AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We tend to forget that even back in our SB years, there were times when we didn’t sell out a home playoff game in January. 

True.  But in saying that, let’s not act like the stadium wasn’t mostly full.  80,000 capacity and  about 75,000  people there.

if stadium is 60-62,000 as proposed that probably won’t be an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GustheDog33 said:

Buffalo will not get a Final Four NFL Combines or NCAA bowl games.  Those event have minimum requirements for things like hotel rooms within 1 hour of the stadium.  Buffalo/WNY will not make that cut.

I want to say we were just short of the super bowl hotel requirements a few years ago and a decent amount of hotels have been built since. Niagara falls has a lot. If they allow Canada there's even more. We should have enough.

NCAA final 4 requires 60k seat stadium and 10k hotel rooms. If Niagara Falls Canada is included theres 16k right there. I can't find recent numbers for US but as of 2014 the city of buffalo had 2400 rooms. The immediate suburbs have a decent amount and NF NY has a lot. Then it's up to an hour drive. So Batavia, ellicottville, Lockport, Dunkirk. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

Sounds like it is going to be OP. I'd have preferred a downtown retractable roof dome that was closer to the border so the Canadians could get there more easily. I think the a big part of future revenue will be from the Canadian fans and the best way to get the fat cats from Toronto to come to the games and spend on expensive seats is to build a state if the art, amenity laden stadium out of the elements. Then they go to restaurants and stay at hotels. If you put a convention center next to it, even better. Sounds like the state is going to pay for a stadium in OP or would pony up the extra money for a dome downtown. Missed opportunity in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Sounds like it is going to be OP. I'd have preferred a downtown retractable roof dome that was closer to the border so the Canadians could get there more easily. I think the a big part of future revenue will be from the Canadian fans and the best way to get the fat cats from Toronto to come to the games and spend on expensive seats is to build a state if the art, amenity laden stadium out of the elements. Then they go to restaurants and stay at hotels. If you put a convention center next to it, even better. Sounds like the state is going to pay for a stadium in OP or would pony up the extra money for a dome downtown. Missed opportunity in my opinion. 

Think small, be small.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So do you want a multipurpose stadium?

I'll accept Orchard Park but you have to have a roof. And put some development around that stadium. Isn't it insane that not a single hotel was built anywhere near the stadium for almost 50 years????

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

They should have helicopter pad for the fat catz to fly in on so they can show off their wealth 🎰🎰

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We laugh at ol' Dunkirk. But with the border being closed on and off, and the resulting loss of thousands of Canadian fans, is building closer to Rochester and Syracuse such a bad idea?

FFS They built entire domed stadiums for $1.2B in the last few years. Why is adding a dome going to cost $1.5B??

It’s not.  There is NO WAY adding a roof doubles the cost.  Ridiculous. 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know.  The guy I responded to said why not just spend the extra $1.5 billion to build a dome.  What do I know about building a stadium?   Ask him?

Everything is so expensive now and wages are higher. Lucas Oil Stadium was a bargain by today’s standards. That cost them <$1 Billion. That would cost 2.5-3 now. Inflation is out of control. All the more reason to get the deal done immediately and build. Dome or not. 

9 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

…that is amazing…. almost nothing anywhere near that stadium. Fairly sad actually. I’d be embarrassed in that town  

Football stadiums are for football... Not to develop a community

Sorry people don't want to hear that but the studies have shown the new stadium will bring as much economic impact as a new Target 

It doesn't change communities 

It be cool if it did but stadiums don't bring that amount of impact

And OP probably doesn't want to develop around it because people will come regardless and vast majority are wny

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Think small, be small.

Almost everyone loves what we have in OP. Why change that? I don’t think it’s small thinking. I think it’s logical. On a side note, I have friends on Sheldon Road that get $$ for parking. It’s cheap compared to the stadium lots and you have a great time. Those folks get to keep getting that extra income instead of immensely wealthy downtown developers. 

48 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

There's a road block to more Canadians attending Bills games. It's called the Peace Bridge. Or, more accurately, the decrepit inadequate Peace Bridge; It's a bottle neck. No "fat cat" from Toronto is going to become a spendy Bills fan when traveling to the games is an imbroglio. 

8 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Almost everyone loves what we have in OP. Why change that? I don’t think it’s small thinking. I think it’s logical. On a side note, I have friends on Sheldon Road that get $$ for parking. It’s cheap compared to the stadium lots and you have a great time. Those folks get to keep getting that extra income instead of immensely wealthy downtown developers. 

I think you proved my point.

8 minutes ago, boater said:

There's a road block to more Canadians attending Bills games. It's called the Peace Bridge. Or, more accurately, the decrepit inadequate Peace Bridge; It's a bottle neck. No "fat cat" from Toronto is going to become a spendy Bills fan when traveling to the games is an imbroglio. 

There are two other bridges you can cross the border with: the Rainbow and Whirlpool bridges. And there's the International Railroad bridge if you want to develop a Canadian football train.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry people don't want to hear that but the studies have shown the new stadium will bring as much economic impact as a new Target 

And OP probably doesn't want to develop around it because people will come regardless and vast majority are wny

These are tropes and don't apply to every situation.  Go to Baltimore on game days and see the impact M&T stadium has on its downtown. Of course if you build a stadium in the middle of nowhere then, yes, impact is minimal.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think you proved my point.

