Does anyone enjoy walking?

Another Fan

It’s become the exercise of choice for me.  I’d love to still run/jog but in my 30s the muscle soreness outweighs the benefits.  

I do a 5-10 minute walk if it’s nice out to get out of the office.  Sometimes 20 minute walk after work at the local park then a 5 mile walk on the weekends.  

Lets me clear my head from being around people as well 

• Like (+1) 1

I try and do 3-5 miles 5 times a week, i like to find new trails or parks and just start walking...did one sunday morning at a nature preserve near the philadelphia airport...got to see a ton of wildlife, it was a very easy trail, best thing about it was i had no idea what the distance of the loop was...turned out to be 6 miles but it went by in a flash

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

It’s become the exercise of choice for me.  I’d love to still run/jog but in my 30s the muscle soreness outweighs the benefits.  

I do a 5-10 minute walk if it’s nice out to get out of the office.  Sometimes 20 minute walk after work at the local park then a 5 mile walk on the weekends.  

• Like (+1) 2

oh yeah.   i love being active.  i'm not a workout nut or anything, but i work out 4 times a week.  it's an hour for me to reset.  it's mental as much as  it is physical.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

My wife and I walk 2-3 miles a day, and that should increase to 3-4 miles now that the weather is getting nice. Being semi-retired and working from home helps to facilitate that, but even when I worked full-time, I tried to take a 20-30 minute walk around campus when I had a break. It's good for mental and physical health.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Always surprises me seeing the people who jog/run and have such bad form that you can practically see them destroying their knees and ankles.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Good you stopped then...waited until late 50's to stop jogging 5ish miles a day. Pain got so bad I had to use a walker for a few weeks. Now do the low impact ellipticals. Plus walk on the golf course.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Always surprises me seeing the people who jog/run and have such bad form that you can practically see them destroying their knees and ankles.

it's incredible how posture and form can change everything.

• Like (+1) 1

My sister was 7 years younger than I am now when she needed quadruple bypass surgery. Tall and thin, never smoked, walked the dog daily a couple mile. Freaked us all out. They told her she had to get at least 10,000 steps a day, so I started paying attention to my steps. 

For years I had been going to a local park and hitting tennis balls 2-3 hours a day, Monday-Friday. Not matches, just ground strokes and some drills, so a lot of just waiting for the ball to come back. I finally realized I actually got more steps in per hour if I just walk the 1/2 mile trail by the courts. If I walk/jog for an hour listening to sports talk radio or Pandora I get 6-8k steps right there, so it makes it almost impossible to NOT get 10k for the day. 

By paying attention it makes me more apt to get off my butt and go do it. Our older dog likes to take a lap around the neighborhood after dinner which is about 10 minutes and 1k steps. The 8 month old puppy requires a good bit more. I can look at the monthly totals on my phone and it’s obvious when the weather turned crappy... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agreed.  Some people my back hurts just watching them struggle 

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Good you stopped then...waited until late 50's to stop jogging 5ish miles a day. Pain got so bad I had to use a walker for a few weeks. Now do the low impact ellipticals. Plus walk on the golf course.

Sorry that sucks.  The problem is my mind feels sharper than 10 years ago.  My body doesn’t though ☹️

I started trying to walk a little bit more a few years ago. If I went out to lunch at work and had the time, would suggest places that were a mile or so away. Or would park my car a little further from the office to walk an extra mile in.

I then started to get more into golf. I tried to walk 9 holes early in the morning before work and maybe once on the weekend. That is great exercise and you can walk usually about 3-4 miles playing 9. With carrying your bag And swinging a bunch, it ends up being a solid 600 calorie burn.

I also got into hiking and will hike with the wife or family a fair amount. Working from home during covid, would try to get out to hike 3-5 miles each day if I could. 

Yet despite of all this, I put on 20 pounds during covid! 😀

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad form makes me cringe, but more from a performance perspective. I used to run xc/track, did 1 marathon, and 4 halfs, and I have great form. Despite that, the running still took its toll. I only bike now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.