that situation.  The only call there is to go for it.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I would bench both Singletary and Moss this week.  Send a message.  

What's the message - "you guys aren't big enough?"  

They are back ups and barely good enough for that.  They don't have elite pedigrees to begin with and they aren't getting better.

I know the ypc is up but I feel like it's inflated by some opportune runs by Singletary vs 7 DBs on 2nd or 3rd and longs.   

I bet if you took his 2 longest carries away he's under 4 ypc.  Easily.  

Just checked its 4.2

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Yes.  They are mentally soft.  When faced with adversity, they crumble.  They will be lucky to make the playoffs at this point.  I know the truth hurts, but it's over.  This team is most likely going to be 6-6 after the next 2.  I think its just a matter of time before we see a full implosion.

Well, thing is, is there is 2 games that stand out the most where offense in particular struggled. That was Jags and Indy. Both those games the Oline was missing important pieces. 

Just now, Big Blitz said:

They are back ups and barely good enough for that.  They don't have elite pedigrees to begin with and they aren't getting better.

I know the ypc is up but I feel like it's inflated by some opportune runs by Singletary vs 7 DBs on 2nd or 3rd and longs.   

Just checked its 4.2

You could do that to any running back in the league... take away their longest carries and they wouldnt look so hot.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

You could do that to any running back in the league... take away their longest carries and they wouldnt look so hot.

2?  I took away 2 carries.  His 5.0 ypc dropped to 4.2.  

No chance that you find a drop like that taking away 2 carries of any say top 20 RB in the league.  

4 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

Bare minimum, I would love to see a massive, yet effective, investment/revamp to the o line.  That will completely change the team.

A bruising oline will make an average RB look much better.  As a result they can sustain longer drives thus giving the defense more rest.

I'm willing to bet the Bills could pass even better with better blocking and lesser WRs.

Trench warfare absolutely.  And spend what capital we have left on big uglies at DT.  Thanks @Buffalo ill

The Bills beat the ***** out f the chefs and lost to the titans by only one play.....

Things need to go to the repair shop pls we gotta get healthy. It would be if we had our bye now but we don't And gotta hope players are back by then and our team can run a better game plan.

Next year we hopefully can make major repairs to DT, G, G/C, RBs, TE, WR and outside corner.

We need to resign Star for a Year and draft a DT #1. I'm on the fence with Ed, I just don't know but leaning to no. If no, we gotta get another DT from somewhere.

Ideally, Feliciano would be your first man off the bench on the interior. What we need are two guards better than Feliciano, imho. Hopefully, Dawkins and Brown have great offseasons. Is Williams better than Feliciano at guard? I don't know? If he is a good guard, then we need One new good guard and a swing tackle, at least someone to compete with Doyle at swing. We HAVE TO fix that OL. We draft a G then a DT or vice -versa. The Bills need to look at every school in the nation's running backs and find two big athlete's and coach them up....

Beane wasted two third round picks on Singletary and Moss. We need two new backs that are strong and fast and can run, block and catch. This, along with fixing the Interior lines would solve most of our problems. But if we want the best offense in the NFL we need a big, fast #2 WR. Someone bigger and faster than Davis imho..... We got to get some athletes at WR.

Lastly, we need a second good two-way TE so we can run some 12 vs. offenses that don't match up well with it. Knox is good enough, we just need another good TE.

Finally, we need an outside corner to compete with Wallace and Jackson. Our secondary is good otherwise and we're good at LB with Tremaine and Milano. Only if they'd stay healthy.

We will have some dough from letting go of Sanders, Hughes and Addison. Maybe not signing Ed's fifth year option. I say make him play for a contract as we try and win a Super Bowl. Get the Big(ger) DT, the mean, athletic guard, the running backs, the TE, a big, fast WR (maybe Hodgins and the other WR can help?) The Bills have to pull off some outstanding moves and draft better than anyone.....

4 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

Bare minimum, I would love to see a massive, yet effective, investment/revamp to the o line.  That will completely change the team.

A bruising oline will make an average RB look much better.  As a result they can sustain longer drives thus giving the defense more rest.

I'm willing to bet the Bills could pass even better with better blocking and lesser WRs.

The whole "rest" thing doesn't mean anything.

There's no data to suggest defensive performance drops off with time on-field.

These guys are elite athletes.

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The whole "rest" thing doesn't mean anything.

There's no data to suggest defensive performance drops off with time on-field.

These guys are elite athletes.

Well if your defense allows a team to run all over you with a few passes sprinkled in successfully resulting in a 8-10 min drive for a TD, afterwards your offense immediately goes 3 and out and defense has to get right back out there.....I'd say the defense is likely tired and in need of a slight breather. Those type scenarios can for sure result in defensive drop off and it has before, many times

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

I don't think McDermott, Frazier and Daboll are good at in-game adjustments.

Seems like they cook up a game plan and don't deviate from it.