There are two other bridges you can cross the border with: the Rainbow and Whirlpool bridges. And there's the International Railroad bridge if you want to develop a Canadian football train.

These are tropes and don't apply to every situation.  Go to Baltimore on game days and see the impact M&T stadium has on its downtown. Of course if you build a stadium in the middle of nowhere then, yes, impact is minimal.

I bet if you looked at the numbers m&t bank stadium has not brought in that much money that changed the community 

Maybe the community was already on the upswing... And the stadium is just coincidence

Because almost every stadium study says the impact is negligible 

The WNY study compared it to getting a new Target ... If it really was going to be an economic Renaissance I'm sure it would get done Downtown

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

impact is negligible

agree. $1.5B on stadium—there isn’t much community ROI, ever for these. But I am still shocked how there’s literally nothing near OBD. $1.5B economic development is better spent on almost anything else. I do want my taxes spent on this horrific ROI. 

7 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

IMO Carolina was one of the best-weather games of the season.

I admit, I passed on going and donated our tickets.  Nobody in our group was feeling it.  It wasnt necessarily a weather thing.  For me, my kid had a hockey game, the opponent was an abysmal opponent with nothing to get excited for.  The Bills had nothing to gain, but everything to lose.

Man, you are a seriously damaged fan if that's how you feel.......in reality a win put them in position to play for the division lead......one of their 5 best seasons to this point in the last 25 years.

But I agree there are a lot of permanently mind-fxcked Bills fans who have felt that they were promised greatness this year so they really aren't enjoying any of this.  The drought drained all of the blood out of some of you.

But a lot more people didn't show up Sunday because they don't like sitting out in the cold.    Or watching the weather compromised product we've seen too often this season.    It was a pretty lousy attendance day for a team who still has a chance at a SB run..........but that's just like it always is late in the season(even in the 90's) because people don't want to sit out in the cold.  

Wait until the regular season gets extended 2 more weeks with the 18th game and the 2nd bye.    Then the outdoor-playing Bills will have two months of fans making business decisions because they don't want to sit out in the weather.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Those bridges are weak sauce. The fat cats from Toronto want a direct express route, ie: Peace Bridge. They want easy in, easy out. They don't want to meander through crime ridden Niagara Falls and rural Grand Island. Football train? I doubt it.

Unless there is a three lane each way Peace Bridge, the Toronto fat cats aren't coming.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, boater said:

Those bridges are weak sauce. The fat cats from Toronto want a direct express route, ie: Peace Bridge. They want easy in, easy out. They don't want to meander through crime ridden Niagara Falls and rural Grand Island. Football train? I doubt it.

Unless there is a three lane each way Peace Bridge, the Toronto fat cats aren't coming.

uhhhh...okay. Wouldn't fat cats just be driven by limo and not care which way they go?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

…that is amazing…. almost nothing anywhere near that stadium. Fairly sad actually. I’d be embarrassed in that town  

Why is it embarrassing?

Why should businesses build there for 8 games a year? It's economically fool hardy.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

9 minutes ago, boater said:

Why is it embarrassing?

maybe I’m expecting more out of Orchard Park, NY. you’d think there would be something besides a bunch of “metal sheds” out there. ugly, muddy, metal sheds, treeless, pot hole. Oh wait, there’s a Tim Hortons,

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The thing about studies is that they rely on old data.

Things change.

The people who just want another hole in the ground in OP also can't really imagine what the league is going to look like in 20 years when the stadium is approaching it's half-life.......nor do they care because they will likely be unable to enjoy it then.  

The people on this board are definitely not the demographic that will be paying for this stadium and enjoying the entertainment options etc..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But a lot more people didn't show up Sunday because they don't like sitting out in the cold.    Or watching the weather compromised product we've seen too often this season.    It was a pretty lousy attendance day for a team who still has a chance at a SB run..........but that's just like it always is late in the season(even in the 90's) because people don't want to sit out in the cold.  

Wait until the regular season gets extended 2 more weeks with the 18th game and the 2nd bye.    Then the outdoor-playing Bills will have two months of fans making business decisions because they don't want to sit out in the weather.

I keep hearing about all these people who don’t show up to these cold weather games.  There were over 65,000 people who did show up on Sunday and sit out in the cold.  Over 69,000 showed up for the Monday night game a couple weeks ago.  

New stadium will seat between 60,000-62,000 according to reports.  The people who don’t like the cold won’t have to worry about going.  Enjoy the game on your couch.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

maybe I’m expecting more out of Orchard Park, NY. you’d think there would be something besides a bunch of “metal sheds” out there. ugly, muddy, metal sheds, treeless, pot hole. Oh wait, there’s a Tim Hortons,

There’s more in OP now than when the Bills first started playing there; which says it all.  At least there’s that strip mall out there now.  It looks like a suburb.  When I was a kid it seemed more rural than suburban.  

That old Texas Stadium style would appear fix my core issue with Anti-competitive highest wind in NFL

Legit question. does an open air have more maintenance or repair over time?  Water/freeze cycles seem to cause problems with any structure. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

That old Texas Stadium style would appear fix my core issue with Anti-competitive highest wind in NFL

Legit question. does an open air have more maintenance or repair over time?  Water/freeze cycles seem to cause problems with any structure. 

Answer: there are trade offs. The dome requires tremendous annual maintenance and operational costs of a huge mechanical system for heating and cooling not to mention maintaining the roof itself. The outdoor venue requires way way less maintenance.

Edited by SoCal Deek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.