Could John Brown be Released Next Off-Season?

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Hell, I would possibly even give my left nut if there was a way we could get Star back for this team in the playoffs to be just a little more stout in the middle.  

Tangential question:  Why do folks always offer their "left nut"?  

Is it like putting your "best foot forward", or is Rightie so much better that Leftie can serve as a spare?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it like putting your "best foot forward", or is Rightie so much better that Leftie can serve as a spare?

For me it is because I am right nut dominant.  If I lose it I’m worried I’d end up walking around in circles from an equilibrium imbalance.

• Haha (+1) 1

I seriously doubt the Bills want to open a hole where there does not need to be one.  If judgement is that Brown’s injuries are behind him and will not affect him going forward, then he will be here.  Davis cannot provide the speed that Brown does.  

Edited by FLFan

9 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

Morse's salary next year is $10,375,000 with a dead cap of $5,500,000. 2022 would be more favorable to release him with a $2,750,000 dead cap hit. 

So spend $13,125,000 to save $5,500,000?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's, on most men, the lower hanging fruit.

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think he either restructures fairly significantly as in pay cut or he's gone.  Cut Brown Morse, Butler, and Smith saves $22.1M   Cut Addison could save another $6.25M.  The $22M would allow them to resign Mongo, Milano, & Williamsand some mid range FA signings depending on the actual cap, maybe a legit edge rusher to replace Addison.

While they don't use WAR in football directly, thinking about it from that standpoint, IMO justifies cutting Brown and have Davis take his spot and McKenzie Hodgins takes Davis role.

To the comments about surrounding Allen with as many weapons, those weapons are Mongo, and Williams.  Think they need them more than Brown.

We have the best Bills team in 20+ years why would you want to ruin the continuity? Cut Butler, Smith and Addison but no reason to cut starters like Brown or Morse. 

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Good question.  I'm not sure what their agents think they are worth.  I bet they want multiple years contracts going forward.

True. That is a good point. 

I do think those guys are super team players though, it does need to rewarded somewhat.

McKenzie I believe I heard the story of once his tender wasnt signed, he told his agent that if the Bills still wanted him on the team, to get it done. Also Andre Roberts (and Marlowe) were cut at the very beginning of the season so the Bills could make some roster moves before resigning him. He could have signed anywhere, and Im sure beforehand it was like, "hey, we love you, do us this solid, and we will resign you asap!"

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think Davis has big time potential, but I'm not cutting John Brown after this year UNLESS they are planning on using his cap savings to help re-sign Feliciano, Williams & Milano, then draft a speed WR in the 1st Round.

This Offense is built around a solid OL, stud QB and 4 very good WR's.  The trade-off is average playmakers at RB & TE.  Can't have everything (unless you're KC apparently)..  4 good WR's is paramount to this Offense and allows us to still have 3, even when someone like Brown goes down for some games. 

Well said SC.  Brown’s not going anywhere.  If a person has eyes, they’ll see (not you) the difference when Brown is healthy in our offense, or similarly this like threads about Milano.  Look at healthy Milano playing and it makes our defense work.  We have a line looking like it’s coming together, and maybe we even see more running this week.

The key about this week is the Bills defense has been able to take away opposing offenses best thing like Henry to under 80 yards, etc.  What will they take away from the Steelers.  My thought is in The Bills will take Conner away as it’s his first post Covid IR and active, and make the Steelers needing to pass over 50 times, and have to take 8 minutes to actually matriculate the ball down the field.  We light their defense up with Allen’s big time throws and bingo bango, we win.

22 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Restructure is my guess. 

You can’t really restructure the last year of a contract.  You can extend it and lower the first year cap hit or you can ask a player to take a cut, but that’s about it except for cutting/trading the player.  The only possibility - and I’ve never seen this done on a one year deal or know if the league would approve it - would be to add voidable years to the current one year deal and pay out most of the salary as a signing bonus.  That would just kick some of the cap hit to next season while paying him the same.  I’d think him playing out his deal or an extension would be more likely. 

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've thought about it but I think they want to keep the continuity.  I  can honestly see Morse being released....does he have a big dead cap hit?

$5.5M dead cap, savings of $4.9M.  Morse is definitely a candidate to be cut (or traded).  The contract we signed him to was comfortably over market value at the time, but that happens in FA and I get why we did it.  He has been good overall, but probably not up to that contract (which was expected).  He hasn’t exactly had world beating OGs next to him and that makes it difficult on a C.

His concussion issues - which were a known risk at signing - have continued and that very well might be what tips the scales against him.  I think the Bills move on from him this offseason or next.  They can fill his spot with a slightly lesser player with less injury/concussion concerns for substantially less. 

8 hours ago, Motor26 said:

We have the best Bills team in 20+ years why would you want to ruin the continuity? Cut Butler, Smith and Addison but no reason to cut starters like Brown or Morse. 

Yes they have the best team in 20 years, but is it really good enough to win the Super Bowl and are they one of the top 4 teams in the league.  They need improvement at CB, LB, O-line ( five lineman are upcoming FA) TE so can't see how they can afford to keep everyone when you have replacements with little drop off in talent.  Throw in upcoming contracts to Allen, Edmunds, Hyde something needs to give. 

Brown was paid $8M at the time being looked at as the #1 WR on the team, now with Diggs here,  paying that much to a #2 WR doesn't seem very smart.  He may be back, but not on the existing contract, will likely need to take a big cut.  On the line could see it coming down to a choice between Feleciano or cutting Morse to pay for him.

I was surprised to see that the Bills have the 2nd most expensive roster in the league, behind the Colts, who are #1. 

I think some moves will be made in a few areas.

The Bills have, relative to the entire NFL (this is according to Spotrac):

the most expensive DL group

the 3rd most expensive DB group

the 4th most expensive WR corps

the 6th most expensive OL

12th most expensive TE group

Now, you might look at that and think Brown could be in trouble. However, this offense uses the WR a ton, and has gotten value and production for that investment, so I think they stick with them all. 

The Bills could allow the following contracts to expire, saving around 31.1 million:

Trent Murphy (saves $9 million)

Tyler Kroft  (saves 6.5 million)

Ty Nseke (saves $5 million)

Josh Norman (saves $6 million)

TJ Yeldon (saves 1.6 million)

Brian Winters (saves 3 million)

There will be money and cap space to work with, either way. When your team gets good, you've got to make tougher choices. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

13 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I was surprised to see that the Bills have the 2nd most expensive roster in the league, behind the Colts, who are #1. 

Now, you might look at that and think Brown could be in trouble. However, this offense uses the WR a ton, and has gotten value and production for that investment, so I think they stick with them all. 

The Bills could allow the following contracts to expire, saving around 31.1 million:

There will be money and cap space to work with, either way. When your team gets good, you've got to make tougher choices. 

Now those are logical contracts to look at vs production. While smoke is a significant threat who has to be accounted for. Any combination of these to keep smoke and Morse as well. OL depth is outstanding and part of the reason we are scoring 30 pts a game. 

14 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

You don't save cap room letting contracts expire,  TFP.

The prospective cap figure for the following year does not include expired contracts from the previous season.

14 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Interesting info.  

OL and WR will, and should, always be high cap hit areas for us, but DL will drop dramatically when we let Murphy walk and cut one (or both) of Butler/Jefferson.. DB will drop when we let Norman walk.. TE will drop when Kroft walks. 

On 12/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This ^^^ this right here is the sort of stuff that makes TSW  then best team forum ever! 

Hapless that was JFG,