Draft order

6 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

I just saw that after the games that we are picking 30th with GB picking 29. 

Does anyone know why the Packers get the tiebreaker is it SOS? 

They played a weaker schedule so they get an earlier pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Thought process is if a team with a weaker schedule finishes in the same place they are worse than the team with the stronger schedule.

Thanks, I honestly didn't know that. I figured it still go by seeding or record in the conference. 

28 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

I think bills move from 30. Just a hunch

Hope so.  Trade back into the 2nd and get a third.  With a amount of important FA’s this off-season and Allen about to cash-in, the draft is paramount.  Need as many picks as they can get.

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Running back is low on the priority list. We have two backs on rookie deals. I’m sure they’ll grab a free agent but I don’t see them drafting one 

So....... to get by the Chiefs,,,, how are you going to convince them NOT to double team our wide receivers OR to not do a straight, "ears pinned back" pass rush?

The danger in playing a man-to-man pass defence is that the DB will be watching the WR and not see the ball coming and will not see the running back running downfield at all. 

The danger in an all out pass rush is that it leaves big gaps in the center of the line for the RB or QB.   If the RB is fast and the LB's have been schemed away or are outrun, you have a big chunk of yardage.

Can we bribe them to play into our hands on this?

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

So....... to get by the Chiefs,,,, how are you going to convince them NOT to double team our wide receivers OR to not do a straight, "ears pinned back" pass rush?

The danger in playing a man-to-man pass defence is that the DB will be watching the WR and not see the ball coming and will not see the running back running downfield at all. 

The danger in an all out pass rush is that it leaves big gaps in the center of the line for the RB or QB.   If the RB is fast and the LB's have been schemed away or are outrun, you have a big chunk of yardage.

Can we bribe them to play into our hands on this?

I didn’t say we shouldn’t run the ball. 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I didn’t say we shouldn’t run the ball. 

OK.  But what I see missing is that really fast RB or guy like #10, who is so fast that the defences have to worry about a big chunk from a missed tackle. More important is that all the pursuit angles and where the defence is positioned on the field become different with such a guy. .. ... ....  Remember how the Bills used McKenzie to replicate Lamar Jackson in the prep to the Ravens game.  We don't have that type of running threat and it changes a LOT of things.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

OK.  But what I see missing is that really fast RB or guy like #10, who is so fast that the defences have to worry about a big chunk from a missed tackle. More important is that all the pursuit angles and where the defence is positioned on the field become different with such a guy. .. ... ....  Remember how the Bills used McKenzie to replicate Lamar Jackson in the prep to the Ravens game.  We don't have that type of running threat and it changes a LOT of things.

But there’s a lot of those guys available and they don’t cost a draft pick. Some will even be very cheap if not signed before the draft. We just need a 5-10 touch guy. It’s not like they’re going to throw away moss and singletary. Maybe motor gets cut or inactive some next year but they’re not gonna get rid of both. So basically you need a compliment to moss. 

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Running back is low on the priority list. We have two backs on rookie deals. I’m sure they’ll grab a free agent but I don’t see them drafting one 

I could not disagree more. We have no running game and the "two backs on rookie deals" are not explosive or even good. Being on rookie deals is not enough to stay on the 53.

Lack of run production is why we were limited in the playoffs. Playmakers, playmakers, playmakers.

We need 'em to keep up with the Mahomes'

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I could not disagree more. We have no running game and the "two backs on rookie deals" are not explosive or even good. Being on rookie deals is not enough to stay on the 53.

Lack of run production is why we were limited in the playoffs. Playmakers, playmakers, playmakers.

The running back free agent list looks quite good this offseason. And some will come on the cheap if not signed before the draft. 
It’s not ALL talent, some has to go on scheme and blocking. Jamal williams in Green Bay had a slowish 40 yet looks extremely fast on the field. 
There’s a reason San Fran can pull any guy off the street and rush them 100+ yards every game. Jeff Wilson might be available in free agency and he’s coming off a solid season. 
To say our guys are just not good is a little extreme. Others have pointed out repeatedly our run blocking is not good. Having a first round running back is not going to matter if we can’t run block. 
A first round running back didn’t win that game for KC last night (he definitely won the regular season game though) 

There are a lot of ways to attack the problem and I’m confident they’ll address it 

22 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

The Bills were less limited in the playoffs than 28 of the 32 other NFL teams.  Is the goal to build an offense that scores more than 38 points in playoff games? historically speaking that is a tall order.  

