DeSantis For President in 2024?

11 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

contraception ban

These idiots don’t realize that Mifepristone is a form of contraception and the Trump judge just tried to ban it.

This **will** come back to haunt you 

Edited by BillStime

55 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

welcome to the United States of America.

Every major employer doesn’t pay their fair share of taxes and gets involved in politics lol

Most large corporations until recently stayed out of straight political fights, like Jordan said "Republican  buy shoes also". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

These idiots don’t realize that Mifepristone is a form of contraception and the Trump judge just tried to ban it.

This **will** come back to haunt you 

It included a provision to override the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. It was a gotcha bill. It also allows non FDA approved birth control. The very idea that contraception is or should be a legislated right is ridicuous.

The right of free speech

The right to bear arms

The right to due process

The right to trial by jury

The right to contraception

We've gone nuts

Edited by Pokebball

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Most large corporations until recently stayed out of straight political fights, like Jordan said "Republican  buy shoes also". 

Payless gets most of their shoes from China. Trump gets most of his swag there too.  A guy running for local office runs a MAGA store.  I asked him how much of his stuff was made in USA.  To his credit, he said "very little".  Which is fine if you're not chanting "buy American".  Which we should all try to do.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Do you have a constitutional right for your erectile dysfunction? Let the FDS deal with this.

We all have a constitutional right to the pursuit of happiness.  Unless I'm mistaken, many people get happiness from sex but...they don't always want to produce babies.  And many of them, society doesn't want to.  Therefore, contraception is a constitutional right.  That and because contraception has been practiced as long as humans have existed.  Blow up dolls are a relatively new invention and from what I've heard, unsatisfactory.  What's your opinion?  Seriously. do you want unwanted babies everywhere from every instinct induced act?  What a mess... but if you just wanna say no, that's great.  I guess.. Leave everyone who doesn't alone (or with someone else who disagrees with you).

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

We all have a constitutional right to the pursuit of happiness.  Unless I'm mistaken, many people get happiness from sex but...they don't always want to produce babies.  And many of them, society doesn't want to.  Therefore, contraception is a constitutional right.  That and because contraception has been practiced as long as humans have existed.  Blow up dolls are a relatively new invention and from what I've heard, unsatisfactory.  What's your opinion?  Seriously. do you want unwanted babies everywhere from every instinct induced act?  What a mess... but if you just wanna say no, that's great.  I guess..

Your argument applies to everything. Everything. 

Fundamental rights fellas!

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

What does the constitution say about contraception? 

Well, Thomas Jefferson said a lot by his progeny.  But I don't find that argument convincing.  From what I've read about some of them, neither did they.  Two consenting adults are an entirely different matter.

Edited by redtail hawk

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

as usual, nebulous argument.  could be interpreted a thousand ways.  splain...

pursuit of happiness...

I want fishing protected

I want camping protected

I want youth baseball protected

I want apple pie protected

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

pursuit of happiness...

I want fishing protected

I want camping protected

me too.  And sex...why is what you want more important than what I (and what the vast majority of humans) want?  you wanna be a monk?  No one is stopping you.  Perhaps you've already decided to be celibate.  Good for you!  I guess...

Edited by redtail hawk

13 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

pursuit of happiness...

I want fishing protected

I want camping protected

A line of Supreme Court cases establishes that the U.S. Constitution no guarantees a person's ability to make certain decisions in matters related to procreation, child rearing, contraception, marriage (including interracial marriage and same-sex marriage), and consensual sexual activity.

Although abortion is no longer protected by the Constitution, contraception is. Access to contraception was first recognized as a constitutional right in Griswold v. Connecticut in 1965; extended to unmarried couples in Eisenstadt v. Bairdin 1972; and reached people under the age of 16 in Carey v. Population Services International in 1977.

link

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

A line of Supreme Court cases establishes that the U.S. Constitution no guarantees a person's ability to make certain decisions in matters related to procreation, child rearing, contraception, marriage (including interracial marriage and same-sex marriage), and consensual sexual activity.

Although abortion is no longer protected by the Constitution, contraception is. Access to contraception was first recognized as a constitutional right in Griswold v. Connecticut in 1965; extended to unmarried couples in Eisenstadt v. Bairdin 1972; and reached people under the age of 16 in Carey v. Population Services International in 1977.

link

In practical terms, it has been extended to married and unmarried couples for centuries.  Bastards have always been low on the social acceptance scale.  Mistresses, not so much...

