Best player for immediate upgrade to our starting lineup.

gjv

As much as Zane Collins BB looks sharp, he would be rotating with Milano or Edmunds and I think Beane may want someone in the first who is an impact starter right away.  That keeps taking me back to CB and Ettiene.  There are supposedly 4 good CB’s with a first round grade.  We can only hope there is a. Serious run on QB’s and Tackles.  You know someone will take a LB or two some of the CB’s, and two teams are probably going to take Philip’s or Owe as edge rushers.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The Bucs showed the way to beating the Chefs was getting to the QB ( which is the case most of the time )  so im going with pass rusher, however instead of the usual suspects im going with athletic freak 6'5" 260 pound

Zaven Collins - 

Positives: Explosive, game-impacting linebacker who was a three-year starter for Tulsa. Instinctive, breaks down well, and quickly locates the ball handler. Forceful up the field and plays with balance as well as body control. Gives effort defending the run and attacks assignments as well as opponents.

Big, strong, and defeats blocks to make the play. Easily gets back to playing balance off the initial block and quickly changes direction or alters his angle of attack without losing momentum. Terrific pass rusher who bends off the edge with speed. Explodes through gaps to penetrate the line of scrimmage. Very effective making plays in space, fluid moving laterally and shows speed in pursuit. Stays with assignments, possesses solid ball skills, and stands out in coverage.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zaven-collins-nfl-draft-player-profile-tulsa-linebacker/

I’m with you BB. A natural Swiss Army knife for McDermott and the Bills defense. I can see the Bills going back to a base 4-3 with Edmunds/Collins/Milano. The only problem I can see is Cleveland snatching him before we pick. Another player I can see improving the team but not starting is Terrace Marshall Jr. Possible contributor later in the draft is David Moore from Grambling. Can bolster the play of the interior offensive line.

I keep seeing how the Bills should be afforded the chance to take a player who may not make a big difference this year. I’m sorry but I didn’t realize we had the number 2 corner spot pinned down, edge rusher solved and tight end squared away. Last time we were in the field the Chiefs beat the living tar out of this team. I didn’t realize the Bills could make all luxury picks this year.

• Disagree 1

The most immediate upgrade player(s) are already in the locker room. The Bills have invested top round picks in both Oliver and Epinesa. My hope is that they’ll be meeting up with the opposing QB regularly in 2021. We desperately need them to before we go looking for the next great college impact player.

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This board is great training for new parents.

It teaches how to give the same consistent answer when the kids ask the same question 100 different ways to try to trip you up.

It doesn’t work.  I’ve read to almost the bottom of page one and nobody has based Edmunds yet.  That’s highly inconsistent.

For immediate impact I think RB is a possibility.  I think a better one would be a legit OLB that would allows us to use 3 LBs more frequently.  Edmunds and Milano are both decent+ in coverage, and if the third guy is too, we may need the extra corner on a lower percentage of plays.  That could have impact IMO.

Personally I think the best hope and mix is short/long term is if a top notch corner slips.  For long term I think finding another 1T is imperative and that it would be great if that guy was able to backup Star this year.

Running Back is usually the position most ready to play Year 1.

Lots of rookie RBs finish Top 5-10 in the league in rushing.  Other positions take at least 2-3 years to develop.

With that said, I am going to answer Caleb Farley.

Many consider him the best Cornerback to come out in a few years (in pure talent).  The question with him is long-term viability due to injuries, which is why he could possibly drop to our pick.  He would be a huge addition across from Tre White.

22 hours ago, Process said:

A RB in the first round is, with out question and always, the worst "bang for your buck" you can get.

I think your misunderstanding me. What I was trying to say was that with premier positions like DE and CB - at pick 30 you're going to get maybe the 5th ranked player at the position. With the true studs going way higher than where you're picking, ending up with AJ Epenesa type prospects. Wherein RB being devalued in Draft's, it's possible you could get the #1 ranked prospect at the position.

