Breida in Week 10!

BillsDiehard

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The debate is over, Breida needs to be active every week. He scored 2 TDs from within the red zone tonight, and red zone offense has been our weak link all year long. Neither of those TDs would have been scored by Singletary or Moss. They wouldn't have gotten open in time on the TD pass. They wouldn't have accelerated to the end zone that quickly on the TD run. Take those 2 TDs off the board and consider how much we've struggled in the red zone this year, who knows how those drives finish? Breida creates explosive plays in the red zone. Zero reason he should ever be inactive again.

100%. Singletary/Moss are close enough in ability despite different styles that I don't think we benefit that much by activating the two of them at Breida's expense. Neither one is a starting caliber player, IMO.

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Neither one is a starting caliber player, IMO.

Agreed. They are both decent #2 RBs. They rarely if ever create explosive plays. It was mind boggling to watch the Bills score a rushing TD from 15 yards out. I had forgotten that was possible. Breida is limited in his own ways but his skill set is worth having available.

Edited by HappyDays

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Matt Breida needs more burn Outside zone is his baby and that’s what we run he’s also the best pass catching back we have on the team

Agree 100%. Breida's ability to hit a home run or big chunk plays can be important asset/addition to the Bills offense. He should be getting 5 plus touches a game. 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We actually don’t even know what the playcalling that was I want to think that it’s a miss chip Block and Brieda Has barely played I can forgive him for that but I don’t know Josh was looking the other way

Breida didn't even make a move towards the blitzer so that's why I think it wasn't his responsibility to chip the guy.  I don't know.  But Josh should have seen it coming.

30 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Breida should 100% stay active and handle 10-20 snaps a game. He’s contributing on special teams as well. 
I would really like Daboll to put him in the McKenzie role on the jet sweep motion. 

I like this idea- and I think this is the offense that we should have been running against Jacksonville in the 2nd half

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Breida should 100% stay active and handle 10-20 snaps a game. He’s contributing on special teams as well. 
I would really like Daboll to put him in the McKenzie role on the jet sweep motion. 

Whether it's McKenzie, Breida, Diggs/Sanders, or all of the above.. the jet sweep action better be a staple of this offense moving forward.   

No clue why we didn't do any of it through half of the season, but we can play off it so well in both the running game and passing game.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Whether it's McKenzie, Breida, Diggs/Sanders, or all of the above.. the jet sweep action better be a staple of this offense moving forward.   

No clue why we didn't do any of it through half of the season, but we can play off it so well in both the running game and passing game.  

I’ve been kinda whining the last few weeks about it quite a bit. 
It’s the main difference I see from last year to this, not just in the offense but the key to me is the pass blocking. 
That extra second the defenders have to wait to see if the ball is actually handed off might be the extra second Josh needs to avoid pressure or get the ball away clean. McKenzie is definitely not the only guy capable of doing it. And if we don’t want to use Diggs or sanders the next logical choice to me is Breida. They used him similarly in the preseason 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’ve been kinda whining the last few weeks about it quite a bit. 
It’s the main difference I see from last year to this, not just in the offense but the key to me is the pass blocking. 
That extra second the defenders have to wait to see if the ball is actually handed off might be the extra second Josh needs to avoid pressure or get the ball away clean. McKenzie is definitely not the only guy capable of doing it. And if we don’t want to use Diggs or sanders the next logical choice to me is Breida. They used him similarly in the preseason 

What's wild to me is how different our offense was yesterday.  Not just because we looked good, but because it was so fundamentally different....

We went from 95% shotgun snaps with our running game consisting of shotgun inside handoffs to Moss/Singletary to a mix of under center/shotgun, heavy PA, inside/outside run plays and jet sweep motion.  

I'm certainly happy to see this, but also shocked at how different we looked and why it took to the halfway point of the season to see it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Herc11 said:

You forgot the missed chip block that almost got 17 killed

20 hours ago, Doc said:

He didn’t even make a move towards the defender.  He just went into his pass pattern.  That’s why I don’t think that his job was to even chip the defender.

OK I finally see this being discussed. I noticed this as well. I think protecting the QB HAS to be a priority in this case. I'm not saying that was his responsibility as I simply do not know (and neither do any of you).  But I'm guessing Moss would have at least chipped him on the way out. Couldn't he at least given Josh a heads-up? He clearly did not know the defender was coming unabated.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Dean said:

OK I finally see this being discussed. I noticed this as well. I think protecting the QB HAS to be a priority in this case. I'm not saying that was his responsibility as I simply do not know (and neither do any of you).  But I'm guessing Moss would have at least chipped him on the way out. Couldn't he at least given Josh a heads-up? He clearly did not know the defender was coming unabated.

I just don't think that's how it works. His job was to run his route. Routes are all about timing. He did his job.

It's Allen's job to identify blitzers presnap and make the checks to account for them, or for blockers to adjust and pick up blitzers post snap.

3 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

The shovel pass to Breida is something we need to see more of. Keep the defenses honest by forcing them to move laterally instead of running up the gut or dropping back every play.

Everyone says these things but soon after you will hear the second it doesn't work "Why do we keep doing this, it's not working!"

56 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm still not sold on breida yet... His fumble was literally JV esque 

It's scary to think you might give him the ball in a crucial playoff game.. a few touches and a fumble is scary 

but he is explosive

The fumble is scary. But 2 TDs that we never get from our other RBs. I'll take the risk/reward trade off.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree, yeah brieda could have chipped him but Josh didn't have awareness on that play when he usually has great awareness. Not to mention brieda was open and josh could have quickly dumped it off to him. More on josh than brieda in my opinion.

I had just mentioned to my son that Josh had missed seeing the pass rusher twice already and BOUM, get hits unaware by one coming from his right side. Almost weird.

Only coaches know who to blame on this play, but typically, yes you'd expect the RB to block, chip, or at least yell that he's open. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I just don't think that's how it works. His job was to run his route. Routes are all about timing. He did his job.

It's Allen's job to identify blitzers presnap and make the checks to account for them, or for blockers to adjust and pick up blitzers post snap.

Sorry, I just can't believe, when the RB sees someone racing toward his QB his job is to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. (This wasn't a designed screen where you expect and encourage the defensive pressure,) Not even communicating to the QB, there is someone coming free.  I'm not arguing it was Josh's responsibility. I'm just saying Breida could have found a way to help him out. I'm fairly certain Moss, and even Singletary would have done something. 

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I had just mentioned to my son that Josh had missed seeing the pass rusher twice already and BOUM, get hits unaware by one coming from his right side. Almost weird.

Only coaches know who to blame on this play, but typically, yes you'd expect the RB to block, chip, or at least yell that he's open. 

This

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.