Ravens Win. Good news for the Bills

peterlaw

Honestly, I don't feel like there is any AFC team in playoff contention, right now (with the possible exception of KC) that has a huge advantage on us.  We all know, it is a "week to week" league.  What was true of a team one week, might not be true the next week.  When the Bills are playing to their potential, they can beat any of these teams.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Honestly, I don't feel like there is any AFC team in playoff contention, right now (with the possible exception of KC) that has a huge advantage on us.  We all know, it is a "week to week" league.  What was true of a team one week, might not be true the next week.  When the Bills are playing to their potential, they can beat any of these teams.

It might be a long shot now but I am hoping the Raiders get in as the #7 seed. If they can win on WC weekend then they would face the Chiefs. Those two teams hate each other with a passion. Even though KC is the better team the Raiders match up well with them. They almost swept them this year so maybe they could knock them off in the divisional round.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It might be a long shot now but I am hoping the Raiders get in as the #7 seed. If they can win on WC weekend then they would face the Chiefs. Those two teams hate each other with a passion. Even though KC is the better team the Raiders match up well with them. They almost swept them this year so maybe they could knock them off in the divisional round.

I may be wrong, but I have a hunch the wheels are about to fall off in Las Vegas.  Firing your DC after a game, in the midst of race for a playoff spot..and your playing a game 4 days later?  Sounds like some dysfunction going on there... but who knows?  You are right though...they not only beat the Chiefs once this year, they gave them a really good game their second matchup as well.  

Addicted to the "playoff machine" on ESPN.  As of now, I have us finishing as the second seed (we win our remaining 3 games, Steelers lose to the Colts...we get the tie-breaker with both teams at 13-3) with us playing Tennessee or Baltimore in the first round.  

1 hour ago, Lv-Bills said:

The Dolphins won't be in the playoffs.  The Ravens will easily pass them.

Not gonna happen.  If the Steelers win one more game, the Bills will automatically have something to play for in Week 17.  The Steelers will win one more game this week vs. Cincy.  The Ravens will easily be in the playoffs.  Miami is in deep trouble.

Don't forget if the Bills lose this week, or more realistically in NE in week 16 and the Steelers win this week and against the Colts at home in week 16; the Bills will not be playing week 17 with a chance at #2 seed. The only caveat is the #3 or #4 seed could be in play if Tennessee is able to win in GB. I'm not sure the seed is enough to make a huge difference, it could also be moot. If that's the case the Ravens could be in trouble provided Miami takes care of business.

• Like (+1) 1

Ya , I'd definitely like to see Pitt in divisional round over Tenn/KC but anything can happen WC weekend.  I'm guessing Cle, Indy and Bal make WC. Clevelands running game scares me.  Hoping we play Indy in WC round.  Either way,  it's going to be a tough road but we're battle tested and 7 of our 10 wins is against teams. 500 or better, guessing the most in the league 

Lost to Ari/KC by 11 points combined.  

Our only bad loss is Tenn when we were preparing for them and KC and played on a Tuesday. 

Go Bills!

11 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Don't forget if the Bills lose this week, or more realistically in NE in week 16 and the Steelers win this week and against the Colts at home in week 16; the Bills will not be playing week 17 with a chance at #2 seed. The only caveat is the #3 or #4 seed could be in play if Tennessee is able to win in GB. I'm not sure the seed is enough to make a huge difference, it could also be moot. If that's the case the Ravens could be in trouble provided Miami takes care of business.

Expecting the Colts to beat the Steelers in week 16.  So that will give the Bills a realistic shot at the No 2 seed if they can take care of business.  The difference between 3 & 4 seed is significant.  At No 4 will likely mean a trip to KC in the Divisional round.  No 3 seed avoids potential KC until the Championship game.  

If someone else knocks off KC in the Divisional Round then we have a chance of hosting the AFC Championship game at the Ralph !

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, peterlaw said:

Expecting the Colts to beat the Steelers in week 16.  So that will give the Bills a realistic shot at the No 2 seed if they can take care of business.  The difference between 3 & 4 seed is significant.  At No 4 will likely mean a trip to KC in the Divisional round.  No 3 seed avoids potential KC until the Championship game.  

If someone else knocks off KC in the Divisional Round then we have a chance of hosting the AFC Championship game at the Ralph !

Good point about KC, still much to happen at this point.

4 hours ago, peterlaw said:

Wildcard won’t be easy.  Lots of good teams.  Best options look to be Colts or Dolphins or Raiders.  Worst options Titans, Ravens or Browns (run heavy teams).  But for the Divisional round you couldn’t ask for better than the Steelers.

There are some really good AFC teams that won't make the playoffs.  That bubble group of teams can beat any of the AFC teams.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Do we though?  I haven’t been too worried about teams running on us for a few weeks now. 

Our defense is getting healthy and rounding into shape.  

Agree.

The key for us is get John Brown back, continue to run 4-wide sets, and keep Allen in the groove. 

Because the threat of the run (Mostert/Connor) disappears when the Bills offense is on fire and scoring. 

4 hours ago, peterlaw said:

Wildcard won’t be easy.  Lots of good teams.  Best options look to be Colts or Dolphins or Raiders.  Worst options Titans, Ravens or Browns (run heavy teams).  But for the Divisional round you couldn’t ask for better than the Steelers.

I would prefer the satisfaction of knocking the fins out of the playoffs on week 17!

27 minutes ago, peterlaw said:

Of course, the Ralph is just another TV studio this season.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. Can't say Baltimore losing any of their last 3. 

