The one free agent i want us to get: Okwara

After reading some articles I felt Hendrickson should be our target.  I then reviewed his sacks from last season and none of them were impressive.  Either cover sacks our just lucky to be at right place at right time.  Just reviewed Okwara sacks and everyone of them he beat his guy. 10 sacks last season

Edited by offyourocker
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

After reading some articles I felt Hendrickson should be our target.  I then reviewed his sacks from last season and none of them were impressive.  Either cover sacks our just lucky to be at right place at right time.  Just reviewed Okwara sacks and everyone of them he beat his guy. 10 sacks last season

What do you make of his 2019 season where he only had 1.5 sacks? 

My concern would be “contract year syndrome” but, was something else going on?  Injury?  Injuries elsewhere on the line?  Did he pick it up after Patricia moved on?

• Like (+1) 5

I was reading on him and although his sacks have dropped a few times, he seemed to be high up the list on pressure %s. I wanna say it was top3. The sacks nice but at the end of the day the pressure is enough with this teams secondary.  I do worry a bit, few people thought he was lazy, but tough to tell how credible the people saying that were. I trust McBeanes judgment to weed him out if that's a concern

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Carl Lawson should be the goal. May not happen but I would have to be told no.

I liked the idea of Lawson and if his price tag is the $8.8m AAV Spotrac thinks then I am interested. I have seen others speculating it could be as high as $13m AAV and I am out at that price. He is not a complete d-end he is just a pass rusher and while we have a need for that paying upwards of $10m for someone to be as bad setting the edge as Trent Murphy doesn't enamor me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I don't know i seen a good 7 sacks were he blew away the Tackle blocking him. There's always going to be coverage sacks anyone with 10 sacks on a season would have at least 4-5 of those.  Look at tape of the leading sack player and u will see the same thing . I watched TJ Watt sacks at least half of them were coverage sacks or the rush leading the QB his way. 

6 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I agree he's my favorite he's gotten 95 total pressures the last 2yrs combined and has a 79 PFF grade the last 2 seasons as well. 

Now think about that stat for a sec , 95 pressures on a team that's usually losing the majority of the time. That's very impressive . I wouldn't mind Carl The Lawman at about 11mil per I think he's the next Shaq Barrett type.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I don't know i seen a good 7 sacks were he blew away the Tackle blocking him. There's always going to be coverage sacks anyone with 10 sacks on a season would have at least 4-5 of those.  Look at tape of the leading sack player and u will see the same thing . I watched TJ Watt sacks at least half of them were coverage sacks or the rush leading the QB his way. 

I agree he's my favorite he's gotten 95 total pressures the last 2yrs combined and has a 79 PFF grade the last 2 seasons as well. 

Now think about that stat for a sec , 95 pressures on a team that's usually losing the majority of the time. That's very impressive . I wouldn't mind Carl The Lawman at about 11mil per I think he's the next Shaq Barrett type.

Barrett is a good comp because they are both very good pass rushers but have weaknesses in other facets of their game. Lawson's PFF grade just for pass rush the last two years is up in the mid 80s. His run defense drags it down a bit and I think their run D grade on him is kind compared to what I see on film. He is a bad edge setter but the Bills do have guys who set the edge. They need a guy who gets after the passer. Just not sure about that price for someone I think teams can run right at (on a Dline that already has run game issues). Under $10m I am all in. The further it goes up after that the less sold I am.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Barrett is a good comp because they are both very good pass rushers but have weaknesses in other facets of their game. Lawson's PFF grade just for pass rush the last two years is up in the mid 80s. His run defense drags it down a bit and I think their run D grade on him is kind compared to what I see on film. He is a bad edge setter but the Bills do have guys who set the edge. They need a guy who gets after the passer. Just not sure about that price for someone I think teams can run right at (on a Dline that already has run game issues). Under $10m I am all in. The further it goes up after that the less sold I am.

I agree but with Star return our run D should get much better. We also need a viable bkup at the 1tech either someone in the draft like Shelvin or McNeil or via free agency . 

• Like (+1) 1

If u look at the best defenses over the yrs that ran 4-3 zone they all were built on speed & physicality especially in the front 7.  The Seahawks, Bucs, Colts & Rams are just a few that come to mind they won the Superbowl with these types of defenses. 

If we're being honest the Bills D as currently constructed are not built in this fashion especially on the edges . We need to add some juice to this defensive line group and players like Lawson and Reddick can add that demension we've been missing. 

The interesting thing is like the Bills those teams I mentioned other then Tampa had some high octane offenses and it just seemed like that style of D complemented there offenses very well. We desperately need some more speed and athletic ability added to this D. 

