Tua benched again - will start in Buffalo week 17

YoloinOhio

I guess Flores is lucky he has Fitz to fall back on. I really thought it was like a rule with head coaches and young QBs that once you give them the keys, you don't take them back at the first sign of trouble. Honestly, Flores deserves all sorts of criticism for his decisions regarding his starting quarterback. I mean, Fitz was playing fine and there's nothing wrong with having your rookie sit behind your vet for a season to see how it's done. Plus, he makes the switch while they're playing well and winning games. To me, that tells me he lacks some forethought into what kind of message he's sending his team with these kinds of decisions. So far this season, he's basically said, "Fitz is our guy, Tua is our future! Hey, look at that, we're winning and in the playoff race and Fitz has done marvelous. Sit down, Fitz! Tua is now our guy! Wait. What's that, he's not doing so hot? Well, we still won sooo...Tua is our guy!! Uh oh...adversity...Tua isn't doing so good...uh...umm...okay, Fitz is our guy!! Oh, phew, he bailed us out, so that means... Tua is our guy!!" 

I mean, if Tua is your future then you have to roll with it, good or bad. Every time the kid makes a mistake he's gonna be wondering if he's getting benched instead of focusing on the next play. Personally, I don't have a great feeling on Tua. Of course, we never really know how it's all gonna turn out but at this stage, when I watch him play I'm just not seeing it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Flores, feels that this is how a HC grooms a new QB, not that His experience with the pats had a lot of that going on what with Tawmy not wanting an QB of the future on the roster... 

On 12/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I’ve stated this before and I don’t care how unorthodox this is.  If you want to give him downs, but aren’t really playing him, let Barkley start one series, then do Allen for whatever, and then put Barkley back in.

no reason in the world to be credited with a loss for two series of play.

No reason to care.

And if Allen started and only threw a handful of passes, was taken out and we lost, Allen wouldn't be credited with the loss. Losses are team stats, always.

That's why the real name of that stat is NOT "QB wins," or anything like it. The real name of that stat is, "TEAM record in games started by this QB (regular season)," my capital and bolds.

19 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This feels like the Dolphin version of Flutie vs Johnson.  Hopefully it blows up in their face like it did with the Bills. 

Tua is a baby compared to RJ, much less Flutie. Johnson had three years on the bench in Jax, including only 35 passes thrown, before he even got here.

Tua is a child. He doesn't fit either guy in that comparison. Maybe he will in a year or two.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No reason to care.

And if Allen started and only threw a handful of passes, was taken out and we lost, Allen wouldn't be credited with the loss. Losses are team stats, always.

That's why the real name of that stat is NOT "QB wins," or anything like it. The real name of that stat is, "TEAM record in games started by this QB (regular season)," my capital and bolds.

He is credited with the loss in the game last year against the Jets where he threw 5 passes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/gamelog/2019/

The best thing the Bills can do is dominate defensively against Tua and force Miami to spend way more time than it needs deciding which QB to go into the wild card with.  They simply cannot take another bad performance from Tua and expect to have any steam rolling into the playoffs.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:27 PM, BullBuchanan said:

It's like we're watching the Flutie Curse unfold in real time for the Dolphins. What the hell is Flores doing?

Its clear Tua is not ready. In a season when the rest of the team seems good enough for the playoff spot, Flores should have stuck with Fitz till he again regresses to his pick-throwing ways. My sense is that Gailey has crafted an offense to keep him out of those situations. Flores should never have named Tua as a starter before he was ready. Its tough to plan an offense and game plan in general with a constant switching of QBs with different styles

On 12/27/2020 at 12:23 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Miami with Fitz is as respectable as any other team not named KC IMO. Probably better than the Ravens. With Tua they are the worst team in the dance. 

I am just blown away at how the media is so supportive of what flores is doing over there. Not starting Fitz should have cost them their season...it took an absolute miracle for them to win that raiders game.  But somehow he is a genius for playing the worse qb 75% of the game and then pulling him

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm no longer worried about Miami. For us to play them in the wildcard round Steelers would have to win and Bills would have to win. I'm not expecting Mason Rudolph to beat the Browns in a game that the Browns know they need to win.

I wouldn't be shocked. The browns are out a lot of players right now and they're coming off a loss to the Jets. The Browns also have a history of playing their worst when it matters most.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm no longer worried about Miami. For us to play them in the wildcard round Steelers would have to win and Bills would have to win. I'm not expecting Mason Rudolph to beat the Browns in a game that the Browns know they need to win.

They just lost to the Jets....