Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Not confused at all; but why is it so important to put a "qualifier on it"?   

What is your point about the "qualifier"?  If Nassib is the second NFL player in the history of the league to come out as gay is that old news?

Also, are you quoting yourself?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Not important to me, that's the point.  Good for the young man, but you're getting all flummoxed because "He's the First" not Michael Sam!"   

You care too much about this. Then he's the 2nd...does it change that much for you?

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

You care too much about this. Then he's the 2nd...does it change that much for you?

Nope, not at all.  Like I said, good on him for what makes him happy in life.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  My brother is gay and gets a kick out of all the virtue signaling that make people feel good about themselves (like you getting in a tissy about ensuring TBD knows Michael Sam was NOT the first openly gay player on an active roster)! 

4 minutes ago, Wacka said:

He's not the first. A  D or O lineman for the Redskins said he was gay I think in the 80s. Cam tell who is young. Besides WGAF

Lots of people.  Among the people who care are other players wondering if they'll be accepted by their teammates if they share their private lives, the neanderthals who polluted the Buffalo Bills Pride Month release with abhorrent comments on social media, the material % of NFL players who said they would not be comfortable with a homosexual in the locker room, everyone who jumped in this thread to downplay the event of the first active NFL player to come out as non-newsworthy because some former player came out long after their playing days or because Michael Sam was on the practice squad, you, me, the LGBTQ community, the guys who think that supporting Carl Nassib can only be some shallow act of "virtue signaling", the guys who think that Pride month is an assault on their "traditional family values".  In summary, lots of people GAF.

"Cam" tell who didn't read the press release.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Sure is a lotta people in this thread who “couldn’t give a ____” about this news yet  decided to take the time to let everyone know how little they care instead of just moving along with their day. 🤔🤔🤔

It's not the news we don't care about.  It's the fact that he's gay that we don't care about.  An active NFL player coming out is a big deal because of the NFL and how it's perceived throughout the league.  The fact that a person is gay is whatever.

Also, that's pretty much the point of any thread is for everyone to point out what they think about the given topic.

Edited by The Wiz

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's not the news we don't care about.  It's the fact that he's gay that we don't care about.  An active NFL player coming out is a big deal because of the NFL and how it's perceived throughout the league.  The fact that a person is gay is whatever.

Also, that's pretty much the point of any thread is for everyone to point out what they think about the given topic.

largely a semantic distinction you’re making here but I think I get what you’re saying. 

The thread is about this news though and it’s significance to the league, not about a broader statement on whether you or anyone else “don’t care if a person is gay, straight or somewhere in between.” So saying “who cares” or “WGAF” seems more of a dismissal of the story or a non-opinion. It certainly isn’t valuable or constructive in any way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

largely a semantic distinction you’re making here but I think I get what you’re saying. 

The thread is about this news though and it’s significance to the league, not about a broader statement on whether you or anyone else “don’t care if a person is gay, straight or somewhere in between.” So saying “who cares” or “WGAF” seems more of a dismissal of the story or a non-opinion. It certainly isn’t valuable or constructive in any way.

What is highly constructive is for everyone to share with us what Carl could have done differently to make the experience of him living the rest of his life as an out gay man more comfortable for them personally.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cutting him now is over $9m in dead money and -$4m in cap savings. Yea. He is not getting cut. 

Raiders are stuck with him for another year before they can cut him.  The Raiders are always overpaying for talent.

Interesting.

He always came off as kinda an over-aggressive jackass thinking back the the Cleveland Browns Hard Knocks.

Although, there is no way of telling whether that was due to him overcompensating for his secret... or if he is just a jackass regardless. It's not like Ryan Nassib was Mr Personality or well-liked either.