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, ChiGoose said:

Trump just has to call DeSantis a dumb nickname akin to Little Marco and it’ll be over. 

Honestly, even something as dumb as Ron “PeePee PooPoo Pants” DeSantis should do. The braindead masses will laugh it up and turn on DeSantis in a second. 

8 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

well that’s false lol

pepsi flew Nixon around while Coke flew Kennedy… 

(but neither president tried to pick a fight with the cola rival, because this is America)

business and politics have been intermingled since this great nation was started. 

meatball is a petty, emotional man and bad for his state/country

Pepsi flew Nixon around and Coke flew Kennedy? Now you just making stuff up so you don't look stupid.

14 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

We all have a constitutional right to the pursuit of happiness.  Unless I'm mistaken, many people get happiness from sex but...they don't always want to produce babies.  And many of them, society doesn't want to.  Therefore, contraception is a constitutional right.  That and because contraception has been practiced as long as humans have existed.  Blow up dolls are a relatively new invention and from what I've heard, unsatisfactory.  What's your opinion?  Seriously. do you want unwanted babies everywhere from every instinct induced act?  What a mess... but if you just wanna say no, that's great.  I guess.. Leave everyone who doesn't alone (or with someone else who disagrees with you).

This is so stupid, by this logic, I have the right to have move into any house I want because it makes me happy. 

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

I understand you live in Florida where books are banned but elsewhere we have studied American history

Show me anything's that supports your comment?

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is so stupid, by this logic, I have the right to have move into any house I want because it makes me happy. 

Show me anything's that supports your comment?

He signed a six week abortion ban, that's not gonna fly with the national electorate 

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Why are you deflecting?

Dude, I’m trying to understand.

What am I deflecting from?  

Were you aware of who Trump was a donor for?   Who he supported politically?  

Anyway what were you saying?

I try to stay out of the abortion issue, because I understand both sides perspectives.  The part that chaps me is neither sides wants to talk about the responsibilities that go along with their positions.  The left doesn't want to discuss personal responsibility for their actions, which resulted in the unwanted pregnancies.  The right won't talk about home abortions, and millions of unwanted children.  

• Agree 1

Just now, daz28 said:

I try to stay out of the abortion issue, because I understand both sides perspectives.  The part that chaps me is neither sides wants to talk about the responsibilities that go along with their positions.  The left doesn't want to discuss personal responsibility for their actions, which resulted in the unwanted pregnancies.  The right won't talk about home abortions, and millions of unwanted children.  

Most of the people on the left I’ve talked to actively talk about better sex education and better access to contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I bet that they would also support programs to help people afford kids so that don’t make the decision to abort based on finances (one of the top drivers of elective abortions).

If the Right actually wanted to reduce unwanted pregnancies while increasing birth rates and personal freedom, a pro-natalist agenda combined with access to contraception would get a strong amount of support from the left. 

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Dude, I’m trying to understand.

What am I deflecting from?  

Were you aware of who Trump was a donor for?   Who he supported politically?  

Anyway what were you saying?

What does that have to do with your boy DeSantis hanging out with pedophiles?

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Most of the people on the left I’ve talked to actively talk about better sex education and better access to contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I bet that they would also support programs to help people afford kids so that don’t make the decision to abort based on finances (one of the top drivers of elective abortions).

If the Right actually wanted to reduce unwanted pregnancies while increasing birth rates and personal freedom, a pro-natalist agenda combined with access to contraception would get a strong amount of support from the left. 

Not buying the contraceptives thing, because they're readily available, and cheap compared to most entertainment.  No on education, because usually both parents have been preaching to use it since puberty.  It's a lack of personal responsibility plain and simple.  

The government already has TONS of programs, tax breaks, and social services dedicated to families.  

I don't think the right's major issue is increasing births, I think it's reducing abortions.  I'm not going to discuss the issue of population.

44 minutes ago, daz28 said:

My point is that if they're going to advocate one way or the other, they should be responsible enough to address the problems with their positions.  

Edited by daz28
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

What does that have to do with your boy DeSantis hanging out with pedophiles?

Hmmm…..they hang out?

Probably as much as it does your people hanging out with and taking money from a criminal and insurrectionist.   

