What has happened to Gabriel Davis?

Gordio

7 hours ago, Pete said:

hot reads.  Aaron Roger and Mahomes will make you pay if you blitz them

The opposing defenses are not blitzing all that much. They don't need to. They get home with 4 or even 3 most of the time. That's the crux of the problem.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s difficult to make adjustments when the line is horrendous and your only starting caliber TE is injured. They can’t run against a light box, and they can’t protect against a four man rush. They’ve tried wr screens, but Sanders whiffs on his blocks. They’ve tried short routes, but teams are sitting on those routes. There isn’t much to adjust to until they can get some competency and consistency up front. 

Those are my thoughts exactly. I'm not sure what to call when you can't block up front. Pretty much nothing works in that case.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, vincec said:

The opposing defenses are not blitzing all that much. They don't need to. They get home with 4 or even 3 most of the time. That's the crux of the problem.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I'm not sure what to call when you can't block up front. Pretty much nothing works in that case.

You’re left with trying backyard football or navy football to find a numeric advantage. That might be why we’ve been seeing those QB sweeps. If Moss is out this week I wouldn’t be surprised to see an option game with Brieda a few times.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We run less 4 WR sets that we did last year.  Knox's snaps before getting hurt doubled from last season.

I never thought I’d ever say gosh I miss Knox hope he’s able to play next week cause we need him 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yet we can't even scheme hot reads or slants on these blitzes. Daboll is struggling. 

I’m ready to see some Matt Brieda.. At this point what do we have to lose 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And frankly, I think that decision needs to be re-examined.

Yeah,  now it does.

But IMO not so much with regard to Gabe can do.

Early in the season Sanders was giving them something they lacked with John Brown.

Now,  with defenses adapting and taking away some of the things Sanders(and Davis) do well...........the Bills miss the speed and quickness they had in John Brown.

I was a bit worried that they were over-focused on "route running" with their WR corps and were leaving themselves a little short in the RAC/playmaking equation.    Early in the season that looked like a misplaced concern.    Now,  it's a thing, IMO.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  now it does.

Early in the season Sanders was giving them something they lacked with John Brown.

Now,  with defenses adapting and taking away some of the things Sanders(and Davis) do well...........the Bills miss the speed and quickness they had in John Brown.

I was a bit worried that they were over-focused on "route running" with their WR corps and were leaving themselves a little short in the RAC/playmaking equation.    Early in the season that looked like a misplaced concern.    Now,  it's a thing, IMO.

In Sanders first game vs Pitts he was 4 of 8

In his second game against Mia he was 2 of 5

Now he was overthrown by Josh sometimes.  Other times it seemed pretty clear he wasn't where Josh expected him to be, when Josh expected him to be there

Not sure defenses are adapting and taking him away recently is the issue

Also not sure John Brown is John Brown anymore.  He was only just signed to the Jags practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In Sanders first game vs Pitts he was 4 of 8

In his second game against Mia he was 2 of 5

Now he was overthrown by Josh sometimes.  Other times it seemed pretty clear he wasn't where Josh expected him to be, when Josh expected him to be there

Not sure defenses are adapting and taking him away recently is the issue

Also not sure John Brown is John Brown anymore.  He was only just signed to the Jags practice squad.

The deep and intermediate throws that Sanders and Davis bring to the table are difficult to execute the way the Bills are being defensed(and the way Daboll is calling the game).

And John Brown himself might be toast but the quickness and speed he brought to the offense when healthy is missed.

With him gone and McKenzie off the field they really don't have a guy who can catch a short throw or screen and run away from somebody.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  now it does.

Good insight 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gordio said:

Just curious why this guy is not in the game plan anymore.  I know he has been battling an ankle injury but if he is that injured why even dress him?   I saw him on the field a few times yesterday and of course he dropped the one target that was thrown to him.   But....this kids confidence has got to be in the toilet right now.  When I go to the games I have noticed there are large stretches where he is not even on the field.  I thought this kid was valuable asset last year, it seemed like everytime he caught a ball it was a first down.  I thought this kid was on his way after last season, pretty disappointing he is not part of the game plan.

Daboll was asked about this earlier this season and he said Gabe Davis plays behind Diggs, Sanders and Beasley.

So this has been a conscious decision to put Gabe Davis down the lineup and limit his touches.

We all watched Davis’ touchdown against Green Bay in preseason., 31-yards, deep, and that component is gone now.

This Coaching Staff rotates Defensive Lineman, but after the Steelers exposed this Offensive Line, the 4-wide and 5-wide empty looks have decreased, and the 3 WR - 1 Tight End looks have increased.

The Bills have also made the decision to remove Isaiah McKenzie from the offense.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  now it does.

This!!

They are massively missing YAC from their recievers, minus Diggs. The short passing game isn't working because their literally is no threat of YAC. It was massively apparent on Sunday vs Jax. Allen was passing underneath but Beasely, Singletary, Moss and Sweeney were not hurting the Jax defense with the YAC. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not one question on why no Gabe Davis, why no Isaiah McKenzie.

It’s all feelings with this media.

Not where is Gabe Davis and where is Isaiah McKenzie. Stop talking.

Warrow loves story telling and long walks in the park. Mookie Hawkins is too obsessed with being friends. 

Instead of dumping off to 4.74 Singletary, how about 4.43 Isaiah McKenzie.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.