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Bills were less limited in the playoffs than 28 of the 32 other NFL teams.  Is the goal to build an offense that scores more than 38 points in playoff games? historically speaking that is a tall order.  

Offense averaged somewhere around 20 in the playoffs.

Historically speaking, scoring 22 pts avg is not winning many playoff games.

I don't understand why some are digging in and acting like everything is fine. This offense was figured out in the last few weeks.

It's been quite awhile since we averaged 38 and that was my point- where did it go?

Those against Najee Harris... the dude is an elite receiving back.  Think Alvin Kamara type receiving skill.  He’s the perfect back for this offense.  

He would have lit up KC out of the backfield on short dump offs last night.   Alabama made a living off him doing that while teams tried to take away their WR’s. 

I’m typically dead set against high round RB’s, but not for him.  

We need another weapon not named WR... I doubt an impact TE is there when we draft.    Pitts definitely isn’t lasting long.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Offense averaged somewhere around 20 in the playoffs.

Historically speaking, scoring 22 pts avg is not winning many playoff games.

I don't understand why some are digging in and acting like everything is fine. This offense was figured out in the last few weeks.

It's been quite awhile since we averaged 38 and that was my point- where did it go?

You missed my point. The defense forced one punt and allowed 38 points. We are going to lose almost every playoff game that happens.  This also means the offense started in bad position evey possession.  The bigger gap between the chiefs and bills is on the defensive side of the ball. 

Lastly. Not sure the bills were figured out. They lost Moss. Beasley Davis and  Brown were all gimpy coming into the game and after the illegal body slam on Diggs his effectiveness was reduced.   

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

You missed my point. The defense forced one punt and allowed 38 points. We are going to lose almost every playoff game that happens.  This also means the offense started in bad position evey possession.  The bigger gap between the chiefs and bills is on the defensive side of the ball. 

Lastly. Not sure the bills were figured out. They lost Moss. Beasley Davis and  Brown were all gimpy coming into the game and after the illegal body slam on Diggs his effectiveness was reduced.   

Absolutely the defense needs to play ALOT better. Special teams, play calling, in-game management. You can't win a game giving up 38. But much like the offense needs field position and stops, the defense needs the offense to sustain drives. It's not as cut and dry as saying "the d gave up 38".

Our offense was figured out in that we are one dimensional. Many gimpy players? Sure, but if we had any semblance of a run game it wouldn't be dire straits everytime a wr gets banged up. Josh and Stefon can't do it on their own. An explosive back who can catch out of the backfield would put this offense on another stratosphere (along with a good/great TE).

Overall we need more weapons and RB is the most glaring hole. They lost moss but he was far from a game breaker when healthy, and even at his best- "explosive" will never describe him. 

10 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Hopefully the Clemson RB or N Harris falls to 30. 

100%.  Go get a RB that can keep defenses honest.  Watching Yeldon catch a ball out of the flat yesterday and run straight into a CB that was being blocked was so depressing. What should’ve been a 30 yard gain was a 6 yard gain.  A dynamic RB would’ve changed a lot yesterday.  

Pitts, TE.  A game wrecker if he is there.  He’s projected around 10th.  Look at what the best TE, Kelce did to us.  We have a bunch of needs, and I’ll agree we can improve at CB, D Line, and so on.  We won with offense this year.  Keep building it.  I thought they missed with passing on Hooper to Cleveland.

Knox is a good role player, but he’s not the answer.  How many top teams have a game wrecking TE?  So as a brief example, you have Kelce, Gronk, Brate, and before he went out, Howard.  This is the new NFL. 

Just a thought, but it’s still an emotional thought so we’ll see in a few months.  In perspective, we went 13-3 in a better than difficult schedule, + two playoff wins.  We had a good season.  We can purge a number of guys, and there is an argument to defense, speed on offense and so on.  The one thing Allen hasn’t had is a $ TE and beat with speed and size.

Im very hopeful on Hodgins next year for a second big WR.  

Offensive skill player, edge rusher, db.  Based off how the draft will fall I think Buffalo takes an edge rusher.  I think a few guys with elite traits will be available.  If someone like Waddle falls due to his ankle that would be good.