Good coaches at least go in at halftime to cook up alternative plans to compensate for getting out played. Our coaches don't seem to do that very well, if at all.

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No chance that you find a drop like that taking away 2 carries of any say top 20 RB in the league.  

Bills at Titans Derrick Henry

20 carries 143 yards 7.2 ypc

Take away 1 carry for 76 yards and you get 19 carries for 67 yards 3.5 ypc

Done and done.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Good coaches at least go in at halftime to cook up alternative plans to compensate for getting out played. Our coaches don't seem to do that very well, if at all.

They're horrible at it. I don't know if they're just stubborn, arrogant, or have too much faith  but there are some games where the strategy they came in with is obviously isn't working and they just stick with it.  It's beyond frustrating. 

They do the same things with players.  I call it the "Peterman problem". They are stupidly loyal and faithful to their guys.  It's why Brieda can't see the field even though he's been highly effective whenever he can get a touch. No, we gotta trot out Zack "0 yard gain" Moss.

There's no reason Addison should be getting as many snaps as he is, and frankly the same goes with Hughes (although he didn't get a ton of game time Sunday). Addison was making huge mistakes Sunday, and teams know exactly who he is. We invested all of these high picks in the D-Line and our first and second rounders are seeing what? 30% of the snaps.  It's unacceptable.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol......my math is for the SEASON not one game.   

Yeah great.  Derrick Henry 219 carries 937 yards 4.27 YPC.  -76 and -60. 217 carries 801 yards 3.69 YPC  difference of 0.58.  Whopping difference from Singletary of 0.22.

You can make stats show anything you want.  You dont take away carries that actually happen to try and prove some point.  Thats just ridiculous.

Obviously if Singletary got 20+ carries a game he wouldnt be getting 5.0 YPC by the end of the season.  He is still a better back than Moss and thats all that really matters right now.  Stop putting Moss on the field.  The guy gets lucky to get a yard.

Edited by Scott7975

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

This is a ridiculous thing to do because you’re taking the plays away that make them special (ie, game changing plays), but if you ARE going to insist on doing it, at least give them 25 yard carries on those plays and don’t wipe them out entirely. But again, getting read of the big time explosive plays kinda misses the point of football.

17 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Just checked its 4.2

I agree wholeheartedly.  I have no idea why either was drafted in the 3rd round.  Neither has any explosiveness.  And they are not difference makers.  Every skill player on your roster needs to be able to be a difference maker at some point.  These two are extraordinarily average at best!!  Wow its so frustrating.  

22 hours ago, Logic said:

The full version of this article appears to be behind a paywall. If anyone has access to it and is willing to share any more excerpts, it would be much appreciated. As it is, just the viewable beginning portion and article title hint at the overall gist of the piece.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-are-a-soft-football

The tired phrase was championed by fans and put into action by the front office.

Run it back.

Head coach Sean McDermott made no bones about it after his team’s season ended in the AFC Championship Game. He and GM Brandon Beane wanted to bring back everyone they could from their 15-4 team which, at first glance, sounds like a swell idea. They re-signed Matt Milano, Daryl Williams and Jon Feliciano. They made Josh Allen a very rich man, too. The only logical next step for the Bills, in 2021, was to reach the Super Bowl, win the Super Bowl and start naming streets in Orchard Park after all conquering heroes involved.

Head coach Sean McDermott and GM Brandon Beane decided the best plan of attack was to field the same team and play the same way. Right now, the Bills are 6-4. They’ve beaten one good football team, the Kansas City Chiefs, that has actually morphed into a completely different team since then. Two of their last three games were calamities on par with some of the worst losses from the team’s 17-year playoff drought.

The Bills were bullied by the lowly 2-8 Jacksonville Jaguars and, after a brief reprieve to Mike White Island, curb-stomped 41-15 by the Indianapolis Colts.

There’s no under-selling it: This is a defining moment for McDermott, the true czar at One Bills Drive.

McDermott has not offered detail on much of anything through his four years of press conferences but if there was ever a time to be as human as possible — to send a message — it was Sunday evening after watching his defense get steamrolled for five touchdowns by Jonathan Taylor. This was no anomaly. All four teams that’ve beaten the Bills did so with a hammer. Instead, everyone was mostly treated to the usual lullaby.

“I believe we’re a physical football team. When I mention the point of attack on the defensive side, we’ve been better. Just in terms of our hand violence up front. So, 250, 286 yards, whatever it was rushing, it’s hard to win. And then when you turn the ball over, that’s a bad formula right there.”

And…

“It starts with a mentality and an attitude. It’s a one-on-one game. You’ve got to win your one-on-ones.”

And…

“At the end of the day, nobody wants to go through what we just went through. Give the Colts the credit. But again, I believe we’re a better football team but we have to play a better complete game than what we did in all three phrases.”