Well, well, well, I get to speak on a former Notre Dame player. B-) :lol: Seriously though, Okwara had a solid 2018 with 7.5 sacks and a number of QB pressures. In 2019 he battled through some things and had a down year. Then, in 2020, he put it all together. He had 10 sacks, 31 pressures, 10 QB hits, and 10 knockdowns. If you watch the film he has a quick first step, uses a number of pass rush moves, and is always ripping at the ball when he gets to the QB. He is also solid against the run and is effective lining up on either end of the DL. He honestly reminds me of a younger Jerry Hughes, but he seems to close out better. He's only 25. In the offseason scenario thread I created I had us signing him for 4yrs $32M with $24M guaranteed. The price tag might end up being $1M-$2M higher per year, not sure with the market. 

Edited by H2o

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

Well, well, well, I get to speak on a former Notre Dame player. B-) :lol: Seriously though, Okwara had a solid 2018 with 7.5 sacks and a number of QB pressures. In 2019 he battled through some things and had a down year. Then, in 2020, he put it all together. He had 10 sacks, 31 pressures, 10 QB hits, and 10 knockdowns. If you watch the film he has a quick first step, uses a number of pass rush moves, and is always ripping at the ball when he gets to the QB. He is also solid against the run and is effective lining up on either end of the DL. He honestly reminds me of a younger Jerry Hughes, but he seems to close out better. He's only 25. In the offseason scenario thread I created I had us signing him for 4yrs $32M with $24M guaranteed. The price tag might end up being $1M-$2M higher per year, not sure with the market. 

Call me greedy and I believe with the right maneuvering with the cap which I believe we have at our disposal I want any combination of Lawson with either Hendrickson or Okwara . 

Okwara deal from what you saying is very doable and I believe Lawson as well as Hendrickson will get the same type of deals. So it's not gonna kill our cap especially if we make the space via cuts and restructing of other deals. Which would also free up enough space to add a couple Olineman and fill the rest of our holes that we have. 

RE - Lawson, Hughes 

1Tech- Star, Phillips, Draft Pick 

3 Tech - Oliver, Zimmer, Add Cheap Vet

LE- Hendrickson/Okwara , Epenesa 

• Eyeroll 1

My opinion we need inside D line help. After watching a lot of Edmunds plays this past year he was caught out of position or bad angle due to interior offensive linemen getting to the second tier and linebackers. We need a big body who takes on multiple offensive linemen. Now I don’t know who available but I feel if star comeback and we can get Suh style player with him it would help all around the backend of our D is awesome. But they can’t cover when the QB has all day or they have to worry about the RB just flying free through our line. 

12 hours ago, Rico said:

I don't really like the idea of spending $ on any player that the Lions can't use.

Okwara with the Lions, Lawson with the Bengals. I'm hesitant on both. I know it's poor logic, but I haven't seen or heard enough about them to be excited about cast-offs from those teams. IMO, it's not like the Takeo Spikes situation where he was already established.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, offyourocker said:

Give me Gabe Jackson and solidify Joshs protection first  

Well, the Lions have been drafting high for a number of years and their first pick has been in the goodie locker ~15 and the second round pick has been HIGH in the top 50 (which is about the limit where you have a high expectation that the pick is a NFK player).    The quality of the players may not be the problem in Detroit.  "Discards" from there may have a lot of potential that they wasted.  Just an idea.

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

Trade for Von Miller. We need a serious edge rusher opposite Hughes. Edge rusher is such a key position and we keep bringing in guys like Addison and Trent Murphy. Let's get it right this time.

No need to trade. Miller will either restructure his contract or be released.

Just need to find $15M-17M a year to sign him.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:00 PM, Southern_Bills said:

He and Barrett are likely getting tagged sometime in the next 3 hours.  It usually goes that way with players like them.  

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He and Barrett are likely getting tagged sometime in the next 3 hours.  It usually goes that way with players like them.  

Barrett is already officially not being tagged, though I'm sure Tampa is hoping to sign him before he hits the open market.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Possibly, DE franchise tender is 17.xxM and they have 12.6M available. 

Not saying they won't but they will be completely dead in FA if they make that move.

Not sure they are in a situation to go "all in" on one player. 

If he's available I'd definitely try though.

I think this would be another Addison like signing. We need somebody like Barrett, Lawson, Ngakoue, or Miller (if he becomes available). Someone who will step in and be an unquestioned immediate upgrade. Okwara *could* be that guy. But I don't think he's getting the locker room, the fans, or the media all that inspired - if that's the move. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

• offyourocker changed the title to The one free agent i want us to get: Okwara