16 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m with you BB. A natural Swiss Army knife for McDermott and the Bills defense. I can see the Bills going back to a base 4-3 with Edmunds/Collins/Milano. The only problem I can see is Cleveland snatching him before we pick. Another player I can see improving the team but not starting is Terrace Marshall Jr. Possible contributor later in the draft is David Moore from Grambling. Can bolster the play of the interior offensive line.

i dont think we need a base 43, use him as rusher lining up all over the the line then the occasional drop back in a zone blitz.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:43 PM, Rockinon said:

That Tar Heels RB looks pretty good to me. Love the way he lowers his shoulder and just bowls people over. I think the Bills should trade down, get a good CB in a deep CB draft, get this RB and pick up an extra pick in the middle rounds where Beane seems to have a knack for finding gems. Hope they pick up another young OLman in this draft too. They do need to get that run game fixed.

But I'm just an armchair GM and looking back at what I just wrote completely over looked pass rusher. Another big need. Perhaps they could take a chance on one of the DEs that opted out last year. Maybe one of them is diamond.

He is an all around back but does not have great speed.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:11 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Definitely agree with you about CB.  I truly will be a little shocked if one is not picked in the first 2 rounds.

Lots of fans concerned about WRs leaving or getting old starting next year.

I would like state that currently the Bills have 2 CBs signed next year (Tre and Dane Jackson).

I think the Bills will extend Beasley to another year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:58 PM, FFadpecr said:

You do realize that CEH was a much worse pass-blocker coming out of LSU, right? He started from Day 1 and didn't get his QB killed, the Chiefs went 15-1 and got to the Super Bowl. That whole narrative is overblown.

You do realize CEH was no better than an undrafted RB they had on the roster.  They could of gotten the same production from a running back taken anywhere in the draft.

He also put up similar YPC and less yards per reception than Singletary and the same TDs as Moss - both of whom did it in shared time.

I think CEH is the exact reason you do not draft a RB high.  He was no more productive than our 3rd round pair and an undrafted guy on their team.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bruuuuuuce, on D

Thomas on O 

unless you mean the slackers that are available now...

I think the most immediate impact players would be at RB and CB. Although I like Boogie Basham and Joseph Ossai to a lesser degree, it would likely take them a year or more to crack the starting lineup. I do think Boogie will be a good DE in this league but I seem to be in the minority there. A top flight corner opposite to Tre is not a bad idea either and would certainly add a scary element to our defense, but yeah, as far as which positions would provide the most immediate impact to our roster, it would have to be RB, CB and DE.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Pass rusher.

But nobody will make that much of a difference this year. 

As for how much of a difference Etienne would make, around 130 extra yards in his first year would be a solid guess, plus an extra ... what ... maybe 150 yards of difference in passing. Somewhere around there.

As a rookie, Singletary had around 150 carries and Moss around 110. Split the diff, and say ETN had 130. Be wildly optimistic and say he'd average 5.3 YPC. That'd be around a yard per carry more than either of the other two, maybe. So maybe an extra 130 yards extra on the ground. Run the same type of replacement guesstimates on the pass game and maybe 150 yards in passing, though it's generous.

That's how much he specifically gains, but how much do others in the offense benefit from his presence?  As someone else mentioned, if other teams have to account for a guy like him who could go the distance n any given play, how much does that help the rest of the offense (and passing game in particular.)

53 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

That's how much he specifically gains, but how much do others in the offense benefit from his presence?  As someone else mentioned, if other teams have to account for a guy like him who could go the distance n any given play, how much does that help the rest of the offense (and passing game in particular.)

Do teams really have to worry about him “going the distance” though?  Honestly.

Etienne is mid 4.4 speed - that is not blazing and certainly not faster than a bunch of NFL LBs and DBs.  He would be faster than the current Draft pick backs we have, but he does not strike me as a take it to the house guy in the NFL.

I see a take it to the house guy with a forty time below 4.4 and hopefully 4.35 and lower.  Elite level speed.  Etienne has the best combo of speed and play in the upcoming draft, but I just think he will be an average RB for some team.  I don’t think he is as good at Harris in the passing game or the running game, and he has had way to many touches and fumbles over the last couple of years.

I would rather draft a late round or UDFA speed back than Etienne myself.