Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

largely a semantic distinction you’re making here but I think I get what you’re saying. 

The thread is about this news though and it’s significance to the league, not about a broader statement on whether you or anyone else “don’t care if a person is gay, straight or somewhere in between.” So saying “who cares” or “WGAF” seems more of a dismissal of the story or a non-opinion. It certainly isn’t valuable or constructive in any way.

Completely agree.  I do feel like most of the people that are saying "who cares" are likely pointing to the fact that he's gay and not the story itself.

Regarding the topic, you're right.  It is a culture change that the NFL now has to face along with players, coaches, fans, etc.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Interesting.

He always came off as kinda an over-aggressive jackass thinking back the the Cleveland Browns Hard Knocks.

Although, there is no way of telling whether that was due to him overcompensating for his secret... or if he is just a jackass regardless. It's not like Ryan Nassib was Mr Personality or well-liked either.

Sexual orientation and attitude have no connection.

You can be a hard ass, beer drinking, truck driving, gun shooting, bar fighting son of a gun and still be gay. 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Sexual orientation and attitude have no connection.

You can be a hard ass, beer drinking, truck driving, gun shooting, bar fighting son of a gun and still be gay. 

No duh. But when you have a secret you are worried about getting out, and think that secret could change how others think of you in the hyper-masculine setting of the NFL... THAT can affect your attitude.

That's why I said I wonder if he was acting like a jerk because he was overcompensating for a secret, or if he is just normally a jackass.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No duh. But when you have a secret you are worried about getting out, and think that secret could change how others think of you in the hyper-masculine setting of the NFL... THAT can affect your attitude.

That's why I said I wonder if he was acting like a jerk because he was overcompensating for a secret, or if he is just normally a jackass.

Ahhh my bad! Gotcha now

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Simon said:

No data for that could possibly exist. But of the 8-10 gay men I know, not a single one of them has ever showed the slightest interest in any sport.

I don't think it's pejorative to suggest that gay men are less interested in football or any other sport. It just seems like a general observation that holds up more often than not.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a wild generalisation.

I brought my gay Pats* fan friend the to first TBDAHOT I ever attended.  He loves all sports.

On a related, but not related to Simon's post/Gunner's response ....

Due to a miscommunication on the hotel's part, we also shared a bed for two nights.

It didn't bother either of us and I was never worried about him "making a move."

Most likely because I'm not an ignorant moron.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

why did he even have to "come out" anyway, his personal life is his business, seems more like unnecessary theater to me.  you're gay, whoop-de-frickin-dooo, so are millions of other Americans.

3 hours ago, DasNootz said:

I'm sorry, I missed your outrage on Sunday when millions of people posted "happy Fathers' Day" messages on social media.  I also missed it when the Bills community has wished Jim Kelly, Pinto Ron and Pancho Billa well wishes for their health.  That was all their personal life and their business - unnecessary theater.

2 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Ahh yes, both very relatable to sexual orientation  LOL.  Nice try.

So I'm clear what Homey's rules are: You're fine with some personal life being public business?  We know that player's health is ok with you.  What about crimes they've been accused and/or convicted of?  What about their charitable work?  Is religion too taboo? How about whether or not they have been or plan to be vaccinated? What is it about his sexual orientation that makes you uncomfortable?

Edited by DasNootz
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ahhh my bad! Gotcha now

All good, and your point is a good one, and should probably be said here. Just wasn't what I was saying.

15 hours ago, Simon said:

No data for that could possibly exist. But of the 8-10 gay men I know, not a single one of them has ever showed the slightest interest in any sport.

I don't think it's pejorative to suggest that gay men are less interested in football or any other sport. It just seems like a general observation that holds up more often than not.

You need to know more gay men, or make more friends with Rugby players.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had a guy on my HS football team that came out.  None of us were surprised because during a beach trip, when everyone was making sand castles, he made a giant penis.  This was in the 90's and none of us really cared.  I'm sure the Raiders lockerroom will be cool with it and having no issues.

On your high school beach trip you made sand castles?  How many games did you win?

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had a guy on my HS football team that came out.  None of us were surprised because during a beach trip, when everyone was making sand castles, he made a giant penis.  This was in the 90's and none of us really cared.  I'm sure the Raiders lockerroom will be cool with it and having no issues.

This is a funny story… football team and sand castles? 

yeah I agree this generation is very open and tolerant to people as individuals. Good evolution.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

On your high school beach trip you made sand castles?  How many games did you win?

They weren't good sand castles.  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This is a funny story… football team and sand castles? 

It wasn't a football trip.  It was a spring break trip and things got crazy.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Gun said:

Why do people need to come out? They need to just live their lives and do what they do and if people find out then people find out, who cares.

4 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

why did he even have to "come out" anyway, his personal life is his business, seems more like unnecessary theater to me.  you're gay, whoop-de-frickin-dooo, so are millions of other Americans.

I think this might be relevant to the discussion:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/kordell-stewart-nfl-football-pittsburgh-steelers

1) 20 years ago is not so long ago in terms of generational change of attitudes

2) In this instance, the irony is that a hetero man was being asked to defend himself against rumors that he was gay, and it caused issues for him

The point is, it's not so long ago that if a gay man was "living his life and doing what he does" and people found out, there's always the chance he was gonna be dealing with some version of this, or worse

If Carl Nassib just started raising money for the Trevor Foundation, instead of "coming out" to his teammates and coaches and now the NFL and everybody, the chances are he could be dealing with some crap as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

So I'm clear what Homey's rules are: You're fine with some personal life being public business?  We know that player's health is ok with you.  What about crimes they've been accused and/or convicted of?  What about their charitable work?  Is religion too taboo? How about whether or not they have been or plan to be vaccinated? What is it about his sexual orientation that makes you uncomfortable?

I don't really care about anyone's orientation, religious beliefs, or political stance when it comes to football.  Nothing about his sexual orientation makes me feel uncomfortable, but I do enjoy the thinly veiled attempt at calling me homophobic, again nice try LOL.

What I do care about is those three things being dramatized for the simple theatre of it.  Hey's gay, yipee.  I do care about the well being of players, up to and including health struggles, as I would like to include them in my thoughts and prayers, however I don't feel Carl needs prayer from me any more that a straight person does for being straight.  I have that ability to separate things that way, you on the other hand, don't seem to have that skillset.  You don't like my opinion?  ohh no!  what ever will I do with myself!

I dignified your legitimate questions in this post with a response, so now you know.

• Like (+1) 3