AJ Klein named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

The real AJ Klein is probably somewhere in the middle of earlier in the season and how he’s playing now.  I just hope he has a few more of the good games coming up cause we will need it.  

He was very good in this defense in Carolina. It was more of a shock that he was playing bad in McDermott's defense. 

1 hour ago, HomeTeam said:

I'm surprised Joey bosa did not win that. Did he not have like 3 sacks, a fumble recovery and a bunch of tables for loss.

Anyways, happy for the guy. 

yep I was just going to post, Klein wasn’t even the best defensive player in the stadium last Sunday!

Still, great to see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He had a very good game, but this award is a joke.  Joey Bosa deserved that award, and it ain’t debatable.

Just another example of favoritism toward the Bills ....I hate that

• Haha (+1) 6

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You ought to create a thread.  AJ's award should be traded for a bag of donuts.

AJ and Bosa traded jerseys by the way.

Irrational ranters do not let facts prevent their campaigns.

I said Klein had a very good game, so why should I move my post to a thread that was initially quite critical of him? 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He had a very good game, but this award is a joke.  Joey Bosa deserved that award, and it ain’t debatable.

Here's the debate which is very simple. 

Bosa was on a losing team.

Doesn't matter what he did. His team lost. He didn't do enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

How could anyone watch the Bills Chargers game and come away thinking that Klein was the defensive player of the week? Bosa was significantly better. 

I'm still annoyed by this play on the Chargers first TD drive:

3rd & 10 at BUF 22

(8:08 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Herbert pass short left to A.Ekeler pushed ob at BUF 8 for 14 yards (A.Klein).

Klein bit on a screen play and wasn't fast enough to chase down Ekeler. He cost us a probable 4 points on that play. 

That’s actually one of the first things Klein talked about in his press conference. I believe they asked him how he felt about being the “attack man” on defense running around and blitzing and everything. He gave kudos to the staff for putting him in the right position and then talked about how he made some plays but there are some he wants back and needs to continue to work out... specifically mentioned this play as one he was blitzing on, but has a responsibility to grab the back and he got caught attacking too much. 

He seems extremely intelligent... teammates have been expressing the same thoughts. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was very good in this defense in Carolina. It was more of a shock that he was playing bad in McDermott's defense. 

He’s playing an entirely different position that he’s never played before, he said he’s played MIKE and SAM during his career but never the WILL position they’re having him play. No camp or anything is going to have an impact on this, not an excuse, just one of the reasons why things have taken so long to get right. 

For Klein, he said several things played into his subpar play at the beginning of the season. He added he isn’t one to make excuses but a move from ‘mike’ to ‘will’ linebacker, a position he’s never played before, was a big part of it. There was a learning curve and now he said he seems to be playing looser.

“I feel like I’m playing more free, faster, not thinking as much,” Klein said. “I’m playing will linebacker now, and the rest of my career I’ve always played mike. So that adjustment, and I’m not making any excuses for early in the season and my play, but I just feel like I’m playing fast and I’m trying to run around and make plays, and the less I think the more I’m reacting.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Klein should have won it two weeks ago and Bosa this week. I mean, I'm a homer but come on LOL

Still, congrats!

What I like best about him is NO hesitation when he closes in on the tackle. And so far, that hasn't made totally miss one tackling air. That will happen for sure, but still, I like that. Too many defenders are hesitant and unless they quickly get help, they are standing still. He sprints to the target. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

This is fantastic for the "Cut Klein" crowd, because now we won't be able to afford his megabucks contract extension!

I know this is a joke but it inspired me to look up his actual contract.

3 years, $18M

Nice to have when going into negotiations with Milano.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I was thinking that same thing, happy for AJ but Bosa deserved it, we couldn't stop him.

I had to think about this.

On the one hand, Bosa 100% "popped" more on film.  He was a disruptive force, no doubt.  But at the end of the day, his team lost.

I didn't do a "Bosa hunt" to look at his impact on the Bills "big chunk" plays, but when you have a team that's built a rep as a poor running team rack up 172 yds rushing against your team (that is the highest total they've had this year, and the 2nd highest was against a noted good rushing team), it's possible he might have had some role in that somewhere.  Now it may have been his assigned role - the Chargers kind of "sold out" to limit our passing game and we said "OK, we'll run then" - but still, it's something that's looked at.

25 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Put him at MLB next year and try Edmunds on the outside or DE. 

No thanks. His lack of range is already enough of a liability and it would be magnified with him playing in the middle.