They'll be the 6th or 7th seed. 

Agree that you would expect Baltimore to win their last 3 to get to 11-5 but thats no guarantee they will be in the play offs.

They need some help by another team losing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The only teams I don't want to play in the first round is Cleveland and Tennessee. Their run game is difficult to stop. Against the Ravens you can load up the box and make Lamar best you with his arm. Baker and Tannehill can actually throw the ball. 

Baker puzzles me.  He made some grade-A throws last night.  He also laid some eggs.

5 hours ago, peterlaw said:

Some were hoping for a Browns win to seal a super early Play Off spot for the Bills.

But a Browns loss all but confirms the Steelers as AFCN champs with their next game against the Bengals.
Steelers will get seeded 2 or 3 if Bills can leapfrog.

So if Bills stay at 3 seed (or get to 2) that means if we can get through the Wildcard round the Divisional game will be against Steelers.

Steelers seem to be the weakest potential opponent of any of the AFC contenders.

Lots can change but that’s not a bad scenario for the Bills.

#GoBills

agreed.  i think wild card weekend would be a more difficult game than a rematch with the steelers in the 2nd round.  sign me up for a game against pittsburgh home or away any time

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

The Bills need to keep winning for two reasons.  To stay up in the #2 or #3 seed in order to miss a possibility of playing the Chiefs until Round 3.  Very important.  Don't think for a moment they don't realize that.  Next, they need to keep winning for home field against Pittsburgh.  And again, with or without fans, of course that's important as well to stay in the comforts of their own environment for two more weeks in the playoffs.  That alone should give them pretty good incentive against two weak teams the next two weeks.

And lastly, the Bills will be heavy favorites against both the Broncos and Patriots.  Your analogy is like counting on the Ravens to lose to the Jags and Bengals and thus Miami gets in.  But if the Bills would happen to lose one game, they still need to keep playing to stay in front of Tennessee (or if they fall into a tie, to stay with Tennessee to try and jump them again) and that likely will carry on through week 17.  Your scenario is pretty far fetched....but yes, it does make sense.  

8 hours ago, Casey D said:

Given the schedules, it would be a big upset if Colts/Titans, Ravens or Browns are not the three wild card teams.  Cleveland has two easy games, Ravens three.  Miami Raiders and Pats are toast.

Thinking the same.

• The Ravens winning last night was absolutely huge for their playoff chances.  Their last three games (Jacksonville, New York Giants and Cincinnati) are pushovers.  It's very likely they now finish 11-5.
  • Looking at the Titans, Colts and Browns, it's also hard to picture any of them going worse than 2-1 down the stretch.  That would put all of them at 11-5 as well.

At this point, 10-6 very likely won't be enough to squeeze into the AFC playoffs. 

The Raiders will need to hope for a total collapse from one of the above teams, or even a 3-0 finish simply won't be enough to get them in.

That also means that Miami will need a 3-0 finish to get in.  That could be very tough with games against New England, Las Vegas and Buffalo.

On a side note, I'm curious how much value the Bills coaching staff puts on seeding this year (with no fans in the stands).  They can clinch the AFC East with a victory on Saturday against the Broncos.  And if Kansas City beats the Taysom Hill-led Saints, we cannot realistically get to the #1 seed.  Which means the Pats/Dolphins games only have value if they want higher seeding in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

On the radio here in Ohio this morning one of the guys said he wouldn't be concerned with a Bills matchup for the Browns because Josh has been really shaky most of this year.....

I've played around with the ESPN Playoff Machine, and came up with the Bills getting the #2 seed and playing the Browns.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Thinking the same.

• The Ravens winning last night was absolutely huge for their playoff chances.  Their last three games (Jacksonville, New York Giants and Cincinnati) are pushovers.  It's very likely they now finish 11-5.
  • Looking at the Titans, Colts and Browns, it's also hard to picture any of them going worse than 2-1 down the stretch.  That would put all of them at 11-5 as well.

At this point, 10-6 very likely won't be enough to squeeze into the AFC playoffs. 

The Raiders will need to hope for a total collapse from one of the above teams, or even a 3-0 finish simply won't be enough to get them in.

That also means that Miami will need a 3-0 finish to get in.  That could be very tough with games against New England, Las Vegas and Buffalo.

On a side note, I'm curious how much value the Bills coaching staff puts on seeding this year (with no fans in the stands).  They can clinch the AFC East with a victory on Saturday against the Broncos.  And if Kansas City beats the Taysom Hill-led Saints, we cannot realistically get to the #1 seed.  Which means the Pats/Dolphins games only have value if they want higher seeding in the playoffs.

I've played around with the ESPN Playoff Machine, and came up with the Bills getting the #2 seed and playing the Browns.

Good stuff.  10-6 likely will win AFC East however.

15 hours ago, peterlaw said:

Completely agree.  We want to play Indy, Vegas or the Tua's. We'll destroy any of those 3. I think if we were to play the Titans again we beat them in a close game. But the Ravens & Browns have rbs and an RB like qb who pose problems. 

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The Bills can go toe to toe with any team in the league. Let alone in the AFC playoffs. 

There isn’t a team that scares me in the AFC. 

Not scared of any of them. But not assuming we automatically beat anyone either. Each game comes down to the Bills playing solid and smart. If we do no question in my mind we can meet KC in AFC championship.
Getting the 2nd seed could really be big. Even without the fans ( painful), I don’t think the AFC is real excited about the cold and JA. That’s a scary combo along with an improving D and ST.