NYS releases Bills stadium study

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I love real football weather as well. Trouble is football isn't built for real weather anymore. 

Why is bad weather considered football weather? I'm gonna guess over 80% of the games are played in games where weather isn't a factor.

• Like (+1) 1

No dome.  It's football, not track and field.  Weather is supposed to play a part in how games go.

40 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The new build includes cheerleaders locker rooms.... 👀

Now that you mention it, isn't it time to bring back the Jills?  

Probably the Eichel situation will get resolved before the Jills situation is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Remember when we used to say “weather was a competitive advantage”? Aka ground and pound days? That’s not the 2021 NFL except for King Henry—-ONE GUY!

offenses, QB, receivers, special teams…no FA wants to play in the constant winds over Lake Erie. 

it is a competitive disadvantage to have excessive winds for recruitment and fan attendance late season.  Crazy to build without an “enclosure” from wind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Did you just say that a multi billionaire would could write a check for the new stadium and still be a multi billionaire isn’t greedy when he puts his hand out for money that comes out of wage earners paychecks?? 

Let’s be clear here, the Pegulas in no way need public monies on any level to build a stadium. 

Sorry, I’ll have to rephrase this. I’d say he’s not being greedy, he’s just not being stupid. I can’t hate on that. That’s just the way the game is played now, and I have no hard feelings for him looking for any and all additional funding from local, state, NFL or federal sources. Like everybody else. 

In fact, I would think less of the Pegulas and the Bills if they didn’t look into all possible sources of funding. That is one reason I wish they could find a way to integrate with UB’s plans. I don’t know where that would be, or what that would look like, but it just makes so much sense! I’m not a local guy anymore, but why build TWO? I know and understand UB wanting an on-campus stadium, I really do, but maybe a top tier stadium helps recruiting. Try to get more state (and maybe federal?)  money by doing the smart thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just please no dome... Most domes look absolutely awful on TV. I want to see swirling snow and dark clouds as a backdrop as I'm enjoying the game on my comfy couch!

I really like what the Vikings did.

It is so bright and airy that it has somewhat of the “feel” of an outdoor stadium.

1100x1900.jpg

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Sorry, I’ll have to rephrase this. I’d say he’s not being greedy, he’s just not being stupid. I can’t hate on that. That’s just the way the game is played now, and I have no hard feelings for him looking for any and all additional funding from local, state, NFL or federal sources. Like everybody else. 

In fact, I would think less of the Pegulas and the Bills if they didn’t look into all possible sources of funding. That is one reason I wish they could find a way to integrate with UB’s plans. I don’t know where that would be, or what that would look like, but it just makes so much sense! I’m not a local guy anymore, but why build TWO? I know and understand UB wanting an on-campus stadium, I really do, but maybe a top tier stadium helps recruiting. Try to get more state (and maybe federal?)  money by doing the smart thing. 

I don’t disagree with the “why build two” thing, I was getting on a bit about folks seemingly thinking that they should be paying a corporations bill for the construction of the infrastructure for that corporation (the Pegulas)  to do business, that makes the Pegulas money.  It irritates me that people just love giving their money to billionaires who don’t need the public’s support to build said infrastructure (stadium) to begin with. It’s a scam that folk appear to have fallen for, and they keep falling for it over and over. 

39 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I really like what the Vikings did.

It is so bright and airy that it has somewhat of the “feel” of an outdoor stadium.

1100x1900.jpg

That's not bad, but it would be much more expensive than the roof estimate from this study, which assumed basic structure and not glass

33 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

That's not bad, but it would be much more expensive than the roof estimate from this study, which assumed basic structure and not glass

Adjusted for inflation (and, admittedly, ignoring the cost differences based on state, location, etc.) this place would be $1.2 billion today. Would it not be in their interest to look into a non-traditional structure like Minn? It seems affordable based on the numbers they’re throwing around.

FYI the Minn US Bank funding deal broke down: 50% vikings, 35% state, 15% city. The city is already late on payments. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If they don't put a retractible roof on it, they won't play a SB in the stadium. All the new stadiums are hosting one but we won't get one with open air in the elements in February 

Buffalo is never getting a Super Bowl even with a roof.

The most they can hope for is the combine, a college bowl game and maybe the draft. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Since1981 said:

it is a competitive disadvantage to have excessive winds for recruitment and fan attendance late season.  Crazy to build without an “enclosure” from wind. 

Architectural engineering and computers have come a long way in the last 50 years, and along with it wind load simulation and analysis. I assure you, even in the "plains of ECC South," winds can drastically be reduced with a properly designed open-air stadium (note I said reduced, not eliminated completely as I'm certain someone will try to make that strawman argument after reading this). It will be a huge difference from that hole-in-the-ground with 2 giant aerofoils (upper decks) that create a vortex inside of a wind tunnel.

I also don't think it's this extreme competitive disadvantage that many fans make it out to be. Winning and a stud QB cures that problem. And if you're a party boy that just wants to flash money and chase women up and down the beach, then head to Miami. Only hard-nosed football players need apply here (you want Antonio Brown or Cole Beasley?)

47 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Buffalo is never getting a Super Bowl even with a roof.

The most they can hope for is the combine, a college bowl game and maybe the draft. 

It's crazy that some people are still using a Superbowl as an impetus for a dome. You nailed it, we're getting a draft and a combine.

Edited by QCity
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I don’t disagree with the “why build two” thing, I was getting on a bit about folks seemingly thinking that they should be paying a corporations bill for the construction of the infrastructure for that corporation (the Pegulas)  to do business, that makes the Pegulas money.  It irritates me that people just love giving their money to billionaires who don’t need the public’s support to build said infrastructure (stadium) to begin with. It’s a scam that folk appear to have fallen for, and they keep falling for it over and over. 

Mr Pegula doesn’t owe you a stadium. His ‘business’ is doing just fine in OP. The stadium is for YOU, not him. He’s sitting in an air conditioned box suite with food brought to his seat. While I know the term billionaire sticks in your craw you simply cannot compare the business model of a professional sports team to other more conventional businesses.

Popping back in this thread after I had a chance to take a deeper dive into the report last night...

One thing I want to clarify is the cost difference between OP and Downtown.

I see people quoting $1.35B for OP and $2.1B for Downtown and that is not an accurate, apples to apples comparison.

Per the report, it would cost $1.35B to build an open air stadium in OP, and about $1.70B to build the same open air stadium downtown. Maybe $1.80B.

The report specifies "up to" $2.1B downtown for all the bells and whistles. The same bells and whistles stadium in OP would be about $1.80B.

So there really isnt a huge $800M difference between the two sites. It's more like $400M.

Plus those infrastructure upgrades downtown need to happen and would benefit everyone beyond just the stadium. Even more reason to go downtown.

And then there is this:

P7JPoyS.jpg

While I'm not expecting any huge economic impact from the downtown stadium, even the study agrees it would generate something, as opposed to keeping it in OP and generating nothing.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.