In Defense of Levi Wallace

Not popular with many, but I think he is very under-appreciated.  Is he an athletic freak?  No.  Is he smart, in position and a team fit?  Absolutely.  

The rise in the defense has coincided with the return of Wallace.  Is he the sole cause?  No.  But it is not pure coincidence either.  He has been a big upgrade since his return.

Plus, how many DBs post their cell number and call back EVERY person that calls them??  We have to get behind Levi a little, IMHO.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree.  Love Levi. He’s not great but he seems to get going when the going gets tough.  I’m used to that interception being called DPI, but he played it confidently and aggressive.  Huge play.  

Another thumbs up to Taron Johnson. After a rough start to the year, where I was extremely critical of him, he’s completely turned his season around.  Let’s hope he doesn’t miss any time.  His resurgence has been a key in our Ds resurgence 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m ok with him. He needs to be upgraded but there’s a lot of teams feeling the same way about CB#2. There’s bigger problems on the team for sure 

You upgrade CB2 which I think they should do, you're probably losing something somewhere else. Maybe not in equivalent measures, but you're using resources on it. In terms of priority, I'd say it's maybe the 3rd or 4th position I'm concerned about. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  Love Levi. He’s not great but he seems to get going when the going gets tough.  I’m used to that interception being called DPI, but he played it confidently and aggressive.  Huge play.  

Another thumbs up to Taron Johnson. After a rough start to the year, where I was extremely critical of him, he’s completely turned his season around.  Let’s hope he doesn’t miss any time.  His resurgence has been a key in our Ds resurgence 

same. I have been really critical of Taron and Levi (especially Taron). But what a play by both guys! Those were big-time plays on the ball.  

levi seems to be in good position and plays the ball well— he just is a step slow. We saw it on the TD and the INT— thankfully the INT was thrown late. But great play on the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

After last week's nightmare, Levi Wallace had hisself a day today.  2 PD's and 1 huge INT to basically seal the game.  The TD is not all his fault, given that the Squeelers got the ball on our 30, and Micah Hayde was just a step late on the inside help.  Nice bounceback from a really bad game from him against the 49ers.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Yeah, I cut him slack here. Great pick, but I will say it seemed like he was in shock after the catch. I was yelling at the TV... Run!!!!

I think he knew he was down by contact but ended up doing a return just in case.

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Shannon doesn't agree

I assume this was after the James Washington TD which was a really bad play for Levi.  He got spun all the way around.

Today’s interceptions were needed. They sent a message to the league that “you can’t just play keep away from Tre.” Plus, swag factor. Giving Wallace and Johnson some extra confidence to trust their judgement will pay dividends as well. Loved seeing them show up big when all 👀 were on this team. Doesn’t hurt that Tre played damn well too. 

40 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Not popular with many, but I think he is very under-appreciated.  Is he an athletic freak?  No.  Is he smart, in position and a team fit?  Absolutely.  

The rise in the defense has coincided with the return of Wallace.  Is he the sole cause?  No.  But it is not pure coincidence either.  He has been a big upgrade since his return.

Plus, how many DBs post their cell number and call back EVERY person that calls them??  We have to get behind Levi a little, IMHO.

Wallace had himself a Game tonight, no doubt.

Leslie Frazier has said it, in response to the media commenting earlier in the season that Wallace was being picked on: "He needs to make some plays, then he won't be picked on so much"

Tonight he made plays, in addition to  the pick he had a pass defense that could have been a pick-6 (3 total).  Good game for Levi.

44 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

same. I have been really critical of Taron and Levi (especially Taron). But what a play by both guys! Those were big-time plays on the ball.  

levi seems to be in good position and plays the ball well— he just is a step slow. We saw it on the TD and the INT— thankfully the INT was thrown late. But great play on the ball. 

These two have frustrated the hell out of me, but tonight they were flat out heroes. 

39 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think he knew he was down by contact but ended up doing a return just in case.

I assume this was after the James Washington TD which was a really bad play for Levi.  He got spun all the way around.

SS is so up to speed. Yup he got turned on that play. Then played solid rest of the game. Where was tweet after pic? 

I want him upgraded next year but it isn't his fault. He is playing the absolute best that he can considering his athletic profile. His technique and knowledge of the defense are great. He just won't ever be a player you can rely on every week and I believe the Bills can do better.

Lot of upgrade talk, but I don’t think it’s as easy as many think. Unless you are going to invest a pretty hefty coin he’s not that easily upgraded imo. Looking around the league I don’t see a lot of great corners. You can draft high and hope but I don’t think many rookies can step in and play at Wallace’s level. He’s not an all pro but he is a serviceable starter and many teams don’t have one of those. We will obviously add to that group but I’m not positive we’ll upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1