Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Cya!! 

Move Tre outside and get a real MLB. McBeane can be stubborn, so I don't see it happening, but that's the best path IMO. 

This is not happening...  One person said this and it has turned into an infection on theses boards..

And 

Fanside? are they not wrong as often as they are right?

On 2/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, H2o said:

Pete Werner would look good in a Bills uni, don't you think Yolo? :thumbsup:

From Ohio originally , big Ohio state fan. Watch all the games.  Werner is ok but why get another smallish Lb who will be pushed around by NFL size OL’ s and TE’s    ?  He seems more like a finesse player to me. After watching the Bills weaknesses exposed in their few losses, even with. Some of their wins, it’s clear they need someone with size and speed.  Just speed alone as a lb won’t cut it in the nfl.  Edmunds has speed, but he is not an aggressive hitter. People keep saying he is so yoing and will develop but some guys play nasty and like contact and some are more finesse. Edmunds is finesse and I wish they would allow him outside more, rushing the QB.  How many picks does he have as he is supposedly great in coverage,,,,,oh that’s right , 3 for his entire career.  5.5 sacks. For a high pic , such size , supposedly leading the defense , those are very pedestrian numbers.  

Werner will be good in the right scheme , but I am not sure I trust this defensive staff to figure out how to make him great as imho, they have had their lb use/ misuse exposed by tight ends and the running game all year.  I wish they would use someone who produces TFL. Watch Tampa’s lb play with white. I bet kc / Kelce don’t have near the production against. Tampa as they did against us.   The one Ohio state player I really wish they would get is sermon the RB ,as they missed on getting dobbins last year and during the draft I hoped that mistake wouldn’t  haunt them.  He has more talent than Our rbs, tho watching film analysis / breakdown of the OL run blocking , I am not sure any RB will do well with tight ends whiffing , and interior lineman getting blown by. They did well in PASS pro most of the year , so still have hope. That rb has power and break away speed and can catch.  Would take him over Werner.  Would also stay away from buckeye cbs this year. Indiana and Alabama torched all of them. 😉

I hope he gets paid what he wants, though I think he'll end up a bit disappointed. He's very good when he's healthy, unfortunately he's too often not healthy. He may test the market and not like what he's offered and come back to the Bills on a one year prove it deal or a longer deal mid range contract.

Good for Milano to seek a big deal. But let's see if there is a market for him or if he realizes that big long term deal might not be there for him. With a cap crunch or a possible cap flattening he might end up taking a 7-8 million dollar one year deal might be in his best interests to stay. 

4 minutes ago, Nester said:

Sorry if this has been asked or is obvious. 

If he signed a Big deal elsewhere, do we get a comp pick? how does that work? 

It depends on what other FAs we sign.

If all that happens is we let Milano walk, and dont sign anyone else at any other position, then yes. We'd get a comp pick.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

• Like (+1) 1

I figure starting players average around $8,000,000 per season.  Obviously some are going to take up more than that, so you’ve got to offset that somewhere.  The two main ways to do so are to draft players who can start while on their rookie contracts and by identifying less important positions that can be filled with a revolving door of cheap JAGs.

Milano filled the role of starting OLB on a cheap rookie contract.  Now that his contract is up, he no longer fills that need.  IMO, 4-3 OLBs are about as unimportant a position as you’re going to find, so you may as well use it to offset a bigger contract elsewhere unless you have a true game wrecker.  MM is a quality player, but I don’t think anyone sees him as a game wrecker.  Let him go and find someone cheap to replace him then use that money to lock up your stars.  If you don’t have enough stars to spend all that money on then go find some because that’s an issue that isn’t going to be solved by Matt Milano.

Now is when Beane needs to earn his money.  It’s great that he was able to find his QB when he had a ton of high picks to burn.  It’s great that he found his WR when he had multiple high picks and salary cap space to spend.  A competent GM should be able to get good players when they’ve got tremendous resources, but those days are over.  It’s time to find a superstar late in the first round and another one on day 3.  Find a couple more guys who can start in year one and a couple more who can compete to start in year two.  Those guys are out there every year.  

You just need a GM who can find them and coaches who can coach around soft spots.  If your scheme doesn’t work unless you’ve got a high dollar 4-3 OLB, then you need a new coach/coordinator.

• Like (+1) 1

I think McBeane finds a way to keep him.  He’s one of our best players on defense.  So many guys on that side of the ball who under-performed their contract.  Unless they use that money to bring in a Leonard Williams, you find a way to bring him back.  Otherwise you’re making your team worse. 

