[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

It is awfully righteous of the NFL to act like they have ever cared about the rights of black players. Colin Kaepernick was all but kicked out of the league. It was publicly OK at that time to not condone his actions. 50%+ did not side with his actions saying he dishonored the flag. The NFL appealed to them. Now the NFL appeals to the advancement of black people and BLM because more than 50% believe in that movement. The NFL is basically a politician with nobody to hold them accountable.   

I imagine, face to face Grudens interactions with black people were fair. Mike Tirico seemed to almost be pleading for his job Sunday night. Gruden had a very positive reputation with his players, black and white.  Still, people sometimes hide the truth in public, at the least, behave differently in private. Some people don't understand the gravity of what they say, others do. I don't think I'm confident I will know exactly where Gruden falls on the scale of prejudice. I certainly do not think he is alone, plenty of executives would likely be found guilty of a putting something in writing that is derogatory about sexuality or race if under the same telescope. Again, no more or less acceptable.

Both the NFL and Gruden really are no better than each other.     

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Cant say it any better than that.   I'm mean was Gruden going to come out next and say he doesn't have a homophobic or misogynistic bone in his body with a straight face?  He was in his 50s using the word f----t. he wasn't some immature high schooler. The part about criticizing the league for taking action to reduce concussions is really irking.   Gruden gets to make tens of millions of dollars while the players are the ones who face an array of long term health consequences.  Jon Gruden isn't getting CTE wearing a headset.    He had no skin in the game.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Gruden should have kept his shyt to himself, but like I said.............

Let's dig up everyone's emails and texts and I can almost guarantee you that you will see racist/sexist crap all over the place.

Gruden pissed off the wrong person in NFL circles so it was ok to tar and feather Gruden.

It shouldn't matter about anyone else right now. This is about Gruden.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I’m with you on this. Let’s deal with what we actually know, when we know it. Nobody is saying Gruden is the only bad actor, but there is no point in casting further aspersions without further evidence. Let’s stay on point. 

43 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's in the public eye right now Pegula's aren't going to kick that hornets nest if they don't have to.

OJ on the Wall of Fame isn’t a great example of the NFL’s hypocrisy. Mention Tyreek, Big Ben, or Joe Mixon, then we have a legitimate conversation. 

57 minutes ago, klos63 said:

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m with you on this. Let’s deal with what we actually know, when we know it. Nobody is saying Gruden is the only bad actor, but there is no point in casting further aspersions without further evidence. Let’s stay on point. 

Does it bother either of you that this is about Gruden  and what we actually know came from an NFL investigation and the info they chose to leak? 

For the record I didn't drop in here to defend Gruden, but since the NFL cracked the door open I think it's fair game to see what else is behind the door besides what they chose to reveal. If there's nothing to hide that shouldn't be an issue.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Does it bother either of you that this is about Gruden  and what we actually know came from an NFL investigation and the info they chose to leak? 

For the record I didn't drop in here to defend Gruden, but since the NFL cracked the door open I think it's fair game to see what else is behind the door besides what they chose to reveal. If there's nothing to hide that shouldn't be an issue.

I’m not looking for more things to bother me. I have enough. If and when more comes out I’ll look at that and decide what to think. I’m not going to hate on the old, rich white guys for no solid reason like some other people. I do not resent successful people just for their success. 

When a Jerry Richardson or Donald Sterling story appears, I expect them to get what they deserve. Yes, the NFL and NBA have booted OWNERS for poor behavior. They are not above scrutiny.  I think it’s ill advised to just want to “OPEN UP EVERYTHING”.  I think it’s also unfair. 

I was clear that I’ve never liked Gruden based on public and personal experience. I have no such dislike for anyone else in the NFL. If we get to open up their lives, maybe we should all do the same. I have nothing to hide, but it just feels wrong without some cause. Given cause, you get what you deserve. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Promote Dr Dre and Snoop Dog though for halftime entertainment

Not the same.  Entertainers get more leeway for artistic expression (I would guess), no different than comedians.  

Bill Burr, who I love, can do a bit about domestic violence and make it funny.  No one with an ordinary job could get away with that.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.