What has happened to Gabriel Davis?

Gordio

10 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

This!!

They are massively missing YAC from their recievers, minus Diggs. The short passing game isn't working because their literally is no threat of YAC. It was massively apparent on Sunday vs Jax. Allen was passing underneath but Beasely, Singletary, Moss and Sweeney were not hurting the Jax defense with the YAC. 

They are very close to breaking some big plays on these short passes..........but they don't have elusive RAC targets on the field.

We've seen a lot of bad OC's try to force square pegs into round holes here over the years..........this isn't exactly sending Sam Gash out to the X or Z wideout position.........but a lot of the play calls they want to use just don't match up with the personnel they have on the field.   

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They are very close to breaking some big plays on these short passes..........but they don't have elusive RAC targets on the field.

We've seen a lot of bad OC's try to force square pegs into round holes here over the years..........this isn't exactly sending Sam Gash out to the X or Z wideout position.........but a lot of the play calls they want to use just don't match up with the personnel they have on the field.   

On Sunday it was clear Beasley was injured and not only were they force-feeding him, they were slamming him into the defense on bubble screens as a substitute for a running game.  He got beat up even more and could barely finish the game.  It was General MacArthur-level insanity and it’s squarely a coaching/communication issue - really bad look for McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

On Sunday it was clear Beasley was injured and not only were they force-feeding him, they were slamming him into the defense on bubble screens as a substitute for a running game.  He got beat up even more and could barely finish the game.  It was General MacArthur-level insanity and it’s squarely a coaching/communication issue - really bad look for McDermott.

Beasley's health might have been the difference between winning and losing that game the way Daboll called it.     They leaned on him heavily to get them out of their doldrums on offense against Miami but he just didn't have the ability to get the extra yards.........and even dropped a gimme that killed a drive.    I recall one play where he pulled up short of the first where he basically slid down instead of his customary dive forward because he didn't want to take a shot in the ribs.   He was OBVIOUSLY hindered.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Didn't he get undercut on the first interception?

No, that was Beasley.

Eric Woods diagrams that play on "Chopping Wood" and points out that it's not clear whether Allen's throw is inaccurate, or whether he and Beasley weren't on the same page about what route option Beasley was going to run (miscommunication)

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/chopping-wood-good-and-the-bad-from-the-loss-to-the-jags

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beasley's health might have been the difference between winning and losing that game the way Daboll called it.     They leaned on him heavily to get them out of their doldrums on offense against Miami but he just didn't have the ability to get the extra yards.........and even dropped a gimme that killed a drive.    I recall one play where he pulled up short of the first where he basically slid down instead of his customary dive forward because he didn't want to take a shot in the ribs.   He was OBVIOUSLY hindered.

I thought that Beasley should not have been out there this week.  He's competitive, he's a gamer, but there comes a point when you have to ask if an obviously hindered Beasley is on the field ahead of McKenzie or Davis, shouldn't the Bills look for a better backup to be on the team?

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, that was Beasley.

Eric Woods diagrams that play on "Chopping Wood" and points out that it's not clear whether Allen's throw is inaccurate, or whether he and Beasley weren't on the same page about what route option Beasley was going to run (miscommunication)

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/chopping-wood-good-and-the-bad-from-the-loss-to-the-jags

I thought that Beasley should not have been out there this week.  He's competitive, he's a gamer, but there comes a point when you have to ask if an obviously hindered Beasley is on the field ahead of McKenzie or Davis, shouldn't the Bills look for a better backup to be on the team?

Yeah you could clearly see he was in pain as he dragged his azz off the field a few times

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than create a new thread I thought I would just bump this one. It likely won't happen but is it time to give Davis the majority of the snaps over Sanders? Sanders has been out snapping Davis by a significant margin this season. McDermott has not been afraid to shake up the lineups recently with inactivating Moss in favor of an increased work load for Brieda. I'm not saying make Sanders inactive. But I wouldn't mind exploring the option of flipping the play counts for Davis and Sanders. This last game Sanders was on the field for 51 snaps and Davis 28. I'm thinking maybe flip those numbers. I like both players I'm just not sure Sanders has warranted the significantly higher number of snaps he is getting over Davis. For what it is worth on the year Davis has both a higher catch percentage and higher YPR than Sanders. 

The one caveat though is I think it is much easier to tweak the RB personnel. That is more of a plug in and play position. Their is more nuisance to the receiving positions.

Find the right balance. I don't think that means just reversing their snap counts, but Josh and the running game are served well by Davis in some situations moreso than Sanders.

Davis blocks well and he's the one guy Josh has (not including Knox at TE) who can consistently body up a DB in a 1:1 matchup. 

If the game is going the way the Bills want it to, the series of events goes something like this:

The Bills are running the ball effectively > Davis is out there more often to block > the defense is cheating up more to stop the run > Davis is 1:1 down the field

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Rather than create a new thread I thought I would just bump this one. It likely won't happen but is it time to give Davis the majority of the snaps over Sanders? Sanders has been out snapping Davis by a significant margin this season. McDermott has not been afraid to shake up the lineups recently with inactivating Moss in favor of an increased work load for Brieda. I'm not saying make Sanders inactive. But I wouldn't mind exploring the option of flipping the play counts for Davis and Sanders. This last game Sanders was on the field for 51 snaps and Davis 28. I'm thinking maybe flip those numbers. I like both players I'm just not sure Sanders has warranted the significantly higher number of snaps he is getting over Davis. For what it is worth on the year Davis has both a higher catch percentage and higher YPR than Sanders. 

The one caveat though is I think it is much easier to tweak the RB personnel. That is more of a plug in and play position. Their is more nuisance to the receiving positions.

Agree really like Davis more than Sanders. Agree but limit Sanders role more. Have Davis get more snaps.

40 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Rather than create a new thread I thought I would just bump this one. It likely won't happen but is it time to give Davis the majority of the snaps over Sanders?

I still say no. Davis is perfect getting 3-4 deep targets or red zone targets per game. He is also a very good run blocker. As an every down route runner he is not consistent enough. I would love for him to be our #3 outside receiver for the next 4 years. That role fits his skill set.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He got interfered with and held, blatant DPI or defensive holding that wasn't called

2 different games.

The game I was referring to was Jax Nov 7th my post is dated the 9th

But I agree that did happen in the Indy game and I couldn't billieve they got away with it.

On 11/26/2021 at 11:47 PM, HappyDays said:

I still say no. Davis is perfect getting 3-4 deep targets or red zone targets per game. He is also a very good run blocker. As an every down route runner he is not consistent enough. I would love for him to be our #3 outside receiver for the next 4 years. That role fits his skill set.

How would we know (about his inconsistency) when he is not on the field on every down?

On 11/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, HappyDays said:

If he's going to fill that role than we need to find a new outside #2 WR for the long term as can't see Sanders returning because of age. We also have to replace Beasley in the slot so instead we could see Davis #2 next year, either drafting a slot WR or signing one in UFA and drafting a #4 WR.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Davis finally out snap Sanders today? I'd like to know if the coaching staff has finally realized Davis needs to be on the field more than Sanders? IMO Davis should be out there 90% of the snaps pretty much.

Looking at the box score from today Davis has 8 targets to Sanders 1 so I am guessing just off of that this team might be turning the page on Sanders? Unless Sanders got injured? I did tune out large parts of the game as I couldn't take it when the Bills were down big at the half.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.