Wow...NFL attempting to make vaccines mandatory for NFL players now...NFLPA not with it

Big Turk

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I could see Beasley retiring.  We know that Star isn't vaccinated... I don't know his reasons, but since he sat out last year I could also see him retiring.

The only other players I think we know for sure aren't vaccinated are Davis and Butler.  I don't think we'd miss Butler much, unless it was BOTH him and Star retiring.  Kinda doubt Davis would retire considering he's a 4th round draft pick making very little money who will be due a big contract in a couple years.

Don't know for sure, but I know Milano had to leave the facility for a day, but I thought I heard he was actually vaccinated.  If he chose to retire that would obviously hurt.

We've heard from Edmunds that he'd rather not talk about his status.  Again, if he's unvaccinated, he's also due a big contract coming up momentarily.

I've posted my reasoning for why I think Allen is already vaccinated.  If the vaccine were mandated and he doesn't have it I just think he'd get it just because of how much he loves football.

Rookies and UDFAs to me are all the more likely to have gotten vaccinated just because of their new status in the league and generally tenuous status on the team.

So.... I could absolutely see Cole and Star retiring if the vaccine were mandated.  I don't really think we lose anyone else.  Just my own speculation.

This post gave me some hope.

Of course I'd hate to lose Cole & Star.  But we'd be fine w/out them - this team is stacked. I'd rather they not be on the team, then be on the team and have to make week to week adjustments based on availabilty.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

playing devils advocate assume JA is anti Covid vaccine like Beasley. You think the Bills would be stoked if it’s mandated and JA walks away and says he’s not getting it?  They just guaranteed him $150 million. 

Just food for thought. 

Josh Allen clearly doesn't want to ruffle any feathers and is a team player, while Beasley is intentionally putting himself out there and giving the Bills bad press.

I'd bet everything I own that if it came down to a mandate, Josh Allen would comply while Beasley would retire... don't see any other outcome.

The league would get rapid compliance if the players were not paid for every day missed due to any or all Covid issues unless vaccinated, wait and see, it’s coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Davis has a lot to prove. Solid is a stretch. He had a few good games thanks to some blown coverages…. Looked really good in the Colts game and disappeared the next week dropping a TD.

Horseshit.

He looked like a galdanged pro the second he stepped on an NFL field and nothing  indicated that was temporary.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So.... I could absolutely see Cole and Star retiring if the vaccine were mandated.  I don't really think we lose anyone else.  Just my own speculation.

Bills would go after money in signing bonuses.  Barry Sanders retired and each year he said he might unretire and paid back portion of bonus so he could get an interest free loan.

I could see NFLPA pushing another welfare payment to players who choose to opt out again.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Davis has a lot to prove. Solid is a stretch. He had a few good games thanks to some blown coverages…. Looked really good in the Colts game and disappeared the next week dropping a TD.

Seven TDs in his rookie season, “most” rookie WRs disappear from time to time, but most don’t score seven TDs, and do the toe drag competitions  like Gabe did, sure his circumstances were favorable, no doubt, but at the same time he took advantage of those circumstances, and isn’t that exactly what a coach wants to see from a rookie wideout? This season shows if he can be a consistent option for his QB, we shall see, won’t we, I think he will do fine filling a similar role as he did this past season, 🤞 

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Disagree. He had a great rookie season. Lol @ blown coverage. Blown coverage's happen to many teams. It's still the WR and offense's job to take advantage of it

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I could see Beasley retiring.  We know that Star isn't vaccinated... I don't know his reasons, but since he sat out last year I could also see him retiring.

The only other players I think we know for sure aren't vaccinated are Davis and Butler.  I don't think we'd miss Butler much, unless it was BOTH him and Star retiring.  Kinda doubt Davis would retire considering he's a 4th round draft pick making very little money who will be due a big contract in a couple years.

Don't know for sure, but I know Milano had to leave the facility for a day, but I thought I heard he was actually vaccinated.  If he chose to retire that would obviously hurt.

We've heard from Edmunds that he'd rather not talk about his status.  Again, if he's unvaccinated, he's also due a big contract coming up momentarily.

I've posted my reasoning for why I think Allen is already vaccinated.  If the vaccine were mandated and he doesn't have it I just think he'd get it just because of how much he loves football.

Rookies and UDFAs to me are all the more likely to have gotten vaccinated just because of their new status in the league and generally tenuous status on the team.

I don’t know if Milano is vaccinated but I do know that Beane said they sent home guys who were vaccinated and unvaccinated who they thought had contact with the trainer just in case. And the league determined Milano was fine to return. So it’s certainly possible that he is.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I could see NFLPA pushing another welfare payment to players who choose to opt out again.

There was an opt-out deadline in July but with no payment this time unless documented elevated risk.

