DeSantis For President in 2024?

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

He didn't ban the Miami Herald yet and I didn't say he did, I was asking about that though because it can be a slippery slope with these power hungry guys. In fact another bills fan suggested to me that he SHOULD do that, so it seems like at least some people would support it. Scary I know

So you admit he has not banned anything but you make a broad comment that he will? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

uhh read my post again. Jeez that florida edu-ma-cation really is rough. 

what is going on anyway? why are there so many southern cavemen in Bills mafia? I dont understand it, Miami Dolphins should be your team in Orlando

thats a strange strawman.

Florida public schools got NY beat on quite a few levels. ours only lead in cost pers student and drop out rate.

Who knows. you notice the ones you agree with on here, dont live in this state?  does that make their opinion any less valid? or was that some attempt to insult that he lives in sunny florida while we are up in grey NY?

And why would anyone cheer the fish, no matter where they live.

and people all over love the bills, cause they the bills.

Go bills

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

what is going on anyway? why are there so many southern cavemen in Bills mafia? I dont understand it, Miami Dolphins should be your team in Orlando

Because New Yorkers keep leaving the state in droves for the South.  

Not even being snarky … that’s literally the answer. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

I tried it for a bit myself, but I am happy to be back. I found southerners to be far less intellectual, a little lazy, naive, and passive aggressive. The "Southern Hospitality" thing is definitely a myth.

yeah, better weather but you can enjoy that on vacation. I would never raise my kids down there

Wait till your done with college.  

The facts are NY is third on the list in net domestic migration out of the state. only behind California and Illinois.  and has been bleeding taxpayers for a while now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I tried it for a bit myself, but I am happy to be back. I found southerners to be far less intellectual, a little lazy, naive, and passive aggressive. The "Southern Hospitality" thing is definitely a myth.

yeah, better weather but you can enjoy that on vacation. I would never raise my kids down there

It's actually real once you break through.  But that can take a while.  The south is very insular, even the progressive areas altho less so.

You do know the difference between yankees and damn yankees right?

but like anywhere, you find your group and it's cool.   Some of the "other" groups aren't so cool but now that I'm out of the public sector we don't cross paths that much.  Where I live has 4 equal seasons.  avg about 10 inches of snow a year. No swamps.  mild humidity.  Best of all worlds imo.  And after many years here, almost all of our friends are southerners and we consider ourselves as such.

Edited by redtail hawk

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I was born in Syracuse, grew up on Long Island .. am in my mid 30’s and have been down south for about 8 years now. 

I’m back and forth between Atlanta and South Carolina.  

It’s a slower pace, people are generally nicer, but yes.. the “southern hospitality” shtick is definitely encompassing some passive aggressiveness… ie bless your heart..

Much better weather, and less expensive than up north .. although metro Atlanta and places like Greenville and Charleston are not, at all, inexpensive. 

Tons of Bills fans in those areas. 

Not really sure how you quantify intellectual value.  Plenty of ignorant, dumb people, on both sides of the aisle, in NY and down south.   In fact, Long Island is far more racist and segregated than what I’ve witnessed down South (granted, I’m typically in/around cities) but I also never spent time in rural areas of NY either.  Rarely, did I ever, see an interracial couple on Long Island … you see it quite often down here. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I found southerners to be far less intellectual, a little lazy, naive, and passive aggressive.

Feel obligated to comment on this remark.  It depends greatly on where you are and who you are with.  I go to a "bookclub" once a week in a guys barn, with a big potbelly stove and lawn chairs.  We drink bourbon and smoke cigars.  Talk about cars, dogs, fishing, hunting , farm equipment and very rarely, a book.  The group members are all highly educated with degrees mostly from prestigious southern universities and sharp as tacks.  Great humor...I almost always leave smiling and laughing.  So be careful painting with too broad a brush.  I'm sure I could find other barn parties that aren't as nice but I'm not gonna look.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Yeah if I had to pick between residence in Santos, MTG's or Gaetz district I'd probably choose poisoning myself.

I made this exact same decision for my family in 1989, after the election of Nancy Pelosi.

My wife and I dated there and had two of our three kids born there.

I knew I could never have them raised in that area; in those school systems with what was going on, and listening to her.

Sold the house and moved.