1 hour ago, daz28 said:

Because the right thinks it is just an issue for women; not the men who are 50% responsible for EVERY pregnancy.

Edited by BillStime
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, daz28 said:

No on education, because usually both parents have been preaching to use it since puberty.  It's a lack of personal responsibility plain and simple.  

Access to Contraception

"Lack of knowledge, misperceptions, and exaggerated concerns about the safety of contraceptive methods are major barriers to contraceptive use. There has been a focus on abstinence-only sexuality education for young people in the United States despite research demonstrating its ineffectiveness in increasing age of sexual debut and decreasing number of partners and other risky behavior 9 10. In contrast, data suggest the effectiveness of comprehensive sexuality education in achieving these outcomes 10. The emphasis on abstinence-only education may have in part led to widespread misperceptions of contraceptive effectiveness, mechanisms of action, and safety that can have an effect on contraceptive use and method selection 11. For example, many individuals have unfounded concerns that oral contraceptives are linked to major health problems or that IUDs carry a high risk of infection 12 13. Many individuals also incorrectly believe certain types of contraception to be abortifacients 14. None of the FDA-approved contraceptive methods are abortifacients because they do not interfere with a pregnancy and are not effective after a fertilized egg has implanted successfully in the uterus 15.

Health care providers also may have knowledge deficits that can hamper their ability to offer appropriate contraceptive methods to their patients. For example, many clinicians are uncertain about the risks and benefits of IUDs and lack knowledge about correct patient selection and contraindications 16 17 18. Improving health care provider and patient knowledge about contraceptive methods would improve access and allow for safer use."

When I was younger, my mom, a well educated person with multiple degrees, told me that if I was sexually active, I should use two condoms just to be safe. This actually makes it *less* safe, but seems to match with the data that there is a problem with lack of knowledge around contraceptives and safe sex.

I'm also not going to pretend we live in a fantasy world. People are going to have sex. Teens are going to have sex. There is nothing you, I, nor the government can do to stop that from happening. So the question is: are you going to empower them with the tools to do it safely, or are you going to pretend that it isn't happening and then complain about the obvious consequences?

Edited by ChiGoose

32 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Access to Contraception

"Lack of knowledge, misperceptions, and exaggerated concerns about the safety of contraceptive methods are major barriers to contraceptive use. There has been a focus on abstinence-only sexuality education for young people in the United States despite research demonstrating its ineffectiveness in increasing age of sexual debut and decreasing number of partners and other risky behavior 9 10. In contrast, data suggest the effectiveness of comprehensive sexuality education in achieving these outcomes 10. The emphasis on abstinence-only education may have in part led to widespread misperceptions of contraceptive effectiveness, mechanisms of action, and safety that can have an effect on contraceptive use and method selection 11. For example, many individuals have unfounded concerns that oral contraceptives are linked to major health problems or that IUDs carry a high risk of infection 12 13. Many individuals also incorrectly believe certain types of contraception to be abortifacients 14. None of the FDA-approved contraceptive methods are abortifacients because they do not interfere with a pregnancy and are not effective after a fertilized egg has implanted successfully in the uterus 15.

Health care providers also may have knowledge deficits that can hamper their ability to offer appropriate contraceptive methods to their patients. For example, many clinicians are uncertain about the risks and benefits of IUDs and lack knowledge about correct patient selection and contraindications 16 17 18. Improving health care provider and patient knowledge about contraceptive methods would improve access and allow for safer use."

When I was younger, my mom, a well educated person with multiple degrees, told me that if I was sexually active, I should use two condoms just to be safe. This actually makes it *less* safe, but seems to match with the data that there is a problem with lack of knowledge around contraceptives and safe sex.

I'm also not going to pretend we live in a fantasy world. People are going to have sex. Teens are going to have sex. There is nothing you, I, nor the government can do to stop that from happening. So the question is: are you going to empower them with the tools to do it safely, or are you going to pretend that it isn't happening and then complain about the obvious consequences?

I'm arguing that the tools are already there ready to be utilized, but people make a simple choice not to use them.  It's textbook, basic lack of responsibility.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'm arguing that the tools are already there ready to be utilized, but people make a simple choice not to use them.  It's textbook, basic lack of responsibility.  

If the tools are there, and people aren't utilizing them, and you're unhappy with that, then you should probably change something.