3 minutes ago, Nester said:

Sorry if this has been asked or is obvious. 

If he signed a Big deal elsewhere, do we get a comp pick? how does that work? 

The Bills will get a comp pick if they sign less free agents than they lose from my understanding. So if they sign 5 free agents (who aren't cut by their team) and they lose Milano and 5 others to other teams they will get one comp pick. The formula is very very stupid in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills will get a comp pick if they sign less free agents than they lose from my understanding. So if they sign 5 free agents (who aren't cut by their team) and they lose Milano and 5 others to other teams they will get one comp pick. The formula is very very stupid in my opinion. 

They have to be qualifying free agents the guys they sign. And only the top however many contracts given out to FAs count (think it is 80 odd). It hurts teams who like to use the mid range free agent market. Which is the Bills. I think the mischief it was designed to solve is not exactly the same as the problem as it is now a few years on. 

58 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Define "real MLB". Because it seems like folks only think of the classic, thumper MLB but that isnt what McD wants. Look at Kuechly.

A real MLB is a MLB that doesn’t suck at playing MLB a lot of the time.  Edmunds has his moments but he’s too inconsistent and is too easily manipulated by the QB.  His play vs the chiefs in both games (he gets the benefits of the doubt for being hurt in the first game) was atrocious.  Going forward, we can’t afford to have that level of play from our MLB vs the chiefs.  He might have 2 more chances this coming season.  

He needs a lot of work still.  I’m shocked at how hesitant he still is after 3 years playing the position. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m still perplexed by the amount of support he gets here as if he’s playing great. The pro bowl nominations are really deceiving some fans...

I hear ya.

I’m stuck in the middle.  I think he’s a great player....sometimes.  I just wish he was an average player in the times where he wasn’t great.  Just seems to me like he’s either great or bad.  Considering only his current play, I don’t think he’s going to be worth the 15+ mill he will inevitably get.  He’s still young even though he’s played 3 full seasons, but I would bet against him reaching his ceiling, which why he’ll

get paid so much.

I hope to be wrong and we sign up for the best case scenario.  We pay him huge bucks and he reaches his full potential.  It would really hurt our team long term it we pay him big $ and he continues to play like he is now. 

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A real MLB is a MLB that doesn’t suck at playing MLB a lot of the time.  Edmunds has his moments but he’s too inconsistent and is too easily manipulated by the QB.  His play vs the chiefs in both games (he gets the benefits of the doubt for being hurt in the first game) was atrocious.  Going forward, we can’t afford to have that level of play from our MLB vs the chiefs.  He might have 2 more chances this coming season.  

He needs a lot of work still.  I’m shocked at how hesitant he still is after 3 years playing the position. 

It wasn't atrocious.

First of all, Tre has been probably the best Bills defender for the 2nd half of the season, including playoffs, up till the Chiefs.

Second of all, he was fine in run support.

Finally, the only reason he looked "bad" was because of possibly the greatest TE in the history of the game, playing with one of the greatest QBs, to ever take a snap, supported by elite speed at WR, and a legit running game, and not having any real pass rush.

Criticizing him for looking "bad" against Kelce in that particular offense with that particular set of offensive coaching, is like blaming me for looking bad in a game of chess, against Bobby freakin Fischer.  The opponent matters.

There's not a linebacker in the NFL who's going to look good, when the Chiefs offense, and specifically Travis Kelce, are cooking.

Edited by appoo

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The hesitation in Edmunds just validates his instinctual deficiency. We got the kid because he was tall, fast and athletic. But if he can't read plays or holes or even the qb's eyes then what good is it. Before they throw in the towel on Tremaine they better at least try him out at OLB.

• Agree 1

On 2/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, TheFunPolice said:

Well... I wouldn't pay him top dollar for a LB. Our LB corps was far from scary.

Can't blame the man for wanting to get paid. It's a short career and he knows how one injury at the wrong time could cost you tens of millions of dollars. 

Use the $$ to re-sign Feliciano and maybe even Williams on the OL. 

I generally thought Feliciano did a good job, but his performance against KC was horrific. I never questioned resigning him before... Now, it gives me pause.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

So the guy wants to get paid. Let’s turn on him!  Btw don’t forget to go tell your boss you are willing to take a pay cut to help out your company. 

My feelings exactly :blush:

9 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

I generally thought Feliciano did a good job, but his performance against KC was horrific. I never questioned resigning him before... Now, it gives me pause.

He was going up against an elite DT who never had to think about the running back going past him.

• Like (+1) 2