One of the three best decisions I've ever made.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I made this exact same decision for my family in 1989, after the election of Nancy Pelosi.

My wife and I dated there and had two of our three kids born there.

I knew I could never have them raised in that area; in those school systems with what was going on, and listening to her.

Sold the house and moved.

One of the three best decisions I've ever made.

I have to admit that Californians are moving into our area with some frequency.  I was talking to a guy who owns some construction supply stores last night.  He told me a banker asked him how many buyers used mortgages 25 years ago to finance their homes.  He said nearly 100%.  Now it's almost 100% cash since the buyers are coming from much more expensive markets.

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I have to admit that Californians are moving into our area with some frequency.  I was talking to a guy who owns some construction supply stores last night.  He told me a banker asked him how many buyers used mortgages 25 years ago to finance their homes.  He said nearly 100%.  Now it's almost 100% cash since the buyers are coming from much more expensive markets.

They have really screwed the place up, but there are far more informed people here than I on this, including people who live and have lived there.

I never thought I'd leave the San Francisco Bay Area.

Loved it, but it got too bizarre, and although I could get around it, I didn't want to raise kids in the area.

The final straw for me, and mind you this was in '87.

The Pope was going to visit, and some lunatic cross dresser demanded that he/she whatever, get an audience with him to demand legitimate recognition of this group. The request was denied, so this individual got full, legitimate treatment by the local press and politicians, while completely dressed in bizarre drag and makeup.

That was it for me.

My wife and I agreed we couldn't raise our kids there.

Now it's trashed. Such a shame for one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I've been around a bit.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

You have not stated what he banned despite being asked about it a couple times, so I ask again what has he banned?

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

It’s also interesting to see which states are being affected, politically, by these migration patterns.  

Georgia, Arizona, Florida and Ohio, to me, seem to be the most interesting.  

Georgia, a reliably red state, is now purple.  Same with Arizona.  

Ohio, a reliable swing state, is now solidly red.  Florida is now ruby red.  

Even with that… the bigger point the change from two red states to purple. 

Republicans now having to devote so many resources in Georgia and Arizona is not ideal, given they need to find a way to snag one of PA, WI or MI from time to time. 

It’s why MAGA is so obviously short sighted when they cheer Trump taking shots at the the WI R SC nominee that lost as he was outspent 4 to 1… as if that won’t play a part in the ‘24 Presidential election. 

DeSantis knows how to win.  Knows how to play the game.  In essence, he likely wins GA and AZ and understands what it takes in the Rust Belt/Upper Midwest states.   

Trump is out here taking meetings with Mike Lindell about the integrity of not ballot harvesting.  Nevermind the fact he’s not liked in Georgia or Arizona.  DeSantis can have Kemp deliver GA … Trump has a blood feud with one of the most popular Governors in a state he needs. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

he has banned a lot of books in schools. Does your news in Florida cover it? I am not a librarian, look it up yourself

You made a claim and then turned it into you need me to verify it for you, how sad and pathetic. But let me ask you a question, is not allowing people to do something at work a ban? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2023 at 7:01 PM, SUNY_amherst said:

Only a re.tard would say a governor should shut down a newspaper just cause they wrote a mean article about him

you are an anti-American re.tard

And no, it’s not suni - Shia. Some, not you, fought that battle so re.tards like you could still have an opinion.

Idk why you want to bring that stuff over here  … oh actually I do…. cause you are a re.tard 

Calling someone a ###### (and even screwing with the spelling to fool spell check) is ableist and disgusting.  And @redtail hawk gave him a Lombardi Trophy for it.  Touchy feely Libs at work. 

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Calling someone a ###### (and even screwing with the spelling to fool spell check) is ableist and disgusting.  And @redtail hawk gave him a Lombardi Trophy for it.  Touchy feely Libs at work. 

Claret jugs to you.

10 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Even Meatball's boyfriend thinks he sucks

Ron DeSantis is a young man who is not doing well against me in the polls, to put it mildly,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. “I believe that if he decides to run for President, which will only hurt and somewhat divide the Republican Party, he will lose the cherished and massive MAGA vote, and never be able to successfully run for office again.”

Didn't donnie come up with "meatball".  Gotta admit he has some catchy stuff...

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

In other words, you don't know.

Oh, he knows. 

