Something often unnoticed but vitally important -- RB Blitz Pickups have been fantastic

Big Turk

This often flies under the radar, but Allen could not be having he success he is having without the RB's being so great in their blitz pickups.  

According to PFF, both Moss and Singletary have only allowed a single QB pressure each in blitz pickup situations, with Singletary having 72 of them and Moss 45.  That is outstanding considering  Singletary was NOT good in this last year and Moss is a true rookie, and that is usually the toughest thing for them to come in and be good at.

So while the running game might not be firing on all cylinders yet, they are a BIG reason why the passing game is.

• Like (+1) 24
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I haven't always noticed Singletary, but I have noticed Moss.  I've been pretty impressed with Moss in this regard.  He doesn't get bowled over.  He pretty much goes grill to grill.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

I haven't always noticed Singletary, but I have noticed Moss.

That's funny, because Singletary is the one I've noticed. On pick ups he absolutely throws himself into the blitzer. He creates an act of violence - probably because he isn't a big guy and needs to. Regardless, he is enthusiastic about doing his job and protecting Josh.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

That's funny, because Singletary is the one I've noticed. On pick ups he absolutely throws himself into the blitzer. He creates an act of violence - probably because he isn't a big guy and needs to. Regardless, he is enthusiastic about doing his job and protecting Josh.

Yeah I think both of them are great here.  Singletary clearly is giving everything he has to protect Josh, Moss looks a little more like he's itching to hit someone. 

Despite the lack of gaudy stats from our RB duo, i'm pretty happy to have them

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This often flies under the radar, but Allen could not be having he success he is having without the RB's being so great in their blitz pickups.  

According to PFF, both Moss and Singletary have only allowed a single QB pressure each in blitz pickup situations, with Singletary having 72 of them and Moss 45.  That is outstanding considering  Singletary was NOT good in this last year and Moss is a true rookie, and that is usually the toughest thing for them to come in and be good at.

So while the running game might not be firing on all cylinders yet, they are a BIG reason why the passing game is.

It's not just that they're picking up the blitz, it's who they're picking up.  Moss had a blitz pickup against Bosa in the 49'ers game where he just LEVELED him.  Bam.  It was FredEx-like.

Singletary had a pickup in the Pitts. game that really impressed me though I'm blanking on who it was.

But agreed, Singletary was bad last year and Moss being a rookie, it's great to see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Moss’s pass blocking was one thing that really impressed me while watching him before the draft. He was stonewalling DEs and LBs reliably. It was impressive. He was also pretty good the few times I saw him lead blocking for QB sweeps. 

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I haven't always noticed Singletary, but I have noticed Moss.  I've been pretty impressed with Moss in this regard.  He doesn't get bowled over.  He pretty much goes grill to grill.

Opposite for me. Singletary has made some tremendous blocks this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just that they're picking up the blitz, it's who they're picking up.  Moss had a blitz pickup against Bosa in the 49'ers game where he just LEVELED him.  Bam.  It was FredEx-like.

Singletary had a pickup in the Pitts. game that really impressed me though I'm blanking on who it was.

But agreed, Singletary was bad last year and Moss being a rookie, it's great to see.

If I'm Bosa's physical therapist I'm sending Moss a gift... extra work on those thighs and groin area:wub:

I think they've both been good, and I've noticed both.

Probably helps that there isn't a clear #1 RB between the two. If I had to guess, I'd say the coaches are emphasizing that pass blocking is one of the main things that will determine who gets more snaps. Looks like both have been stepping up.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think this was a very big part of why Gore got so many snaps early last season. Singletary sat and learned from one of the best, a pro’s pro. It burned Gore out, but Singletary was learning what it took to be successful. 

Thurman wasn’t a huge guy, but watching him pick up a blitz was a work of art! 

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Great topic.  Considering their experience they have been phenomenal.  

I feel like as a RB you just need to read one side with allen as he is so good at avoiding pressure. 

16 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Great observation Matter. I thought I was seeing that in the games, glad the stats confirm what I thought I was seeing.