Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I disagree - they should be celebrated because their courage may/should allow other that are in a lesser position feel they are not alone.  LGBTQ+ suicide rates are terrible - they feel alone and ostracized many times.  They hide who they are out of fear.

Having someone come out in a field like football or the military shows people they are not alone and that it isn’t just theater majors or drama or quiet hidden people that might be like them, but people that have made it into all walks of life.  These men and women in sports and CEOs and actors and everyday people that choose to come out should be celebrated to remind everyone that we are all unique, but there are others that think like you - feel like you - you are never alone.

Great points.  I respect his courage.  

Being gay should not be a big thing. Being a lesbian is more commonplace in women's sports, so it's not as big a deal, though the media still seems to enjoy when someone has a preference reveal.

That said, he needed to come out now, IMO, because he's overpaid and was benched towards the end of last season. He was in danger of losing his platform. so better to do it while he's an active player vs. being a released player. That way, he can bring an increased attention to the Trevor project.

We'll next have the first male athlete to come out while a superstar in their sport.  

1 hour ago, T master said:

I have a announcement . I'm Hetro do you care ? If not then why should this be a thing ? 

Just do what it is you do keep it to your self  I don't Care !!! 

What is Hetro?  Gender fluid, non-binary?

6 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Lets split hairs. Did he come out and get drafted? Are we not thinking that was a giant step? 

not splitting hairs really - he never played in a regular season game so he wasn’t considered “active” by league standards. Still he definitely deserves credit. Sam was the 1st openly gay active player in the CFL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 pages and counting on this topic - yet quite a few believe this isn't "newsworthy".  I can assure you that if Ed Oliver tweeted that he was straight, this site would not get 9 pages of reaction.

Edited by DasNootz

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

not splitting hairs really - he never played in a regular season game so he wasn’t considered “active” by league standards. Still he definitely deserves credit. Sam was the 1st openly gay active player in the CFL.

Michael Sam is a hero

16 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I just want to take a moment to say I'm straight.  Been meaning to say this for a while.   I like boobs

In other related news  - Rex Ryan just announced that he was also proudly straight - he likes women's feet.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bulldog said:

In other related news  - Rex Ryan just announced that he was also proudly straight - he likes women's feet.

Although wasn't the rumour he also liked watching other men with his wife's feet (and other body parts) as well..... 

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Well you can go work for big tech and censor people, or better yet, become a moderator and censor us!  

Are those our choices: promoting censorship or espousing narratives that paint gay men as sexual monsters who are purely driven by the need to tackle other men?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Although wasn't the rumour he also liked watching other men with his wife's feet (and other body parts) as well..... 

Demanding they all go eat a ***** snack immediately after the final whistle.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Are those our choices: promoting censorship or espousing narratives that paint gay men as sexual monsters who are purely driven by the need to tackle other men?

Yea, now come on, pick a box and stick a cross in it! Jeez. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Also @Jauronimo my interest in looking at Stefon Diggs in his gameday uniform does me no favours in this discussion. 😁

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It's this ridiculous hyper sexualization of the human body.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

16 hours ago, aristocrat said:

true but he is the first active one to come out so more than likely quite a few guys still uncomfortable coming out. 

Why do people need to come out? They need to just live their lives and do what they do and if people find out then people find out, who cares.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Why do people need to come out? They need to just live their lives and do what they do and if people find out then people find out, who cares.

So for the most part that is the approach I have taken. But when you are a public figure like Nassib either you put it out there in a low key way as he has or someone sees you with your partner in a restaurant or holding hands in the park etc and breaks the story on you and suddenly the narrative of your love life is out of your own control. All he did yesterday was say I'm in control, that is what it is, I'm gay, let me get on with things. 

2 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

why did he even have to "come out" anyway, his personal life is his business, seems more like unnecessary theater to me.  you're gay, whoop-de-frickin-dooo, so are millions of other Americans.

And they will all have had to come out at some stage in some way and as I alluded to earlier, likely multiple times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

i think inside your statement is the exact reason why he needed to come out

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1