Mitch Morse Re-Works Contract per Ian Rapoport

13 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

That's trimming a lot of beef on the DL. Who replaces them and at what cost?

Star returning makes Butler expendable.  Addison was a disappointment and you could basically swap him out for, say, Carlos Dunlap for less than what you recoup by cutting Addison.  Then you look for another DT/DE to replace Jefferson, or I guess you could restructure him.  Depends on whether they see better options on the market.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Star returning makes Butler expendable.  Addison was a disappointment and you could basically swap him out for, say, Carlos Dunlap for less than what you recoup by cutting Addison.  Then you look for another DT/DE to replace Jefferson, or I guess you could restructure him.  Depends on whether they see better options on the market.

I would keep Quinton Jefferson. I think he’s the best of the group they signed last year and was often playing out of position. I would cut Butler, he was never a great fit. Zimmer takes his place. Addison is a restructure or cut if they sign another pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would keep Quinton Jefferson. I think he’s the best of the group they signed last year and was often playing out of position. I would cut Butler, he was never a great fit. Zimmer takes his place. Addison is a restructure or cut if they sign another pass rusher.

Again depends on options in FA.  If they feel Jefferson's $6.5M in cap space (he has zero dead cap) could be better used on someone else, so be it.  If they think he's worth keeping and extending and thereby lowering his cap hit, so be it.  

As for Addison, find someone better.  He's not going suddenly improve at his age.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Agreed, except on what Dunlap will get paid. He’s 33, but I think he gets more than 6.1M.  Maybe he’d take less to join us or another contender but he proved he could still bring the heat last season. 

• Agree 1

Mitch is one of the best pass blocking centers in the league, he also is great at doing the leadership things and communication you need a center to do and he isn’t a tragic run blocker either. Overall he is a good player and at a reduced rate and cap number he makes even more sense to keep. Hoping to see John Brown, Hughes and a few others take this route.

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again depends on options in FA.  If they feel Jefferson's $6.5M in cap space (he has zero dead cap) could be better used on someone else, so be it.  If they think he's worth keeping and extending and thereby lowering his cap hit, so be it.  

As for Addison, find someone better.  He's not going suddenly improve at his age.

Isn’t Jefferson coming with 1.5 million in dead cap? I would see if he wants to restructure and take a lower number before cutting him as I like him as a good rotational pass rusher. But if he is unwilling to come down to a more reasonable cap number I cut him and spend that space elsewhere.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed, except on what Dunlap will get paid. He’s 33, but I think he gets more than 6.1M.  Maybe he’d take less to join us or another contender but he proved he could still bring the heat last season. 

Feel throughout the league is Dunlap going back to Seattle at a smaller contract...

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Feel throughout the league is Dunlap going back to Seattle at a smaller contract...

Makes sense.  There’s no way they could keep him at the 14M hit he had.  I think he could get 8-10M one a one year deal.  Addison got 10 🙄

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Butler was playing out of position.  I think he’s more of a 3 technique.  They might keep him and lose Jefferson.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

The massive list of free agent rushers alone the Bills should have no problem filling a spot or two 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Mitch is one of the best pass blocking centers in the league, he also is great at doing the leadership things and communication you need a center to do and he isn’t a tragic run blocker either. Overall he is a good player and at a reduced rate and cap number he makes even more sense to keep. Hoping to see John Brown, Hughes and a few others take this route.

Isn’t Jefferson coming with 1.5 million in dead cap? I would see if he wants to restructure and take a lower number before cutting him as I like him as a good rotational pass rusher. But if he is unwilling to come down to a more reasonable cap number I cut him and spend that space elsewhere.

Think back to 2019 and how excited most of us were to get Morse as our FA Center.  Thought we had Josh’s C for years to come (Morse was only 26 at the time).  Nature of the game...

52 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Butler was playing out of position.  I think he’s more of a 3 technique.  They might keep him and lose Jefferson.

Not really. He's actually kind of positionless in this defense. Not quite stout enough for the 1, just not enough athleticism for the 3. Actually kind of the same deal with Harry ass Philips too.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Guys unless Feliciano is asking for too much money he's not going anywhere. He's the leader in the locker room on offense. 

I appreciate him for his aggressiveness. We need some nasty!  (NOT crazy nasty like Richie, but nasty.)  He plays at least until the whistle, and often moves the pile 2-3 more yards after the RB gets stopped. I LOVE that about him! 

But....it always comes down to money. At least we have a rich owner and everyone knows the Bills are where to cool kids want to play!    :)

14 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Think back to 2019 and how excited most of us were to get Morse as our FA Center.  Thought we had Josh’s C for years to come (Morse was only 26 at the time).  Nature of the game...

To be fair as much as I loved the signing and as much as many loved adding Mitch there were a lot of people concerned about the fact that the team overpaid for him and that he had concussion issues. But I thought this team would have at least had a high quality solution at center for the next 4-5 years. Hopefully he can hold up a few more years.

• Like (+1) 1

Idk why ppl are bashing Morse. 

He has had a helluva 2 years here so far. He missed a few games, nothing serious,  came back n played at a high level still. 

I love the message this sends to the rest of the league.  Morse was willing to deduct 2 mil instead of being released and likely testing FA and getting more. There'd definitely be a market for a 28 y/o very good - elite Center

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Idk why ppl are bashing Morse. 

He has had a helluva 2 years here so far. He missed a few games, nothing serious,  came back n played at a high level still. 

I love the message this sends to the rest of the league.  Morse was willing to deduct 2 mil instead of being released and likely testing FA and getting more. There'd definitely be a market for a 28 y/o very good - elite Center

Agree this is great news-

We keep our very good center

We don't create another hole in the O Line

Bills save cap room-

wins all around

• Agree 1