Jump to content

What happened to the deep ball?


Recommended Posts

Many defenses have been playing to keep things in front of them against the Bills. They saw how effective the Bills were in the first few games and adjusted. Not having John Brown really hurts the deep attack too.

 

And I don't care. Why is it a requirement to have deep balls every game? Sometimes it's best to just take the short and intermediate stuff the defense gives you.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gabe Davis too on the free play.

He was covered and if the DB had turned around it may well have been a pick. It wasn’t a terrible throw, but a better db can make that a pick. 

Diggs had him beat and the throw was fine.   There’s a reason why burnt corners don’t just turn around and intercept everybody. 

Posted Images

To Allen's credit, both times he threw it deep today good things happened (although one was only attempted because of a defensive offside).

 

I think this is also why the rushing offense has been so poor (minus today and NE) because teams know we don't throw downfield and are strictly a dink and dunk type of offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I literally saw it happen today for another team. Didn’t make the pick, but he was in position to. Totally blanking on the db, but the player is better than average. If I remember, I’ll let you know.

I'd be happy to look at it but you already said he didn't make the pick. Which is what I was saying; you just can't pull down interceptions trying to turn around at that speed.

You can throw yourself into the trajectory of the throw with your hands waving around near the ball, but you're not going to pull it in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

 

The reason why he didn't turn around is because he was beaten so badly that he needed to run through him to try and get back in the play.

I disagree. But I think you know that by now! This is not a guy who was outrun by diggs:

.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'd be happy to look at it but you already said he didn't make the pick. Which is what I was saying; you just can't pull down interceptions trying to turn around at that speed.

You can throw yourself into the trajectory of the throw with your hands waving around near the ball, but you're not going to pull it in.

He dropped it, but an int really was a viable outcome. Dbs play db for a reason. That’s all i am saying.

Edited by dave mcbride
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe its just me but I feel like Allen hasn't been on when it comes to his deep bombs this year. Today that pass to diggs wasn't amazing but it drew the big foul. And the davis catch didn't seem like a bomb and it definitely wasn't in stride. I might be nitpicking but I think we all want to see that famous cannon drop a 50 yard dime in stride a little more often.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No brown, no run game, no TE makes it easy for teams to take away the deep ball.

 

Early in the year teams weren't prepared for the bills to be a passing juggernaut. 

 

We are desperate for more playmakers on offense and I think McBeane knows this and will do something about it this off-season. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Process said:

No brown, no run game, no TE makes it easy for teams to take away the deep ball.

 

Early in the year teams weren't prepared for the bills to be a passing juggernaut. 

 

The Bills are the only good offense in the league without an above average receiving threat at TE or RB.  One or both ought to be addressed in the offseason.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Dbs play db for a reason. That’s all i am saying.

Best athletes on the field, but still only human.

That guy was beat when Diggs broke his cushion and he made the best possible play he could possibly make just getting back into it.

Frankly, I thought it was such a great play that I didn't really like the flag.

But now we're just pickin nits aren't we? - )

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

Be a team player, become a chiefs fan

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was covered and if the DB had turned around it may well have been a pick. It wasn’t a terrible throw, but a better db can make that a pick. 

 

 

He was going past the DB but Allen had slightly underthrown it. Five yards further and Diggs catches it running away.

 

And in any case, it was a success. And you can bet is scared the bejeesus out of the Chargers D.

 

3 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

 

The Bills are the only good offense in the league without an above average receiving threat at TE or RB.  One or both ought to be addressed in the offseason.

 

 

Singletary and Moss are both excellent receiving threats. Yeldon too, for that matter.

 

We just don't throw to them much, probably because our WRs are so excellent.

Edited by Thurman#1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Simon said:

Best athletes on the field, but still only human.

That guy was beat when Diggs broke his cushion and he made the best possible play he could possibly make just getting back into it.

Frankly, I thought it was such a great play that I didn't really like the flag.

But now we're just pickin nits aren't we? - )

 

 

It simply was NOT PI.

If it was against the Bills we would be furious.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCBills said:

KC has Travis Kelce terrorizing everyone underneath/intermediate, which opens up deep shots to Tyreek Hill.  
 

Up until today, recent defenses have actually been taking away the explosive plays from KC as well.  
 

Brown has been hobbled/out ever since those first 4 games.  
 

Diggs doesn’t have Thielen out there right now with no Brown... until Davis starts snatching souls week to week, we’re going to have to be more methodical UNLESS we can force teams to fear our run game.  
 

Getting Brown back changes all that, and it’s also why we sure as **** better get a second speed WR on the roster next year.  

 

^^^^  this ^^^^

excellent analysis

Edited by Distorted One
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

do you watch the games?

Link to post
Share on other sites

    Said this last month before McKenzie caught the TD. McKenzie needs to be used as a deep target running fly routes a few times a game. 
    With Diggs on the team we have a great extra coach who can work with him on getting off the line and double moves.

     He is our fastest WR and could take the top off most Defenses.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

Somebody wanna tell this kid this ain’t Madden? 🤦‍♂️

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...