Mitch Morse Re-Works Contract per Ian Rapoport

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Completely disagree. When you have 5 concussions you are basically playing on borrowed time to begin with. They had an out and should have taken it. Josh needs to be paired with a young center for the next 10 years (Landon Dickerson?) and while it's fun to picture Morse starting for 16 games it just isn't likely to happen.

Dickerson or Leatherwood.  But you can draft them and still have Morse for 2021.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

This is a way better option.  Why create more holes?

I get why the Bills would go this route.  They interior OL does need the stability of him being there.  I don’t think the risk is worth it though.  I just can’t believe that he will finish the season without another concussion and I expect the the next one will probably be it for him.  Finding a capable back up - which we absolutely don’t have right now - is a must.  Mongo really helped in that regard last season. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I get why the Bills would go this route.  They interior OL does need the stability of him being there.  I don’t think the risk is worth it though.  I just can’t believe that he will finish the season without another concussion and I expect the the next one will probably be it for him.  Finding a capable back up - which we absolutely don’t have right now - is a must.  Mongo really helped in that regard last season. 

Bates?

To me it's starting to feel like the Bills are going to stick with the "continuity" mantra as the entire offseason heading for virtual again. I'm not really expecting much in the way of FA at this point. I'm not expecting much leading up to the draft, including a no re-signing of Williams, Feliciano, or Milano. Only if Feliciano takes a team friendly deal will he be here. 

13 minutes ago, QCity said:

Completely disagree. When you have 5 concussions you are basically playing on borrowed time to begin with. They had an out and should have taken it. Josh needs to be paired with a young center for the next 10 years (Landon Dickerson?) and while it's fun to picture Morse starting for 16 games it just isn't likely to happen.

How many games missed since he has been a Bill?

21 minutes ago, QCity said:

he started all 17 games in 19 and 17 of 19 games last season. One of those misses beane came out and said he could have played.... he's played 14 or more games in 4 of 6 regular seasons. lets not pretend like he's missing games left and right.

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

How many games missed since he has been a Bill?

he's played in 34 of the 36 available games. not a great take on that dudes part.

although he's not wrong that the concussions are obviously a concern going forward.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

So would that make him more desirable of a trade target. I say that sort of tongue in cheek. Awesome news regardless. Hopefully we can get a couple more of these restructures by Harry Beanedini the magic man. 

If the rumblings around the league are true, this was a smart move by Mitch Morse.

Reports are saying that a lot of veterans are in danger of being cut this offseason.  And there probably won't be much cap space for them to get big bucks by re-signing with someone else.

In other words, many of these guys are going to be forced into pay cuts... whether they like it or not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Friendly reminder we dont really have anyone under contract on the OL (LT and C starters only).  We need help; we don't need to lose an above average player to save cap.  Continuity is not the reason when we will likely lose at least one of starting RG and RT from last year and we will likely roll with a new LG.  Agree with @BarleyNY that we should be drafting his replacement this year (along with at least one other OL).  TE does not seem like a place we will spend a lot this FA because of our cap restrictions and I expect us to use a mid round pick on one again.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

To me it's starting to feel like the Bills are going to stick with the "continuity" mantra as the entire offseason heading for virtual again. I'm not really expecting much in the way of FA at this point. I'm not expecting much leading up to the draft, including a no re-signing of Williams, Feliciano, or Milano. Only if Feliciano takes a team friendly deal will he be here. 

When you make it to the AFC Championship game, it's probably smart to keep as much continuity as possible.

Figure out why you fell short against the Chiefs... make some tweaks... and go for it all in 2021.

I was guessing this would happen as these players aren’t dumb.  There have been future cuts to team rosters of upwards if 615 players and counting for when they can officially cut them.  Feliciano is not going to get huge $ nor is Williams.  Players who are smart will take lower prove it deals, and then rework their contracts next year.

Dont be surprised if Feliciano and Williams accept lower than market $ with the agreement they can address again next year.  With this kind of competition for jobs, players don’t have the leverage this year.  Once the tv deals are redone, they will have the leverage and expect a lot of pay raises.  

It actually works somewhat in our favor as Allen, Edmunds etc. will come when we have the $ to pay.  It really is too bad on Milano as some bad team with a lot of cap space will outbid us.  Milano though will have to go to a non playoff team unless the Colts want him.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

If the rumblings around the league are true, this was a smart move by Mitch Morse.

Reports are saying that a lot of veterans are in danger of being cut this offseason.  And there probably won't be much cap space for them to get big bucks by re-signing with someone else.

In other words, many of these guys are going to be forced into pay cuts... whether they like it or not.

There are plenty of teams with a lot of cap space, just not us this year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Just now, mjt328 said:

When you make it to the AFC Championship game, it's probably smart to keep as much continuity as possible.

Figure out why you fell short against the Chiefs... make some tweaks... and go for it all in 2021.

I disagree with this being a continuity move.  I think we are bringing in at least two new starters on the line.  This move is a way to start building what we need imo.

Just now, mjt328 said:

Our flaws are the same as they have been the last couple of years. No legit Edge rusher and a so-so OL. Williams helped a lot, but we are likely to lose him, Milano on the defense, and possibly Feliciano if he doesn't take a team friendly deal. That doesn't seem like getting better to me. I'm not saying we need to blow it all up by any means because we do have a good team, but we need more than just a couple of tweaks to get past the Chiefs. 

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I was expecting him to be a cut and another center to be signed - possibly even Mongo returning.  While this is certainly better than paying him what he was due, I’d have probably still gone that route.  One more concussion and I don’t see how you ever put him back on the field.  I’d be shocked if we don’t draft a center this year. 

23 minutes ago, QCity said:

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

My guess is that, with a tight cap and limited resources this season, they wanted to keep him one more year only if they could get him to agree to a better deal for the team. He did. They save a lot by releasing him next year so I wouldn't sweat this too much. It's very likely that this is his last year in Buffalo and an upgrade will come next season with much better cap flexibility,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Friendly reminder we dont really have anyone under contract on the OL (LT and C starters only).  We need help; we don't need to lose an above average player to save cap.  Continuity is not the reason when we will likely lose at least one of starting RG and RT from last year and we will likely roll with a new LG.  Agree with @BarleyNY that we should be drafting his replacement this year (along with at least one other OL).  TE does not seem like a place we will spend a lot this FA because of our cap restrictions and I expect us to use a mid round pick on one again.

Cody Ford is under contract and was a starter at RG and will be again unless they move him back to RT

• Like (+1) 1