What happened to the deep ball?

Penfield45

Many defenses have been playing to keep things in front of them against the Bills. They saw how effective the Bills were in the first few games and adjusted. Not having John Brown really hurts the deep attack too.

And I don't care. Why is it a requirement to have deep balls every game? Sometimes it's best to just take the short and intermediate stuff the defense gives you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I literally saw it happen today for another team. Didn’t make the pick, but he was in position to. Totally blanking on the db, but the player is better than average. If I remember, I’ll let you know.

I'd be happy to look at it but you already said he didn't make the pick. Which is what I was saying; you just can't pull down interceptions trying to turn around at that speed.

You can throw yourself into the trajectory of the throw with your hands waving around near the ball, but you're not going to pull it in.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The reason why he didn't turn around is because he was beaten so badly that he needed to run through him to try and get back in the play.

I disagree. But I think you know that by now! This is not a guy who was outrun by diggs:

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'd be happy to look at it but you already said he didn't make the pick. Which is what I was saying; you just can't pull down interceptions trying to turn around at that speed.

You can throw yourself into the trajectory of the throw with your hands waving around near the ball, but you're not going to pull it in.

He dropped it, but an int really was a viable outcome. Dbs play db for a reason. That’s all i am saying.

Edited by dave mcbride

Maybe its just me but I feel like Allen hasn't been on when it comes to his deep bombs this year. Today that pass to diggs wasn't amazing but it drew the big foul. And the davis catch didn't seem like a bomb and it definitely wasn't in stride. I might be nitpicking but I think we all want to see that famous cannon drop a 50 yard dime in stride a little more often.

No brown, no run game, no TE makes it easy for teams to take away the deep ball.

Early in the year teams weren't prepared for the bills to be a passing juggernaut. 

We are desperate for more playmakers on offense and I think McBeane knows this and will do something about it this off-season. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

No brown, no run game, no TE makes it easy for teams to take away the deep ball.

Early in the year teams weren't prepared for the bills to be a passing juggernaut. 

The Bills are the only good offense in the league without an above average receiving threat at TE or RB.  One or both ought to be addressed in the offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Dbs play db for a reason. That’s all i am saying.

Best athletes on the field, but still only human.

That guy was beat when Diggs broke his cushion and he made the best possible play he could possibly make just getting back into it.

Frankly, I thought it was such a great play that I didn't really like the flag.

But now we're just pickin nits aren't we? - )

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

Be a team player, become a chiefs fan

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was covered and if the DB had turned around it may well have been a pick. It wasn’t a terrible throw, but a better db can make that a pick. 

He was going past the DB but Allen had slightly underthrown it. Five yards further and Diggs catches it running away.

And in any case, it was a success. And you can bet is scared the bejeesus out of the Chargers D.

3 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

The Bills are the only good offense in the league without an above average receiving threat at TE or RB.  One or both ought to be addressed in the offseason.

Singletary and Moss are both excellent receiving threats. Yeldon too, for that matter.

We just don't throw to them much, probably because our WRs are so excellent.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Best athletes on the field, but still only human.

That guy was beat when Diggs broke his cushion and he made the best possible play he could possibly make just getting back into it.

Frankly, I thought it was such a great play that I didn't really like the flag.

But now we're just pickin nits aren't we? - )

It simply was NOT PI.

If it was against the Bills we would be furious.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

KC has Travis Kelce terrorizing everyone underneath/intermediate, which opens up deep shots to Tyreek Hill.  

Up until today, recent defenses have actually been taking away the explosive plays from KC as well.  

Brown has been hobbled/out ever since those first 4 games.  

Diggs doesn’t have Thielen out there right now with no Brown... until Davis starts snatching souls week to week, we’re going to have to be more methodical UNLESS we can force teams to fear our run game.  

Getting Brown back changes all that, and it’s also why we sure as **** better get a second speed WR on the roster next year.  

^^^^  this ^^^^

excellent analysis

Edited by Distorted One

7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

do you watch the games?

Said this last month before McKenzie caught the TD. McKenzie needs to be used as a deep target running fly routes a few times a game. 
    With Diggs on the team we have a great extra coach who can work with him on getting off the line and double moves.

He is our fastest WR and could take the top off most Defenses.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Somebody wanna tell this kid this ain’t Madden? 🤦‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As others have said, we attempted a few today. But your point is still Valid.

I think part of it is lack of confidence by JA In completing those. He’s still not accurate on the bombs, and I’m sure he knows it. I think the other part of it is we need more of a speedster out there with straight line speed— like how we had Robert Foster. Maybe Diggs can run those, but seems like his strength is intermediate stuff. 

I think McKenzie can run if they really want him to be that downfield threat.  But I think it is more than just having a speedy WR