And…

“It’s a journey every season. It’s going to ebb and flow. That, to me, is part of the challenge and I love that challenge to be honest with you. Not that you want to lose. But it’s making those adjustments to make our team exactly what it needs to be, and learn who you are as a team. And we continue to grow and move forward. We’ll see where we are after Thursday night.”

Not quite an address that’ll send players running through the nearest wall, no. I get it. This was McDermott’s appeal to begin with. My esteemed podcast co-host Jim Monos — who pushed for McDermott to get an interview and recommended the owners hire him — has noted several times on our show that McDermott’s sense of calm and direction was valued after two years of the batshit-crazy Rex Ryan Era.

But a loss like this — a Mike Tyson vs. Steve Urkel two-second knockout — demands more fire from the head coach. This loss is completely on those at the top of the organization because it’s clear that these 2021 Bills operate as front-runners. If the getting’s good against bottom-feeders, they’ll win by 30. They’ll dance and flex all over your grave. But if you’re a team capable of throwing that uppercut? These Bills, in 2021, retreat to the corner.

With the first shoulder lowered by Taylor, this game was a wrap.

Soft teams generally have soft Coaches that's about it right now.  Seen Bellicheat smash tablets, other Coaches, and players pump up their teammates.  Drought level era coaching and leadership right just saying.

4 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Soft teams generally have soft Coaches that's about it right now.  Seen Bellicheat smash tablets, other Coaches, and players pump up their teammates.  Drought level era coaching and leadership right just saying.

Drough era coaching…right.   Because Duck Jauron and Chan Gailey reached the AFC championship game when they were here

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Drough era coaching…right.   Because Duck Jauron and Chan Gailey reached the AFC championship game when they were here

Have no idea where you are going with this.  Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey loved their field goals too.  Now, I also miss the Ryan brothers when they would stuff a running game and use a 46 over and under scheme to also rack up the sacks.  

4 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Have no idea where you are going with this.  Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey loved their field goals too.  Now, I also miss the Ryan brothers when they would stuff a running game and use a 46 over and under scheme to also rack up the sacks.  

Ahhh...the day Rex hired brother Rob...such an historic day lol

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Get used to it…. It’s McDs philosophy with the defensive line. He likes a 9 man rotation. 

I'm okay with a rotation, but since it's a rotation if somebody out there is stinking up the filed with poor play (Like how Addison was atrocious Sunday) then bench their ass and let the high draft capital have a shot and building some rhythm.   The unrelenting loyalty to players who aren't playing well comes off like arrogance.

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The team may be a tad soft....but there are huge sections of the fanbase that are even softer. 

Those are the ones for whom the Aristocrats Joke was made.

10 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Ahhh...the day Rex hired brother Rob...such an historic day lol

They lit a fire and kept Quarterbacks and running games stuffed.  The only problem was not having any real offense whatsoever and Whaley wouldn't let anyone touch his chosen one in Manuel.... hotel room Quarterback situation.... that was uhmmmm, I have Uncles and they are not that deep into Liberace....

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm okay with a rotation, but since it's a rotation if somebody out there is stinking up the filed with poor play (Like how Addison was atrocious Sunday) then bench their ass and let the high draft capital have a shot and building some rhythm.   The unrelenting loyalty to players who aren't playing well comes off like arrogance.

Agree, I'm fine with the rotation but same time keep the hot player on the field as much as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Agree, I'm fine with the rotation but same time keep the hot player on the field as much as possible. 

Rotation is even better if you use different defensive bases during games, Levy used to do that, adapt, use hybrid line calls, and drop backs.  Watching Lou Saban use early forms of it for dropping back zones and blitz schemes.... just like you've got to step into the past to use it in the future.  We did it with Kyle and Trent Murphy now it's just rushes without a blitz.  

20 hours ago, RosseauDaGawd said:

Not fixable as long as Josh Allen is our QB, unfortunately. Guy is a cry baby ***** and the team takes their lead from the QB.

Josh is not a cry baby, his inept offensive line replacements appear to have missed their memo, and have largely left him hanging.  Nobody can play behind that line and last.  McDermott well.... his faith in Peterman was misplaced until Beane inserted himself into the situation and resolved it.  Got. feeling we might be making some cuts, getting some calls going to FA, and adjusting the teams offensive line.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:09 PM, I'm Spartacus said:

Great coaches like Belichick change game plans after drives or quarters.  Not halftime. I completely agree that these 3 coaches devise a game plan and lock it in. And rarely deviate from that. Even down 24-7. In game management has never been a strength of McDermott. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, ScottLaw said:

Well not really… they do seem to have issues when it comes to adversity at the moment…. They seem to be pressing hard offensively,  IMO…. Just look at Allen when one little thing goes wrong…. He throws a fit and it seems to stay with him all game.  

I agree with this.  He's been like this since his rookie year.  But this year is different.  He's screaming at his teammates.  He's getting visibly upset on the field when his teammates commit penalties.  And once he crosses that line, all composure is lost and he's a complete shitshow.  He needs to be mentally tougher, IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.