They all know that it’s graphic, sexual content marketed to children that’s the main target of this. 

They just think that 2nd graders should see depictions of blowjobs in their school libraries. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Oh, he knows. 

They all know that it’s graphic, sexual content marketed to children that’s the main target of this. 

They just think that 2nd graders should see depictions of blowjobs in their school libraries. 

There's definitely a happy medium between your inaccurate description and Michelangelo's David.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

"He will be an authoritarian psycho to advance unpopular policies and make people miserable and angry" is a hell of a campaign slogan. 

What are you afraid of?  Maybe President DeSantis signs 15 Presidential proclamations on the first day?  

White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters that President Biden has signed 15 executive actions, part of a flurry of steps he plans to take in the coming days to address his top policy priorities — and to roll back some of former President Donald Trump's initiatives.

https://www.npr.org/sections/inauguration-day-live-updates/2021/01/20/958630029/heres-what-biden-plans-to-do-in-his-1st-day-as-president

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

"He will be an authoritarian psycho to advance unpopular policies and make people miserable and angry" is a hell of a campaign slogan. 

That sounds like a perfect description of the Democrat party…. 

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Except Dem policies are approved by a majority of the country. It’s the GOP standing in the way. 

According g to whom ? Whose policies during Covid were more restrictive or “

authoritarian ? “ I’d venture that it wasn’t DeSantis.  Do you majority approve of expensive energy and high inflation? Of forcing girls to compete vs boys ? Majorities are not exactly immune from supporting bad ideas anyway. Just look at California as an example of that. Fortunately that fact is reflected in how we elect our President. 

39 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

According g to whom ? Whose policies during Covid were more restrictive or “

authoritarian ? “ I’d venture that it wasn’t DeSantis.  Do you majority approve of expensive energy and high inflation? Of forcing girls to compete vs boys ? Majorities are not exactly immune from supporting bad ideas anyway. Just look at California as an example of that. Fortunately that fact is reflected in how we elect our President. 

Just to pick one of your "points," 69% of Americans want us to become carbon neutral by 2050. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2022/03/01/americans-largely-favor-u-s-taking-steps-to-become-carbon-neutral-by-2050/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Just to pick one of your "points," 69% of Americans want us to become carbon neutral by 2050. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2022/03/01/americans-largely-favor-u-s-taking-steps-to-become-carbon-neutral-by-2050/

The vast majority of Americans don't even know what that means much less understand the cost. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I find that number highly questionable. Even if close to accurate, most answering in the affirmative would not be willing to make the lifestyle sacrifices it would take to achieve it. Sure, when phrased as a sunshine and rainbows idealistic question many would say yes. That’s the easy part. All that aside it’s probably not a realistic time frame to make it happen. 

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

The vast majority of Americans don't even know what that means much less understand the cost. 

"69% of U.S. adults prioritize developing alternative energy sources, such as wind and solar, over expanding the production of oil, coal and natural gas."

"A 72% majority says the federal government should encourage the production of wind and solar power. About half (51%) say it should encourage the use of electric vehicles, while about a third say it should encourage the production of nuclear power (35%) and oil and gas drilling (33%). Fewer (20%) say the federal government should encourage coal mining, with the remainder saying that the government should either discourage coal mining or do neither of these."

This clear enough? 

Edited by Roundybout

13 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

"69% of U.S. adults prioritize developing alternative energy sources, such as wind and solar, over expanding the production of oil, coal and natural gas."

"A 72% majority says the federal government should encourage the production of wind and solar power. About half (51%) say it should encourage the use of electric vehicles, while about a third say it should encourage the production of nuclear power (35%) and oil and gas drilling (33%). Fewer (20%) say the federal government should encourage coal mining, with the remainder saying that the government should either discourage coal mining or do neither of these."

This clear enough? 

Encouraging wind and solar power is a far cry from trying to make sure we are "carbon neutral". I promote fully renewable energy but I also understand carbon neutral is not happening in my lifetime, most likely not within 100 years, I want to make sure there are no traffic deaths but the cost to make that happen is unreasonable.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

This clear enough? 

I think everyone wants to transition away from fossil fuels.  The question is whether people are willing to go broke doing it and suffer through the inconveniences until we are ready to do it, which isn't even close to now.

• Thank you (+1) 1