If Allen can't fix this fumbling issue, we aren't going very far

JerseyBills

I haven't seen this discussed much and feel it deserves its own thread. 

2 more fumbles yesterday! 1 turnover,  but this has plauged him threw 3 years and was expecting him to clean this up entering this year. 

Plan and simple, if Allen can't find a resolution to this issue and it continues to impact his game, I don't think we ever make it out of the AFC. 

These fumbles will cost us playoff games in the future

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

There were some issues yesterday that far surpass Allen’s fumble. Like staring down receivers pre snap, not identifying the open receiver only to throw into the double

covered primary, as well as issues controlling arc and velocity on long balls.

Ill trade any of the above issues before I even think about his fumbling. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Poor game plan that over-used the qb draw play. This wasn't fooling anyone on the Steelers all day.. but they kept trying it for some dumb reason. Can't expect Allen to play running back, the whole point of his running is to utilize it in selective circumstances.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Same with throwing 25 yards downfield on 3rd down into double/triple coverage for the huge play when the easy 8-12 yard dumpoff is right there.  He can't control himself.

Yeah the fumbling is an issue that he could clean up if he chooses to concentrate on it.   I'm good with him falling forward on 4th and shorts...or scrambling on broken pass plays.  But i can do without all the called runs for Allen.  Not only is there a high rate of fumbling, but they are placing him in harms way, for what...4-5 yards?!? Often times less.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

There were some issues yesterday that far surpass Allen’s fumble. Like staring down receivers pre snap, not identifying the open receiver only to throw into the double

Ya he was very bad overall and those things are being discussed and I agree on everything you said except I put fumbling right up there. I mean a turnover can completely change a game and if this continues , alot more of his fumbles will be for turnovers

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's still 2 fixable issues he apparently hasn't addressed yet.

1. Ball security 

2. Deep throw trajectory....everything else about his game I love. But he's known about these problems since year 1.

How in the hell with his work ethic he hasnt addressed this?  He had to have addressed it, just wasn't fixed .  Daniel Jones of the NYGiants is a fumble liability, in 28 games he has 30 fumbles,

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Same with throwing 25 yards downfield on 3rd down into double/triple coverage for the huge play when the easy 8-12 yard dumpoff is right there.  He can't control himself.

Yeah the fumbling is an issue that he could clean up if he chooses to concentrate on it.   I'm good with him falling forward on 4th and shorts...or scrambling on broken pass plays.  But i can do without all the called runs for Allen.  Not only is there a high rate of fumbling, but they are placing him in harms way, for what...4-5 yards?!? Often times less.

He controlled himself last year.

Agree 100% on the designed runs for Allen that aren't short yardage.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yes, This.

Also people like to talk about "fumbling issues" as though they're a single cause.  They aren't.

There are three categories of fumbling issues:

1) Allen fumbling as a runner

2) Allen fumbling on a QB-C exchange

3) Allen fumbling on a strip sack

Allen worked pretty diligently on 1) in 2019 after he had 3 fumbles in the Eagles game and 2 in the Washington game, and learned to tuck it into the "Bills claw" and put his second arm over it when anticipating contact or in traffic.  Allen back-slid on this last season and yesterday, and it needs to be re-addressed, Pronto.  Once he has made his decision to run, he can not carry the ball in his hand, like bait, daring the defense to emerge from the astroturf and smack at it.

The QB-C exchange usually gets chalked up to Allen as a fumble but it may not be his fault, and needs to be addressed with both C and QB

The strip sack fumbles are probably never going to be eliminated.  They're pretty much the cost of doing business with a QB who tries to extend the play and avoid the throw-away as much as Allen does.  But they can be reduced by emphasizing "throw it away, live for the next down".

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

2 more fumbles yesterday! 1 turnover,  but this has plauged him threw 3 years and was expecting him to clean this up entering this year. 

Plan and simple, if Allen can't find a resolution to this issue and it continues to impact his game, I don't think we ever make it out of the AFC. 

While I agree somewhat. I do not blame him for the Strip Sack on Watt. 9/10 QBs will have that end in a fumble. Ben had one too just happened to recover it. But ***** if you want to run Josh PROTECT THE DAMN BALL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He's reckless when he runs. 

There is no two ways about that. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I have a bigger issue with his deep ball accuracy than the fumbles 

This.. it's becoming a problem not being able to hit the big plays when they are there to be made.. The problem with going for long drives is our O-line is going to get called for a hold sooner or later with Allen holding the ball..

Every player that is on offense is going to fumble at some point.

Give him the facility ball.....he needs to carry it around the facility and anyone can swipe at it at anytime

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1