AJ Klein named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

YoloinOhio

Congratulations to AJ. Well deserved for not just last week, but the previous couple of weeks as well.

While I didn't jump on the bandwagon of criticism, I would have to admit having been decidedly unimpressed with his play previously.

Credit, and some annoyance, should go to the coaching staff for actually now putting him in a position where his strengths are being used. The annoyance is for it taking as long as it did.

I think there's a genuine case to be made for having all 3 LBers on the field a lot more, when Milano returns, particularly against run heavy teams, where Milano could be dropped into coverage when the play calls for it.

4 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Credit, and some annoyance, should go to the coaching staff for actually now putting him in a position where his strengths are being used. The annoyance is for it taking as long as it did.

I think there's a genuine case to be made for having all 3 LBers on the field a lot more, when Milano returns, particularly against run heavy teams, where Milano could be dropped into coverage when the play calls for it.

Absolutely. And I'm eager to see how it shakes out when Milano is back (in terms of how and when they use Klein).

• Like (+1) 1

Congrats to him.  He is playing much better than he was early in the season.  Credit the coaching staff for changing the way they were using him.  They are playing more to his strengths and are trying to hide his weaknesses. 

Make no mistake about it, though......if Milano is healthy and ready to go, he plays and it isn't even close.  A good team with good coaching could easily find a way to exploit Klein as he is still below average in terms of athleticism.  Not knocking him or his improvement, though.  It will be good to have him and use him and his positives in certain situations, though.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He had a very good game, but this award is a joke.  Joey Bosa deserved that award, and it ain’t debatable.

Only winners get awards.

Maybe there's a second place ribbon lying around somewhere.

It took awhile but Frazier finally figured out that AJ is best suited as a "seek and destroy" player and not it coverage situations. He's been awesome in Blitz packages and keeping plays in front of him.

That one sack last game when he side stepped the blocker on his way to the QB was beautiful. 

8 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

My God.  Rex Ryan was right when he said..  The Bills Defense will improve as the season progresses  

First thing Rex got right about Defense and Bills in 6 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

He's a ferocious blitzer.

I'm convinced his turnaround and the D as a whole came when Edmunds got fully healthy. I want to say it was the Sea game where I noticed Edmunds looked way different 

10 minutes ago, CSBill said:

First thing Rex got right about Defense and Bills in 6 years.

Factual 

Happy they found a way to get him used to his strengths.  Now that Milano is practicing, they may be able to use Milano in a pitch count to ease him back this Monday so we can try more base defense against Pittsburgh.  A good problem to have, but I wouldn’t expect sweeping changes as the abills strategy has been all along to have a nickel defense.