That ship has Sailed.

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

I’m pretty sure the NFLPA has a say in this.

Yes.  People, we are twice around the track while the Hosses are still in the barn and the jockeys are snoozing.

NFL proposed it.  It might happen, but the NFLPA fought against it before and will fight against it again (IMO) unless they are offered GIANT concessions otherwise.

The current NFL protocols with testing vaccinated players every 14 days are probably NOT sufficient for the current situation.  The NFL did a great job of adaptive change last season (IMO) - adding a gameday test, restricting coaches in booths and requiring masks and barriers, etc.  So I am cautiously optimistic that they will adapt this year as well, just not sure they'll do it before there are actual problems.

NFLPA wants daily testing for all.  NFL has countered 1x/week.  Is that enough?  I don't know.  Maybe they'll meet at 2x/week.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There was an opt-out deadline in July but with no payment this time unless documented elevated risk.

That ship has Sailed.

If the rules change I could see NFLPA pushes for this again.

Especially if they agree to full vaccination in some format.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Is it even possible to force vaccination 3 weeks from week 1? Like logistically

Feel like that makes it way too rushed this late in the ball game

?? the sooner the players get it the sooner they are protected.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

NFL can kick you out of league for violating personnel conduct policy. They are going to make examples and cancel lots of players. I respect personal choice, but this is going to upend 2021 season and as McD said jeopardize everyone’s livelihood.

9 hours ago, Beast said:

I’m pretty sure the NFLPA has a say in this.

So do the owners with the contacts they do and don’t offer…, 

19 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So do the owners with the contacts they do and don’t offer…, 

There is a thing called collusion that the owners don’t want to mess with.

The NFL just dished out a large sum to Kaepernick if you don’t remember.

Edited by Beast

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

That's One! 

Per NFL rules, if McKenzie had a positive RT-PCR test for Covid at some point (like off-season), he counts as fully vaccinated 2 weeks from now.

Otherwise, he counts as fully vaccinated 5 weeks from now, 2 weeks after he gets his 2nd shot

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

NFL can kick you out of league for violating personnel conduct policy. They are going to make examples and cancel lots of players. I respect personal choice, but this is going to upend 2021 season and as McD said jeopardize everyone’s livelihood.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think the NFL is going to do this.  Not just for being unvaccinated.  After agreeing with the NFLPA to make it voluntary with different protocols, that would be a bad look.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's One! 

Per NFL rules, if McKenzie had a positive RT-PCR test for Covid at some point (like off-season), he counts as fully vaccinated 2 weeks from now.

Otherwise, he counts as fully vaccinated 5 weeks from now, 2 weeks after he gets his 2nd shot

I could be wrong, but I really don't think the NFL is going to do this.  Not just for being unvaccinated.  After agreeing with the NFLPA to make it voluntary with different protocols, that would be a bad look.

Dying and infecting others is a bad look. Every day more and more employers are mandating vaccination.

That said, the NFL and NFLPA should be proud the players vaccination rate is so high. For the age and racial demographic their vaccination rate is over 2X the general public. That is too be celebrated.  

3 hours ago, Beast said:

There is a thing called collusion that the owners don’t want to mess with.

The NFL just dished out a large sum to Kaepernick if you don’t remember.

For the owners owner that was a drop in the bucket, that and they can legally say we won’t hire you or we will let you go if you don’t get vaccinated, just like thousands of others employers are doing all over America 🇺🇸, face it, if you hit people in the pocket book they will  get vaccinated, it’s just the truth of the matter, it’s happening right now, and more and more  pretty much everywhere in this country, 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Edited by Don Otreply

11 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Why not?  Players simply continue with the alternative protocols until the vaccines become fully active.

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

For the owners owner that was a drop in the bucket, that and they can legally say we won’t hire you or we will let you go if you don’t get vaccinated, just like thousands of others employers are doing all over America 🇺🇸, face it, if you hit people in the pocket book they will  get vaccinated, it’s just the truth of the matter, it’s happening right now, and more and more  pretty much everywhere in this country, 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

One more time, if there is a collective bargaining agreement and a certified union, I don't believe the employer can unilaterally change the rules.

So the NFL/NFLPA bargained a set of protocols, they both have to agree on a change.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One more time, if there is a collective bargaining agreement and a certified union, I don't believe the employer can unilaterally change the rules.

So the NFL/NFLPA bargained a set of protocols, they both have to agree on a change.

Sure, for the present that is true…, 

Taking the politics out of the situation, the bottom line is that unvaccinated puts teams at a disadvantage.  That’s just a fact and what the NFL and NFLPA agreed upon.  

Players don’t have to like it, but that’s how it is and everyone knows it.   If you train you’re whole life to make it to a Super Bowl why not give yourself every advantage?

• Thank you (+1) 1