Jordan Palmer on OBL says Allen has no ceiling and is most-gifted QB ever

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

These guys are his clients, so he's gonna talk them up, but I still agree. Josh is a true superstar, based on the Dawkins definition 😄

The sky is the limit.

I mean, I think even the skeptics thought he had just about the strongest arm. Now he’s established himself as mobile in the Nfl. 

On raw gifts, he’s in rarified air. It’ll just be a matter of how consistent he can become in mechanics and decisions

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He also said Darnold was really good so uhh...

And I think he's right. If Daboll and McDermott had a couple of seasons with him I'd bet he would show vast improvement. He has had little to no help. He has had tons of turnover in the roster and with coaches and schemes.

I think Darnold could be a top 15 QB if not higher if he was built up instead of destroyed.

17 hours ago, Logic said:

Say what you want about Jordan Palmer being biased or giving good PR because he works with Josh but...

I 100% agree with him on one point: I believe that Josh Allen is the most physically gifted quarterback in NFL history. I don't take that statement lightly, and I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, and I don't feel it's an exaggeration. His combination of arm strength, size, speed mobility, and raw athleticism have no equal that I can think of in NFL history. The guys I CAN think of are Hall of Famers. Steve Young? John Elway? I'm not saying that he'll be as good as those guys or that he'll be the BEST quarterback in history -- though he might. But physically? I really do think he is the most physically gifted ever at the position. And he's 24 and he's a Buffalo Bill. Truly awesome.

I think there have been plenty of QB's with physical gifts as good or even better than Allen apart from maybe arm strength (but maybe Jamarcus Russell even had a stronger arm).

What sets Allen apart is the combination of three things: 1) His physical skill set, as mentioned, 2) His mental acuity (he had a very high wonderlic score and can process things quickly, plus he is just generally a sharp dude), and 3) His work ethic, maybe combined with his humble nature that allows him to get the most out of his work ethic because he is his number 1 critic.

Combine that with his competitive fire, penchant for leadership and support of his teammates, and drive to be the best and you have a Super QB.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I there have been plenty of QB's with physical gifts as good or even better than Allen apart from maybe arm strength (but maybe Jamarcus Russell even had a stronger arm).

What sets Allen apart is the combination of three things: 1) His physical skill set, as mentioned, 2) His mental acuity (he had a very high wonderlic score and can process things quickly, plus he is just generally a sharp dude), and 3) His work ethic, maybe combined with his humble nature that allows him to get the most out of his work ethic because he is his number 1 critic.

Combine that with his competitive fire, penchant for leadership and support if his teammates, and drive to be the best and you have a Super QB.

Jemarcus Russell was a good example BUT was very slow, he 40 time was 5.2.  Beyond his intellect, substance abuse habits and work ethic that is a huge difference.

I think Josh Allen got out of High School with a 4.0 FWIW.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

He also said Darnold was really good so uhh...

I think Darnold could STILL be good. He and Rosen had terrible situations and pure bad luck. Darnold doesn't have Allen or Jackson's physical gifts but I think under the right conditions he could be as good as Mayfield and be a decent starter for years to come. At worst, a very good back-up. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't think Darnold is a bad QB. He had his career screwed by a terrible coach. He was never plug and play like people said, he just needed some development. I still think he could be a good QB. Hope the Jets trade him and he pulls a Tannenhill in the NFC.

SF with Shanahan - book it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

I there have been plenty of QB's with physical gifts as good or even better than Allen apart from maybe arm strength (but maybe Jamarcus Russell even had a stronger arm).

Combine that with his competitive fire, penchant for leadership and support if his teammates, and drive to be the best and you have a Super QB.

As far as humble nature, I think he conducts himself well and says the right things in the media, and when he's talking about his coaches and teammates I think he means it, but he also strikes me as someone who's carrying a pretty big chip on his shoulder given everything he had to go through to get where he is. He's good natured about it, but he gives it back to the media when they ask him about everything that's been said about him prior to this season. I don't remember who it was or what he said verbatim, but earlier this season a reporter was asking him something about what was reported on him coming out of college and instead of answering the question he interjected with "What'd YOU write about me" with a cocky smirk.

59 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He also said that Darnold would get a drill right one time and then stop working on it and Allen would work on the same drill for 15-20 more snaps after he got it right.  I believe this was during an interview on Cowherd or Eisen last season that he said it.

That's a good way for Josh Allen to learn. Repetition builds muscle memory.

59 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's more than a few extenuating circumstances when it comes to Darnold. He has, at times, looked the part. While I'm not guaranteeing a change of scenery will completely change the script - I'm also not willing to say that he was a sure fire Palmer failure, at this point.

Once the Jets no longer were able to get the first pick in the draft (and the opportunity to draft Trevor Lawrence), I immediately thought that they would go after Daboll as their HC because of Daboll's involvement in Josh's development with the thought that he could do the same think with Darnold.

I hope we do not lose Daboll to the Jets.  I would much rather see him go elsewhere if he gets a HC opportunity.

Weather or not Allen will continue to improve (which, seems hard to do based on where he’s been for two months), the conversation around him pre-draft was always that he was the best physical specimen to play QB. No doubt about that. Take him to a lab and he had every attribute you want. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

He also said that Darnold would get a drill right one time and then stop working on it and Allen would work on the same drill for 15-20 more snaps after he got it right.  I believe this was during an interview on Cowherd or Eisen last season that he said it.

I think this is a huge component to Allen's success, his self-motivation to be the best and stay the best.  People enjoy debating coaching influence, intelligence, etc. but I wonder how many unsuccessful NFL QB's worked as relentlessly at it as Allen?  Doesn't sound like Darnold is.  More importantly, our FO put a lot of weight in this quality and now it's paying off handsomely.